Tula Kitchen

• Veg-friendly
Contact 631-539-7183

41 E Main St (at 3rd Ave), Bay Shore, New York, USA, 11706

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegetarian options in addition to fish and poultry. Tofu, seitan, tempeh in vegetarian dishes.

Category: Lacto, American, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by DJ Oshiana

staff isn't knowledgeable about ingredients - Edit

I told the waitress before ordering that I was vegan and gluten free (basically from their menu I could only have a salad).. and she actually got another waitress to help us that was more knowledgeable about ingredients and could better help our table.. I ordered the Greek salad without the meat or cheese... I start eating the salad and start tasting cheese.. I ask the waitress for the ingredients in the salad dressing and turns out theres cheese in it... mind you, I'm not vegan only by choice, im ALLERGIC to dairy as well... the manager came over and offered a gift card which was nice and they were sorry which i appreciated but the damage had been done and i felt sick for the rest of the week. I don't see a reason to come back after this.. menu wasn't really that healthy to begin with and not many interesting vegan options..

Pros: just bought out store space next door so it's huge

Cons: expensive, staff not knowledgeable about ingredients, menu lacks diversity.. nothing really excited

Love Tula Kitchen - Edit

It's a 40 minute drive from our house but we've come to Tula many, many times. Never disappoints. It's rare to find a nice place that satisfies vegans and omnivores equally well. The vegan choices are interesting and substantial. Great drinks too.

Pros: Cuisine, Drinks, Atmosphere

Why Do People Like this Place? - Edit

I am glad that there is a restaurant that caters to vegetarians and vegans. With that said, I have tried this place on multiple occasions hoping that it was a one time thing, but each time I found the food to be not so good. And I can't explain exactly why. And it's not just me. I went with a group of "vegheads" and everyone felt the same way. The atmosphere is so cool it's a darn shame. But this place is always packed, so I guess maybe I have high standards or everyone else just has really bad taste. I don't know. You decide.
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 09, 2013

Pros: Atmosphere, Bar

Cons: Food needs improvement

Vegan options, most soy/wheat gluten - Edit

I've tried a few dishes here over the years, and they have been tasty. I wish they offered more vegan items that did not include fake meat. (Tofu, seitan, etc) if you like that kind of stuff, you will love it here. I try to eat more whole foods so I only go here occasionally. But still glad to have this open close to home.

Pros: Good selection

Cons: No gluten free bread

awesome! - Edit

Ate there for my first time last nite. A little on the pricey side, the hummus was to die for. They have a bean salad and pita appetizers (just comes to the table free) that was also killer. Tempeh reuben with vegan Swiss and the black bean burger were also insane. Service absolutely divine (ask for Chrissy), and the atmosphere wad great.

Pros: great staff, awesome food, great decor

Cons: pricey

Delicious, Perfect for Date Night - Edit

I've ordered 'take out' as well as sat down on a dinner date with my husband at this beautifully decorated restaurant. The owner has made this venue full functional for vegans and vegetarians as well as their friends who are neither to enjoy a meal together with someone for everyone. Delicious, delicious. Crab cakes are unreal and the menu makes your mouth water. Enjoy!

Pros: food, sultry interior, non veg-friend friendly too

Excellent Vegetarian Options - Edit

Delicious food and an interesting intimate atmosphere. Not entirely Vegetarian, but a decent selection of vegetarian and vegan options. One of the few places on Long Island where you will find Seitan and Tempeh. The tofu crab cakes and seared seitan were particularly good on multiple occasions. Chefs are considerate to disclose ingredrients that may not be vegetarian...something that other restaurants overlook. Service is kind and not overly attentive, can take a while to get your check but the food is well worth any wait.

Pros: Tasty Food, Polite Waitstaff, Decent Prices

Cons: Small Space

Return to Bay Shore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tula Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1782 times since Aug 2008.