The Joomak

Shop 34, LCX, Level 3, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, 17 Canton Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China

Serves meat, vegan options available. Korean restaurant at Ocean Centre with vegetarian menu available. Menu is also in English. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Ovo, Korean, Non-veg

First Review by SamanthaIngridHo

No Concept of Veganism - Edit

I think the owner -- or whoever created the vegan menu -- obviously knows what veganism is (they even have a symbol for items that have not been cooked using the same utensils as other food! Never seen that in HK before!) but the rest of the staff who work there have no idea what veganism is.

I ordered the corn with the vegan cheese sauce (clearly labelled as "vegan" on the menu) but my friend thought to ask in Cantonese if it was vegan just to make sure. The server asked the kitchen, who apparently said no, it wasn't vegan. I got really annoyed and tried to educate the server about how they can't label items as vegan when they're not! He obviously didn't care and just walked away.

I ended up ordering another dish instead but halfway through our meal another server came over and told us the corn was indeed vegan (didn't apologise, just told us). Still didn't know if I could trust them, especially since the "kitchen" said it wasn't! They obviously need to train their staff about these things, otherwise don't advertise a "vegan" menu!!!

the joomak - Edit

a group of us visited this place on 10 June 2017 and ordered from the vegan/vegetarian menu. except for some haphazard service despite there being very few customers (we weren't served water until we asked for it, and even then, only four glasses were served when there were eight of us) everything was great and we were enjoying the food.

that is, until the second plate of vegan beef fried rice was served.

one of our vegan friends took a bite and asked if we had placed the wrong order, as it tasted like real beef. two omnivorous friends tried it too and our suspicions were aroused - those who tried it hadn't encountered mock meat that tasted so much like the real thing.

when we enquired with the waitress, she went away to check our order and confirmed that the dish was vegan. it was only when we insisted that she went off again, checked with the chef, and told us that we had been mistakenly served real beef instead of vegan beef!

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-23

Cons: served real beef instead of vegan beef, lax service, not cheap

A rare Korean veg-friendly place - Edit

Most of Korean food can't be vegetarian friendly because basically their kimchi are with fish sauce in it and their food are always with kimchi. This is a nice Korean restaurant located in Tsim Sha Tsui. They have a full page of vegetarian menu. We tried the stir-fried rice cake, deep fried vegetarian chicken (made with tofu), ginseng soup. The rice cake is a bit too sweet. The deep fried veg chicken is not spicy and is not hot. The ginseng soup is very good. Overall not bad. The view of the restaurant is super. It's facing the victoria harbour. This place is worth going.

Pros: Nice environment

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Joomak closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.