The Pocket Espresso

8 Seaview Terrace, Moffat Beach, Sunshine Coast, Queensland

Serves meat, vegan options available. Tiny cafe in the shops at Moffat Beach. Serves quick cafe food with vegan options on the menu. Open Mon-Sun 6:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Australian, Non-veg

First Review by Spen

Awful - ants in food - Edit

Awful. Ants in the meal at Pocket Espresso.

Went here with family members, one of whom found it on a vegan food review website. The family member who is vegan ordered and paid for a satay salad dish, specifying it was vegan option. When it arrived, it had a fried egg on it. The wait staff took it back and brought her another one. This second one had at least three ants that we could see, crawling through the salad. When my family member went back to the counter to point this out, the waitress asked her what she would like to do with it. She asked if they could make it again, without the ants please.

On the third attempt, a reasonable looking salad arrived. Ten minutes later, a North-American-accented female chef came out to apologise. She said she stuffed the first one up because she usually puts eggs on the salads, and did so as it was a routine (despite heavily advertising themselves as "vegan friendly", and acknowledging we did order the vegan option). For the second dish, she apologized for the ants by explaining they decorate dishes with flowers from the garden, and while they rinse them off, they can't wash them too hard otherwise the flower gets damaged. My family member accepted the apology.

Five minutes later, the chef came back with a coffee card and said as an apology we could have a free coffee there at any time. This family member doesn't drink coffee, so gave it to someone else.

We are not the kind of family to kick up any fuss, but I don't think any of us were happy with this service. Discussing it afterwards, we all agreed that if we had heard this experience from another, we would never have gone to this place. I leave it to you to decide, but I cannot recommend this place to anyone.

Pros: Food reasonably presented

Cons: Ants present in the meal, Poor customer service, Not vegan friendly

Return to Sunshine Coast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Pocket Espresso closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.