The Maple Tree

403-986-1199

5 Fir St, Red Deer, Alberta, Canada, T4N 4Y1

Serves meat, vegan options available. A mostly gluten-free bakery and cafe. Accepts orders for custom cakes, including vegan. Serves sandwiches and other food - ask for veg/vegan. Open Tue-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm, Sat 9:00am-2:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by Breannebanane

Fantastic - Edit

I love this bakery! It is the only place that I can go in red deer where I know I am guaranteed to get gluten free and vegan food. Since not everything they sell is vegan it will not allow a 5/5 star rating but I definetly would rate it as such if I could. The goodies you can buy are phenomenal you can get cake, cupcakes, bars, energy bites, breads, cinnamon buns, pizza crusts and so much more. Every Thursday they do a vegan lunch which has always had me going back for more. I recommend this place to all of my friends and family. They are accomodating to so many different dietary needs. A must try if you are in red deer or surrounding area.

Pros: Gluten free , Vegan options , Friendly service

Great food, friendly staff! - Edit

Not all vegan but they usually have several vegan and vegetarian treats! Vegan cupcakes. Gluten free bakery.
They also usually serve a lovely vegan lunch on Thursdays!
The staff are very accommodating and will make a coconut icing if you don't want dairy. Worth a visit! Lovely gluten free bread!

Pros: Gluten free, Many vegan options, Thursday vegan lunch

Friendly but a bit lacking. - Edit

After finding it on Happy Cow, we made a trip to The Maple Tree while visiting friends in the area, and although the staff were very pleasant we honestly found it to be a bit lacking; (I hate to not have wonderful things to say about a place that's trying to do good things with their vegan foods, but whats a review worth if it not an honest perspective?)

It felt more like a "factory shop" than a "sit down, chat and relax" cafe as the interior and exterior of the store was quite basic and uninviting, and this again confused us a bit as to what sort of place Maple Tree actually is!

The cakes we had were quite nice, no complaints there, but the range is quite modest and there didn't seem to be much stock on the shelves to pick from. They don't seem to sell stuff like sandwiches / meal type dishes. so it seems to be mainly cakes or whole loaves to pick from, which again seemed a little odd! Range of drinks was also quite modest too.

One nice thing was that on the menu they had clearly identified which items were vegan / gluten free etc. Much appreciated.

Pros: Clearly identified vegan / gluten free items, Pleasant staff, Some nice cakes

Cons: Uninviting exterior and interior., Small range of foods & drinks., out of the way location

Good to see a local business offering a wide range of gluten free and vegan goods. - Edit

Although I've never had any of the lunches offered here, the baked goods never disappoint. They're tasty and the owner is always trying new recipes and changing things up while maintaining a consistent menu of favourites. I really enjoy the gladiator cookies.

Pros: Lots of vegan options and consistent quality

Return to Red Deer Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Maple Tree closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.