The 78

Contact 0141-5765018

10-14 Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow, Scotland, G3 8NU

Glasgow vegan restaurant and pub. Good sized helpings. Selection of vegan and organic real ales. Thursday nights feature "Dub and Grub", free entry reggae music night with a vegan set menu. Food is served until 9pm nightly. Mon-Fri 12:30pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-12:00am

Category: Vegan, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Scottish

First Review by am22ssj

Love it! - Edit

The best nachos I've ever had (including the ones from pre-vegan times), good prices, great informal atmosphere, comfy sofas near fireplace available if you just want a drink or relax to recover from delicious, generously sized meal.

Pros: Good pub food, wide choice of drinks.

Absolutely delicious! - Edit

We enjoyed a fabulous vegan lunch - a 78 burger + vegan cheese, and a quesadilla - which were just the thing for a chilly damp August day before a quick 5 minute walk to Kelvingrove Art Gallery up the road. Everything was well cooked, fresh and flavourful, and I'm afraid we couldn't resist the desserts (brownie + ice cream and today's cake respectively) which were also delicious. Service was pleasant and efficient, and the place - though nothing much from the outside - was simple and stylish inside with plenty of room (just as well as the tables filled fairly fast!) with sofas as well as the main dining area. Dog-friendly too! Recommended.

Pros: Good food, Friendly service, Nice ambience

Cons: Could easily walk past unexciting exterior

I love this place - Edit

Great vegan pub/restaurant. Laid back with a real fire in the winter. No animal produce in anything they serve. Some of their beers are specially produced without isinglass so don't assume the same brands will be safe elsewhere.

I love the nachos and vegan breakfast on the weekend, and the coconut chilli refried bean wrap is amazing. i can't get enough of the spicy chips and vegan mayo. On a Thursday they have a limited set menu - eats and beats or something, with reggae music. it's always good but is obviously the chef's night off as it's just one starter, main and pud. I tend to go other nights with the full menu.

Staff are always super friendly and helpful, they know everything about the menu or will go and find out straight away if you have questions. My carnivore partner always wants to go back here so it's our favourite place!

Pros: the whole place is animal free, staff friendly and

Cons: not keen on the limited Thursday menu, but everyon

Happy days! - Edit

The 78 was fabulous! In Glasgow for the weekend, and obviously couldn't go past such a great all-vegan place.. and it did not disappoint! Great menu, friendly staff and such a warm atmosphere. I had the special, the Big Mac burger (yum!) and the nachos to start (which were so so good).. The only downside, I truly could not fit in dessert (which also looked amazing at the table next door)! But, there is always next time :)

Pros: Menu selection, Value for money, Atmosphere

Cons: No chips because the fryer wasn't working (althoug

Top marks! - Edit

The food is just delicious, I've tried several main courses and they've all been fantastic. Do save space for deserts they are to die for, especially the sticky toffee pudding :-)
It has a lovely, informal chilled vibe & the staff have always been great.
Another plus- you can take your dog in, so civilzed!
I'll definitely be back.

Pros: Delicious food, Relaxed & friendly atmosphere, Dog- friendly

great food! - Edit

They were doing a special theme night when I went there, just one set menu with Indian food. The entree and main were great, dessert was a little dry. Was very busy!

Pros: yummy food, big portions

Cons: packed

Best Breakfast ever!! - Edit

Went in with my son and 3 friends (all 19) after they'd been to a 'dub and grub' night the evening before and raved (sic) about how friendly it had been.

I was not disappointed. I had the breakfast (huge) and the lads had varies burgers, all had great reviews. And fantastic to be in a pub where the entire bar is vegan!!

Pros: Fantastic food. Friendly helpful staff Great buzz.

One of the best Vegan meals in Glasgow - Edit

Went for an early dinner on Sunday evening (around 4:30pm). Food was amazing I had the nachos and cajun fries... not really a full meal, but some of the best comfort food I have had since recently going form Vegetarian to Vegan. Came with a meat eater... who also spoke highly of the veggie burger there too!

Service was pretty slow... but its such a lovely place if you are not in a rush this place is perfect!

Pros: Great Food, great atmosphere

Cons: slowish service!

Good Mexican - Edit

We booked a table on Friday night which I would recommend since it gets really busy and we saw people being turned away. They have a good beer selection. It's a comfortable place with some big tables and lots of other couches and little corners to sit in. We had nachos to start which were great. The "mince" was sweet from coconut which was a nice change. It came with lots of jalapeños for some heat. We had quesadillas for mains which were full of "cheese" and really creamy. If you get the chips get some of the homemade mayo! The only thing is the kitchen closes kind of early at 8:45 so plan ahead.

Pros: Mexican comfort food, good beer selection

Cons: kitchen closes early

Tasty food and lovely staff - Edit

Visited for the first time today and will definitely be back. The food was lovely, good portions for the price. The staff were lovely too. Really recommend it.

Good second visit - Edit

I did visit in February and wrote an average review which was generous as I didn't get to eat due to poor service.
I was glad to get back and eat, all with some really good service. It was lunchtime and quiet which is maybe a good time to visit and there were a few specials on top of the normal menu.
We had a hummus platter, a lentil soup, a bean and coconut weap and the falafel burger. All the meals were good and the portion size big. The burger was a tad dry, but tasty.
Its a great environment with big and small table and I imagine has a great atmosphere when busy. There is plenty of choice for anyone and it really is worth a visit

Pros: vegan, Large portions, Great bar

Cons: service?

Great food, but come early! - Edit

Though I was only in Glasgow for a week, I went to 'The 78' four times. The food is absolutely fantastic; but out of the four times I went, I could only get food twice. While they say the kitchen closes at 8:45, sometimes they close earlier than that, which can be annoying when you're hungry and you've gone all the way there to get it!

Their quesadilla is to die for, and so is their soup (had the carrot and coriander one). Their brownies with ice-cream are fabulous as well. I would definitely recommend visiting it earlier in the afternoon to make sure you don't walk away disappointed!

I agree that the service isn't the best. You practically have to beg the staff for menus, and sometimes the wait time can be long (both for food and to order). While the waiters didn't seem particularly friendly, the locals that frequent the bar were absolutely charming, which gave me the feeling that perhaps they don't care much about tourists.

The decor is fantastic, and the place is really cozy! Both my vegetarian and omnivore friends loved it, and the prices are quite reasonable. A must if you're in Glasgow!

Pros: great food and decor, decently priced, good portions

Cons: not great/speedy service, kitchen closes earlier than advertised, dark

Quesedillas heaven - Edit

Just arrived in Glasgow in the afternoon and went straight to Westend to visit The 78 nearby Kensingrove museum and art galerie. We had the Quesedillas with seitan and vegan cheese which were delicious! Also the side salad, chips and mayonaise were very good. We had vanilla ice (best taste ever) and something with sticky toffee which was warm and very tasty. Tomorrow we will come back for lunch after our visit to Kensingrove.

Pros: only vegan food, nice staff

Great comfort food for and amazing deserts for good prices. - Edit

Their desserts are to die for and the mains are great too. The selection of beers isn't half bad either. The 78, Stereo, Mono, the Old Hairdressers and the Flying Duck are all owned by the same people and are all well worth the visit.

Pros: All vegan and really fairly priced.

Nice place, good food, friendly staff - Edit

We arrived on a day where there was only one meal option, basically a salad and a beetroot soup with bread. But it was great! Loved it. the last piece of chocolate cake was gone, they gave us the small piece that was left complimentary. This was the 3rd best but can easily move to 2nd. We were not in Glascow for long so could only come here once.

Pros: Good Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Low lighting, Loud music

Pretty food bar food but poor service - Edit

Overall, the food at The 78 was actually pretty good, though not very original, but many of the servers were not too friendly or helpful unfortunately.

We walked into The 78 on a Saturday around 6pm and it was already very busy. There were some tables but they were full and so we waited to see if someone would tell us if we should just wait or try to find a place for us but no one came so eventually we went up to the bar to ask about eating and the one friendly bartender said he wasn’t sure when people would be done. Since that wasn’t a very conclusive answer, we waited for a few minutes and got lucky when a group left.

We sat down and waited for a while for someone to come by and ask if we wanted menus. The menu itself is not very inventive and seems to have similar vegan favorites like falafel and a veggie burger that seem to be staples of most Glasgow vegan places. We ended up ordering a vegan nachos to start and then a vegetarian burger and a falafel burger. The waitress was not very helpful or pleasant to us and just took our order without a smile or any niceties. The food was actually pretty good despite the service. The chili nachos were really good and the coconut was a good addition, although I miss getting nachos with fresh chopped tomato and scallion, which I guess is not too common. My falafel burger special was very good as were the cajun fries but my partner, while she enjoyed the tomato basil soup, did not think her classic burger was especially good.

After dinner we waited a long time for the waitress to come by and ask us about dessert which we got a special lemon poppyseed cake slice which my partner liked. Then again we waited for a very long time to get the bill but no one came so we went up the bar to pay. The set up of the 78 is very nice, with a mix of small tables and larger communal ones in front of a homey-feeling bar. We had our meal in some of the armchairs around coffee tables by the windows, which weren’t the most conducive to eating, but were very comfy to sit in.

Pros: Good food

Cons: Service lacking, Few tables

Excellent pub - Edit

This is a pub, not a fancy restaurant, so it's understandable that the toilets are a bit rickety (one blocked, one without a seat, one without a lock). The food, though, is very good. There are very few vegan resturants where I live so I was quite excited about getting vegan cheese, sour cream etc on my quesadilla! Desserts (sticky toffee pudding, chocolate cake etc) were great. Staff were helpful, polite and friendly. Music seemed chosen for maximum kitsch.

Pros: Food is great, welcoming atmosphere

Cons: Dodgy toilets

My Local. - Edit

Good vegan food in a friendly pub environment. My partner would appreciate a few more gluten free options for coeliacs, but no complaints from me. I mostly have the special burger but there are plenty of other tempting choices.

Pros: Friendly, Good Value

Cons: Pub, so can get busy

Just a great meal at the pub - Edit

My friend and I had our first dinner in Glasgow here and it was a very nice experience. We were there on a Sunday and it had a really relaxed atmosphere and an old pub feel. A friendly, chatty bartender took care of us and we bought a pint and sat down on the couch with the menu. I felt it my duty to sample the 78 burger which sounded like a signature dish, and I was advised it was very good. My own verdict was that it was one of the most interesting burgers I’d ever tasted, with a dominant ginger flavour. However, while it was good, it was not the best I’d ever had. Full points for distinctiveness though and pretty reasonable pricewise (although it would stack up if you added extras). My companion chose the pea, spinach and coriander soup, and measured all soups that followed at other places by this benchmark. After dinner and a pint we finished off nicely by sharing three scoops of different flavoured ice cream. If I lived here I’d be here all the time.

Pros: Great pub atmosphere, Decent food, all vegan, Friendly staff

Be prepared to be stuffed! - Edit

The 78 is a great, sometimes really busy, restaurant with great food and daily specials. The meat free Mondays are particularly "dangerous" - you get a 2- or 3-course meal and so you might get really stuffed, since the main courses (especially falafel or burger) can be very large. I have never been able to eat a dessert (due to being so full :-)), so I can't tell you if the cakes are good, but the starters and the main courses definitely are. Service is friedly and helpful. Can't wait to go back there.

Pros: great food, inexpensive meat free Mondays

Cons: you are so stuffed you won't be able to , ...fit a piece of cake in!

Amazing!! - Edit

We ate here yesterday and it was absolutely amazing. I got the 78 burger and it was so delicious. The mayo is to die for and the think cut chips were super tasty. Will definitely be eating here again if i am ever in Glasgow again!

Pros: not too expensive , friendly helpful staff

Comodo, accogliente, porzioni abbondanti - Edit

A vederlo da fuori non si direbbe mai che è un posto vegano. Infatti praticamente non è scritto da nessuna parte. Porzioni abbondantissime, grande varietà, ci sono stata con un onnivoro a cui è piaciuto anche più di me. Atmosfera casereccia, forze servizio un po' lento, comodi divani e camino acceso in inverno. Ottimo rifugio nei numerosi giorni di pioggia. Ideale anche per famiglie.

Pros: Accogliente, Prezzo ok, Porzioni abbondanti

Meat free Monday - Edit

The 78 is a nice vegan coffee bar in Kelvingrove. The food is simply fantastic and the portions are gigantic. But beware of the "Meat Free Monday": Of course every day is meat free at the 78 but every Monday they offer 2 courses for £9.50 or 3 courses for £11.50. You will have to be very careful when you order or you might end up totally stuffed. :-)
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 27, 2014

Pros: excellent food, good value, nice atmosphere

I could easily spend all day here - in fact I did - Edit

I really like "The 78". I went there earlier in the year and thought it had a really nice wholesome atmosphere. I can't remember what I ate and my feelings towards the food but I do particularly remember that the staff were ultra friendly and helpful and that it was just a nice place to be. So I went back as I was passing through Glasgow with the specific intention of doing some work on my laptop and generally hanging out. There is a nice fire to relax by. Food was pretty decent - not outstanding but good pub grub...I had the three course meal which was very well priced...and the cake was very amazing...

Pros: Great atmosphere, Great cake, Good value

Lovely place, fantastic food!! - Edit

Surprised at how empty the place was - I guess 3pm is off-peak. Love the cafe-bar feel and the service was speedy and friendly. And the best part? The food! Generous portions and very well made; had the hummus and beetroot hummus dips with pitta and Cajun spiced chips (both listed as starters but were plenty as lunch for two). Then had the chocolate, orange and raspberry torte. Definitely recommend it - amazed it's vegan it's so rich!

Note: Can be easy to miss it's on a street just off of the main road, make sure you don't walk past it.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly atmoshpere, Good value

Cons: Can be very quiet

Good food, prices, slow service - Edit

The previous reviews stating that the service is slow are spot on. The food is very nice, and while the staff are congenial enough when they happen by your table, it is difficult to order anything. I repeatedly went up to the bar to request menu items and the bill, and the waitress acted like I was forcing her.

Still the food is good enough to recommend and return for more. The prices are very reasonable.

Pros: Nice food, Reasonable prices

Cons: Slow waitstaff, Waitress acts put upon

Nice enough food, slow service. - Edit

We went to the 78 on a lunch time when it was not busy and ordered our meals after waiting to be served for about 10 mins. The food took ages to come and the waiter forget several things we asked for. The food is nice enough and the prices are good but while the staff seem nice they are not quick or efficient.

Pros: Dog friendly, good prices, decent menu

Cons: Terrible service

Best Vegan Venue I've Found! - Edit

This is my personal favourite Vegan eatery and bar. I spent my 22nd birthday here and come back whenever I can since.

They can do no wrong with the food, the bar and nighttime entertainment is great and just the vibe of the place is great.

If Happy Cow offered a 10* rating this place would get mine!

Pros: Fab Food, Nice Welcome, Great Value

Cons: None!

Disappointing - Edit

We have been to the 78 a few times in the past, the menu is quite good as well as the vibe. My partner and I went there for lunch today and were rather disappointed. We did not get aknowledged at all upon sitting down (it was not even busy), we had to get the menu ourselves. It took them about 10 mins to get back to us to take our drinks order. We waited a fair bit for our food to arrive. After asking for the desert menu we waited 20 minutes (!) but noone ever got back to us to take an order - although we clearly had eye contact and made ourselves known. After having had to wait for that long we decided to just pay the bill and leave. Had to go back to the bar to ask for the bill and yet there was another wait of 10 minutes. Did not even get aknowledged. All in all very poor and not very friendly service at all. Seems to be going down hill.

Great dinner out! - Edit

Took a group of non-vegans here for dinner and it was great - the only downside was that they had a major kitchen equipment malfunction and so a lot of the menu was off for the night. There was a wonderful selection of beers and the quality of the food was superb, especially as we went on a Monday when they have a special offer of 2 courses for £9 so it was very good value.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Great beer

Good food but there was only 1 main dish - Edit

I went there for dinner on a Thursday evening. They only had one single dish which I found surprising but obviously their usual menu is not served Thursday evenings (see their webpage for more information). That evening they had tajine with couscous. It was very good even though in my opinion it had not even slightest similarity to what I know as tajine.

Pros: all vegan, tasty food

Cons: only 1 main dish Thursday evenings

Brilliant vegan pub with great 'comfort' food - Edit

Good pub grub at excellent prices. The food is all vegan, we had garlic bread, veggie burger and chips and a chocolate torte for dessert. All the food was very tasty and the service was quick and friendly. What more can you ask for?

Pros: All vegan, Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: A little out of the main part of town

Favourite in Glasgow - Edit

Our favourite restaurant in Glasgow. So nice to sit down and enjoy a meal without worrying whether they've stuck milk or butter in your dish and forgot to tell you. Great atmosphere, delicious food, nice selection of soft and alcoholic drinks.
Can't fault it.

Pros: Atmosphere, Tasty food, Value for money

Brilliant place - Edit

My friend and I came here for dinner after finding it on this website. It was a great, friendly and busy pub. The food was totally scrumptious, there were a good number of options on the menu and we had a lovely evening here.

Wonderful cosy place - a must for vegan foodies! - Edit

I go to The 78 all the time, it's easily the nearest to 'gourmet' vegan food that Glasgow has. I also take non-vegans there all the time, and without fail they are always pleasantly surprised and impressed by the choice and quality of food.

Last time I visited was on a Meat Free Monday and it was probably one of the best meals I've ever had there. I had the millet and quinoa cakes to start with - I've never had that before and it's quite unusual to come across something made which millet which is a shame as it's really good - and they were so nice. Very light and tasty - not stodgy at all. They came with a lovely little side salad and I really enjoyed them. For a main course I had one of the special pies - butterbeans and sweet potato perhaps - it was a week ago so I can't quite remember, but it was really lovely! So lovely in fact that I went back a few days later and had another pie, which was equally as good! For pudding, we shared a peanut butter and chocolate cake - it was delicious - and really moist and tasty.

Another favourite I have to mention is the coconut and bean chilli - you can get it as a starter with nachos and it is soooo good!

It's a cosy wee place - it often has a coal fire burning, and the employees are really friendly and pleasant too.

The menu changes quite frequently, and they do some really fantastic bargains - at the moment (Nov 2011) they are doing a Meat free Monday deal of 2 courses for £8 or 3 courses for £10. Bargain! There's also a Daily Pot for a fiver Monday to Friday - excellent value. Portions are generous but not excessive.

Pros: Cosy atmosphere, Great food!, Lovely employees

A fantastic meal - Edit

I enjoyed a fantastic meal at the 78. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, vegan, vegetarian or other. The staff were fantastic and the food was seriously drool-worthy. Loved it, loved it!

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy, Vegan alcohol :)

impressive - Edit

We ate in Stereo and Mono before trying 78 as their sister place but i think its my favourite of all three. It is out of the city but a couple of streets away from both the riverside with the architechtural landmarks of the Finnieston Crane, Clyde Arch and the Tower and also a couple of streets away from gorgeous Kelvingrove park and museum and art gallery so there is no excuse for tourists not to find it out. We went at lunchtime only but the dinner menu looked very impressive too. Good range of sandwiches, and mains, puddings were great - we had the rice pudding with mango sauce, very rare to find vegan rice pudding and was perfectly cooked. The mango gave it a modern twist. Also had the choc cake which was fab. All drinks vegan too so my husband sampled some of the ales, again usually rare to find. They do serve Red Stripe beer which isn't vegan but that is clearly marked. Comfy chairs and sofas to veg out and laze a day away and lots of evening entertainment advertised so would like to go in an evening next time. Good prices too!

Pros: great, helpful staff, big portions, more variety than usual for vegans

Pub becomes Restaurant - Edit

A great vibe exists in this place. It's a pub, a cafe, bar and restaurant all in one. Great atmosphere at night when everyone is dining and enjoying the great food on offer. Reasonable prices and excellent selection of main courses and drinks. A little bit away from the main centre of Glasgow but definitely worth the journey.

Pros: food, range of beers

Great food, service & a relaxed atmosphere - Edit

It would be hard to be critical about anything in this place. Reasonably priced, good tasty food and well presented. Good selection of quality beer. It's got to be on the "must visit" list for Scottish vegans

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Great atmosphere

Cons: None, None, None

Yummy - Edit

This was a stundenty hang out & it is totally vegan. They sell very nice organic beer. The food is just as tasty. We had the vegetarian Haggis which came with leeky mash & sugar snap peas & Maylasian stir fry, they were both lovely.

Pros: Tasty food, Good value, Nice beer

Cons: skinny jeans , skinny jeans, skinny jeans

YUMMY! - Edit

It creeped my out to order it, but the waiter convinced me to try vegan haggis. It was delish!!! The entire menu is vegan soups, salads, entrees... I tasted the lemon grass and borscht soups and they were so yummy. It was lovely having warm vegan food in cold, wet Glasgow in December. They also have a bar with many vegan beers and ciders. The atmosphere is pub style with tables and sofas a chairs. A must if you visit Glasgow! Very nice staff to vegan Americans visiting their city.

Cons: Excellent food, Cool, relaxed atmosphere, Friendly staff

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The 78 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12993 times since Sep 2007.