CLOSED: UpStairs on the Square

Contact 617-864-1933

91 Winthrop St, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 02138

Serves meat, vegan options available. Upscale restaurant near Harvard - offers a vegetarian and a vegan tasting menu. Attentive servers who will coordinate closely with head chefs to make sure your dietary concerns as well as taste preferences are attended to. A sommelier who knows vegan wine (biodynamic options). SHUT DOWN DEC 2013, CONFIRMED.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by jackienatale

So not worth it - Edit

My partner and I tried this place out mainly because they have options for both of us (he has no dietary restrictions). I ordered the vegan tasting menu and he got the steak. My five-course meal had nothing to write home about. Everything was bleh... Nothing stood out in terms of taste, presentation, and creativity. For what it's worth, my partner didn't like his steak either, said it was tough. At this price level (we paid $100 for our meals with a beer and tax plus tip), I can easily think of a handful of other places where we could have a much nicer dinner for a lot less. Not to mention they had the décor of a tacky barbie house - lots of pink, purple, and animal prints. One time is more than enough for this place.

Cons: meh food, overpriced, tacky décor

Vegan menu "seasonal" - Edit

I'm a vegan married to a non vegan...and we wanted to try this place out last week. I was excited to see a vegan tasting menu on their menu. Before we headed out for our reservation though, I called just to be sure and was told that they have a vegetarian tasting menu, but the vegan tasting menu was only "seasonal" now it's summer here in Boston, so what other season would they have it? The man on the phone told me i could find other vegan items on the menu however, and i asked, will i see those vegan items online? and he said "you mean vegetarian?" no...i mean vegan. Turns out there isn't anything vegan...we decided to go somewhere else. I might try again another time and see if i can get the seasonal vegan tasting menu, but i'm not too optimistic about it.

thatsnotvegan I suggest that next time you ask them to speak to the chef, and they will arrange something for you.

This is an upscale restaurant in Boston that is very expensive, they will do anything to please you.

Even if you call only a day in advance, they will not only make you special and unique dishes but will even give you pairings of biodynamic local wines that match the dishes well.

I had an excellent experience when I went, but didn't remember enough about it to give an honest review.

Return to Cambridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: UpStairs on the Square closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1258 times since Nov 2010.