The Butcher's Daughter

Contact n/a

1205 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice, California, USA, 90291

Opened Jan 2016 this restaurant, originating from New York, offers modern vegetarian cuisine. Features a wood-fire oven for making pizzas and in-house pastry chef. Trendy beach decor and plenty of seating. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Juice bar, Fusion

First Review by vtraveller

Take Out Review - Edit

After hearing about this place through the grape vine, I decided to try it after I drove by the area. I had a limited amount of time so I called in my order and it was ready within—no joke —15 minutes. I ordered the BLT and I was in love, that sandwich had such an amazing flavor profile. The bread wast crispy but still a little soft on the inner face, the "bacon" was extremely flavorful and the other components complimented it beautifully (especially that basil). This was— dare I say— one of the BEST sandwiches I've ever had.

I've read that the restaurant still had some kinks to work out so I hope to go back and dine in sometime to see if my experience would differ.

Beautifully decorated, inviting vegetarian spot - Edit

Butcher's Daughter is more of a 3.5 star. Once it's open a bit longer and works out its kinks, it could easily be a 4 or 5 star place for us.

I'd say the main thing that tips this to a 4 is the beautiful decor. Each decoration was thought of, and the inside is immaculately decorated - it reminds me of Gracias Madre in West Hollywood. The space is large and airy and there's a small area to sit outside in large comfy chairs. They have a perfect spot right in the middle of Abbot Kinney, and there was a wait when we arrived at 10am on Saturday. We were able to sit at the back bar with no wait, but the stools were a bit small and uncomfortable, so I wouldn't rush to do that again unless we were really hungry.

Service was okay, if a bit slow/off. Our server mentioned it was his second day, and this place is obviously new, so hopefully they get into their groove sooner than later. We went with a friend and got a tea, decaf coffee and coffee. The coffee took quite awhile to come, and our friend had to ask about it 2x before it came, you'd think that'd be something they have on hand quickly on a busy Saturday morning. Overall food was generally tasty but small portions! It's not awfully priced, especially considering its location and what everyone's charging nearby, but we left a bit unsatisfied in terms of hunger. We had:
-Acai Bowl - This was just okay. It reminded me a lot of the one at Dogtown, but we've definitely had better and bigger bowls for less than $11. I wouldn't order it here again. Barely two blackberries on it, a strawberry and a small scattering of granola. The acai was quite sweet and not too smooth. Small was the biggest issue though.
-Egg Sandwich Platter - This was good, though I'd hardly call it a platter! Sandwich felt very tiny, and came with 1/8 of a green apple diced on the side. Flavor was very good - mix of egg, tomato jam and avocado on 7-grain bread. The creaminess you'd expect from this kind of sandwich was there, just wish there was more!
-Side of adzuki bacon - I had loved this when we had it at the NYC location. Here it was good, but it felt like it was trying to be and look too much like real bacon.

We did see them bring a breakfast pizza out to a table and that was sizable, so I guess it's a matter of ordering the right items here. They do have an extensive juice and smoothie menu as well with unique flavors you don't generally see offered elsewhere.

Excited to have another promising vegetarian spot on Abbot Kinney!

Tasty bakery treats, salty food - Edit

I had read about this place opening from happycow and waited a couple weeks before stopping in for lunch. Here's my The Butcher's Daughter review.

I wanted to like this place but left with mixed feeling. It has chic design and is in a hip street by Venice Beach and seemed to filled with diners whenever I went by.

The menu prices are moderate for the area but not cheap for vegans (we're used to getting more portion for our buck).

The spicy kale salad seemed promising but was a bit too simply and so salty. I couldn't eat more than 2 bites. $16

The spicy sausage pizza was also salty. For the vegan version the kitchen uses Daiya cheese. $18

The Basil BLT was the one item that I liked alright. The basil was fragrant, though for $13 it probably could come with a small side of something.

The real highlight was the baked goods case. I was told everything in there was vegan. I tried the sugar-coated pumpkin mini donut and the mini madeleine, and both were yummy.

Personally I would wait for a few months before I return. Once the kitchen smooths out whatever kinks there are, I'd like to give it another try.

Pros: good vegan baked treats, friendly service

Cons: too much salt, noisy, not cheap

hope it improves - Edit

I was super excited to try this new place as it recently opened. The space itself it pretty nice, high ceilings, well lit. It was busy when I stopped in and only counter was available. The noise level was very high which made me feel I needed to shout to speak to the waitress.
I ordered a kale salad, a pizza, and a sandwich off their menu which was limited to a few options due to the soft opening.
The spicy kale salad was extremely salty, and inedible in my opinion, though someone sitting next us said it theirs tasted great. Thankfully the waitress was kind enough to remove it from the bill.
The basil BLT was pretty good, though small. The spicy sausage pizza was okay, but it also seemed pretty salty to me. They said that it was made with cashew cheese, but it was obviously Daiya. When I asked the waitress to double-check, she returned with an apology. There seemed to be a lot of confusion over ingredients, and what was vegan, but that's likely normal for a new restaurant staffed by non-veg*ns.
I think most people eating there were not veg, and more just there for a trendy experience and quasi "healthy" food.
Even though I was told by the manager that the menu is all vegan except for adding eggs as an option, it seems that many items were not vegan without hacking the menu. Real cheese, dairy mayo, and honey are used in a number of options, so vegans be careful when ordering.

Pros: Nice space, Vegan Pizza

Cons: Overly Salty, Dairy in many options, Loud

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Butcher's Daughter closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.