Tiger Lily Cafe

Contact 219-921-0488

1505-2 S Calumet Rd, Chesterton, Indiana, USA, 46304

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe with a separate vegetarian/vegan menu section with dishes containing seitan, faux meat, vegan cheese in sandwiches and wraps. Has soy ice cream and vegan baked goods. Breakfast burrito and tofu scramble are vegan. Previously named Local Flavors. Open Tue-Sat 7:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by Vespatarian

YUM! - Edit

I was on a road trip with my dad and we saw Tiger Lily Cafe's billboard on the highway advertising vegan food so I insisted we stop there. The café is colorful and fun. They have a separate vegan menu with tons of options. I ordered the BBQ sandwich with the vegan macaroni salad as a side. Both were SO good! They also have an amazing dessert counter with lots of vegan options. I tried some pink cake, a vegan chocolate dipped peanut butter cookie, and a bite of my dad's vegan rice krispy treat. ALL DELICIOUS! I highly recommend you stop here. I will definitely go back.

Pros: Seperate vegan menu, Vegan bakery items

Fantastic vegan lunch! - Edit

The restaurant is located in an unassuming building with other businesses, but it is a stand out anywhere. Our (vegan menu) lunches (chick'n wrap, pub sandwich and blta) were each delicious. The restaurant also has a thriving bakery with many vegan options, and both the restaurant and bakery were busy with happy diners. We appreciated the outdoor seating as we are traveling with our dog, who staff greeted with a bowl of water.

We would give Tiger Lily Cafe 5 stars if we could.

Pros: many vegan selections

Great vegan options - Edit

This place has its own vegan menu with many options, plus several vegan bakery items and vanilla ice cream.

The taco salad is huge and delicious. My boyfriend and I shared it and could not finish it. We also added salsa for extra flavor. My boyfriend ordered the pub sandwich, which we both loved and I keep thinking about. The bread was soft and the seitan was flavored in a unique way. I highly recommend, the hype is warranted.

I ordered the fish tacos to try something completely different from what I usually eat or what is offered at other restaurants. I was not a fan. It might have been the slaw, which I normally don't like. My boyfriend liked them though.

The apple muffin and red velvet cupcake were awesome too.

If I didn't like 1.5 hours away from this place, I would eat here all the time. I seriously can't stop thinking about the pub sandwich.

Pros: Many delicious options, Priced well

Cons: I wish they were open later and on Sundays

amazing!! - Edit

We had the chicken bacon ranch salad, pub sandwich, avocado and cucumber wrap, and mac salad (all vegan) and everything was amazing. We had the vanilla ice cream, lemon yum yum tart, snicker doodle cookie and all very very good. Everyone was very friendly and the cafe is very clean. I would def recommend this place.

Vegan Paradise in Northern Indiana! - Edit

Vegan's dream in northern Indiana! They asked right away as we entered if we wanted the vegan/vegetarian menu and while we ordered they confirmed everything was vegan (salad dressings, etc...)

The food was great, I wanted to order more but we only had enough stomach space for 1 meal ;)

I had the "bacon" seitan and Daiya "cheddar" panini with a fresh salad...delicious! My husband had the Chipotle "chicken" seitan wrap and we kept examining the seitan because we couldn't believe it wasn't really chicken! Everything had great flavor and were good prices. They offer everything on the regular menu as a vegan option as well, so you can go with a group that have mixed diets.

The workers were so friendly and checked on us regularly. We got some groceries at the end and added them to our food bill. We will definitely be back if we are in the area again!

Find them on Facebook for updates on hours, menu changes, etc...

Pros: Separate Vegan/Vegetarian menu, Great prices, Many vegan options

Cons: No vegan desserts listed

Comfort food and other treats - Edit

I grew up in Chesterton so I was excited when my family told me that Local Flavors opened. Local Flavors is a family run store and restaurant. I have been there several times and have tried almost all of the sandwiches that are on their menu. I would recommend the Vegan Gyro and Vegan Pub Sandwich. Although pricey for just a sandwich and plain chips (7.50), they are a good treat once and a while. They also sell Chicago soy dairy Ice Cream and have a store with vegan faux meat, soy cheeses, and other processed items. Their store items can be a bit pricey as well. They usually have a fresh baked good for sale as well, which are usually tasty.
They also have meat options and dairy Ice Cream from Valpo Velvet.

Wonderful Vegan Food/Shopping - Edit

I have eaten here twice and will be going back often. The vegan food is fabulous and it's reasonable. They have non-vegan options as well if you have other people with you. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. There is also an ice cream counter (vegan), wonderful desserts (also vegan options)and coffee available. In addition, the whole restaurant is situated in a mini store where you can get groceries and some very eclectic items. They have a good assortment of unique children's items. I like to shop here when I need a different gift or stocking stuffers. One of my favorite places to go! BTW, the vegan Italian "Beef" is amazing. This is a little hard to find the first time. Look for sign for Sawgrass Mall on Calumet.

Pros: Great Food, Good Variety, Reasonable

The Best Veg Restaurant in NW Indiana - Edit

I had the veggie bacon, egg & cheese sandwich. I asked them to add avocado and it was no problem at all. This sandwich was grilled to perfection. An absolute delight. The veggie gyro is another crowd pleaser, as are the waffles.

Note that this place is in the Sawgrass shopping center (a small/medium strip mall) and was a little hard to find. Look for the Sawgrass sign on Calumet. The restaurant is in the middle.

For out-of-towners, the addition of this restaurant makes Chesterton a "veggie destination" in my book. It's an hour from Chicago which makes it a great day trip. Chesterton is filled with antique shops. The Sawgrass mall itself is filled with different craft stands and vendors. The Brassie Golf Club is great 18 hole public course in Chesterton. The Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is 10 minutes north.

Pros: amazing food, friendly service, lots of parking & seating

Cons: little hard to find

Best vegan meal in NWI - Edit

I have been to Local Flavors four times now and it just keeps getting better. From the calzones to the Temptation vegan ice cream this place is truly a vegan oasis in the food desert of North West Indiana. The staff are super friendly and knowledgeable, the prices are reasonable and the portions are perfect. I just can't say enough good about this place.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

awesome!!!!!! - Edit

i went here last week and am going again this week because it was so good. i had vegan blta and it was amazing. everyone liked their food. i had a vegan ice cream cone and i felt like i was cheating and eating dairy. my sister-a meat and dairy eater-ate one too and liked it. she thought the mint was sorta weird tasting but thought the chocolate was amazing. i cant wait to go back. and the store has lots of choices of meats. the barbecue skewers are wonderful. and the workers of both the store and the restaurant were so helpful and fabulous. loved it!!!!!

Pros: good prices, wonderful food, several vegan choices

Cons: close early

The good stuff... - Edit

Local Flavors is well worth the trip! They offer many different menu options ranging from fresh fruit smoothies to savory seitan dishes. It is such a great alternative to the usual veg/vegan options available locally. The menu is constantly changing so check in often to see what's happening!

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff, Vegan friendly

Return to Chesterton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tiger Lily Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4052 times since Aug 2010.