Sweet Life Patisserie - Monroe St

• Bakery Bakery

755 Monroe St, Eugene, Oregon, USA, 97402

Bakery offering some vegan desserts like cookies and cupcakes. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Bakery

First Review by suecag

Kplant

Points +1153

19 Feb 2020

Bakery

Nothing is labeled Vegan. Some state egg free and dairy free. They used to use sphelt flour now just white flour. Goods may be vegan. Though looks good as a bakery.

Pros: Eggfree dairyfree options.

pikesperk

Points +437

06 Nov 2019

Amazing patisserie!

Delicious treats. Tons of vegan options clearly labeled: cookies, pie, cakes, muffins, bagels... wonderful dine in area and a great place to sit and visit. Technically the sign in the store says that the sugar is processed in some manner that makes it ‘non-vegan’ so they don’t use that label. But items are labeled egg free and dairy free instead.

Pros: Tons of egg free, dairy free, Good prices

junkfoodvegan

Points +122

17 Sep 2019

Nothing is vegan

That’s what the person behind the counter said, so we didn’t get to try anything.

Cons: Nothing vegan

AlexisVeihl

Points +48

20 May 2019

Omg sooooo goood 🤤

Wow delicious, place was super busy which shows how good it was, but the line moved very quickly

Pros: So good, Quick friendly service, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Sorbet is only vegan ice cream option

gary.malcolm

Points +20

11 Aug 2018

Solid Bakery with many options

Tons of well labeled dairy and egg free items. They obviously cater to the vegan market. Had a coconut chocolate cake that was to die for! Many cookies and pastry items.

Pros: Tons of options

Cons: Quality varies significantly.

AutumnTierra

Points +1251

04 Mar 2018

Delish!

Sweet Life is always good, always. They probably have at least a half dozen vegan deserts by the slice and another handful of vegan options to buy a whole pie or cake. They also have vegan chocolate bars, brownies, and cupcakes. They have vegan pie and cake by the slice. They often have vegan cheesecake. I got the banana foster cake this time. Yummy! They also have vegan ice cream. Vegan items are labeled dairy free and egg free. Every item has a label.

Pros: Vegan options are labeled , Many vegan choices, Everything is tasty!

Cons: There will be a line

JaniceStanger

Points +81

20 Aug 2016

They have vegan everything

I couldn't believe all the vegan choices - cookies, pie, brownies, muffins, cake, cheesecake, biscotti, even ice cream. So hard to choose...I got a slice of vegan berry pie and it was excellent, very fruity and not too sweet at all. I got a cookie to go, and it was very satisfying when I got stranded later with nothing else to eat. Usually I stick to whole foods, not treats like this, but an occasional treat is something to enjoy, and this is a great place to get it.

Pros: Lots of choices of food, Delicious, Indoor and outdoor seating

Cons: Crowded when I was there, almost every table taken

Guest

Points +

02 Feb 2014

Really delicious and Non-GMO

I've been going here for years, back when they were much smaller and still sort of a "secret". I looked through the reviews, and I do get the ones who think that some of the desserts are to sweet, but we're talking about dessert here.

The only desserts that I've thought were too sweet are the vegan cheesecakes. Everything else is right on target, and in fact, the cakes and icing are not very sweet. Which is perfect.

They have a great creme brulee, excellent cakes of all sorts, really nice pies, and great cookies. Ginger is my fav cookie - so good!

The owners have also taken a non-gmo pledge and source non-gmo ingredients for their food. This is excellent, since corn and beet sugar are primarily modified, and are used extensively in desserts.

The only other place that I think compares to Sweet Life for desserts is Raw Luv, and Raw Luv does catering only! Check out Sweet Life, you really will have a delightful time. And if you have to share a dessert or take some home for later, consider that a bonus, not a downside!

Pros: awesome variety, old favorites, lots of vegan options

Cons: limited parking

xrodolfox

Points +64

04 Jan 2014

Best Vegan (and Gluten free) Sweets ever!

We recently moved to Eugene, and this is by far the cheapest and best pastry store we have ever eaten from in the USA. Hands down the very best vegan cakes, pies, and treats we've ever eaten.
Vegan cakes are moist and light, their pies are tart and crunchy, and their vegan "cheese" cakes are smooth and delicious. We ordered a cake for my son's birthday and it was the best vegan and gluten free cake we've ever eaten in over 40yrs of combined vegan travels and experiences (including Europe and the USA).

Pros: delicious, reasonable prices

Cons: long lines, small venue

Guest

Points +

24 Jan 2010

too expensive for me

They have good tasting stuff but the price is expensive for me or I would go there more. 4.50 for a slice of pieSome of the stuff is way too rich as well. It's good place to go on occasion.

Pros: Good selection, staff is knowledgeable, Clean

Green Bird

Points +39

05 Sep 2009

Great Treats

Yes, it does get quite busy and the line is long, but the space in front of the counter is not very big either so the line often looks longer than it really is. None-the-less we tried to go during off hours to avoid lines.

They do have an excellent selection of vegan treats including ice cream (supplied by local company), cakes, pies, cookies, cupcakes, etc. One of my favorites is the cinnamon role although they started adding raisins and walnuts which I wasn't crazy about. Another newer favorite was a giant chocolate cupcake with a cherry on top but they were often out of them.

The cakes and pies are delicious with many options like cheesecake and creme and berry pies. Some are super rich and I'd eat half and save the other half for the next evening.

This was our go-to place when we needed a sweet fix and didn't feel like baking. The service was always friendly too. We took many friends here, many non-vegan and they all enjoyed it.

Pros: Many vegan options, Tasty

Cons: Some too rich, Busy

XoDamienne

Points +54

22 Aug 2009

Pretty, sweet and flavorless

Eugeners will often direct you here. And they do have quite a selection and some nice outdoor seating with a great location near downtown and the Whitacre district.

But their goodies are never as tasty as they are pretty. More likely to put you in a diabetic coma. I go for pie or vegan cheesecake and usually find someone to share it with and cut it with strong coffee/tea.

Late night and early morning hours tend to have a line out the door.

Pros: Location, Atmosphere

Cons: Not very tasty, Can get expensive, Looong lines in the evening and morning

kindlizard

Points +912

01 Sep 2008

Thick as a brick

I think perhaps they changed recipe or chef over the years since I don't recall things being too sweet/ too heavy and dense. Either that or just time and experience and baking more on my own has generated more decadent experiences for sure than this place. We used to support this biz before they had the cafe, when they sold cakes out of a garage.

If I knew you were comin' I'd have baked a cake, if I didn't I make take out-of-towners here, but it does give vegan cakes a bad rap, and a lot of work can be exerted to overcome their notions of this place compare to other vegan cakes. My inlaws are some that make faces when mentioning vegan cakes due to this place, whereas they have had some other really good ones since yet this is the one bad one that stands out. However, on my own accord, their stuff is really not very good, it seems way too sweet and not airy enough. But I make awesome cakes too, so perhaps I am biased. But there is a great strictly bakery in Ptd, so it can be done well (see my top ten for info). This place has perhaps become too big and their quality needs more attention than its quantity.

Pros: cool slogan/ t shirt

Cons: low on flavor , poor texture

kir

Points +17

27 Jul 2008

beautiful...heavy

This place is so cool, so you just have to go there. However, I don't find the treats to be as good as I want them to be. I realize this is just my opinion, but everything looks so beautiful and yummy, and to my taste, the things I've had were so HEAVY. I want a light flaky, lemony, fluffy lemon square, not a dense, thick, chewy, sugary bar that feels like a brick in my stomach. I had a quiche there once that could have used more flavor and again, been lighter. I would say that a chocolate eclair I had was quite good. Maybe you just have to find the right things for your taste. If I were hiking or biking across country on few dollars, I would stop there to REALLY FILL UP, but since I'm not, I will probably only go there when I have company in town. I'll take them because it is such a neat spot and I'll suggest we share something.

Pros: heavenly-looking, lots of choices, fun place

Cons: heavy, could use more flavor in certain treats

suecag

Points +249

07 Jun 2008

Best vegan peanut butter cups ever

I've made a good start at trying one of every fantastic vegan* treat here. The chocolate peanut butter cups are amazing. The Love Truffle is great. The Chocolate Pot is incredible. I just picked up a chocolate peanut butter brownie and it looks good. There are also some vegan* cake and pie slices that look terrific. There are only so many non-animal options but there is a good variety and all are clearly marked. You can order a whole vegan* cake or pie as well. They make wedding cakes too.

*Vegan - Treats are animal-product free but they don't use the term vegan because of sugar production uncertainty. Check out their website for more info: http://www.sweetlifedesserts.com/ingredients.htm.

The line gets very long around desert time which is why their voice mail says that they don't answer the phone after 6pm even though they are open until 11pm. It's hard to see the display case when others are waiting. Then when it is your turn you hold up the line if you couldn't see or decide quickly. Everything is great though so you can't go wrong.

Happy Cow does not allow me to choose 5 cows as my rating because they are not 100% vegetarian. I thought they were but I'm thinking that they probably have gelatin in some treats.

Pros: Chocolate peanut butter cups, chocolate cup of goodness, large non-animal selection

Cons: long lines

Return to Eugene Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Life Patisserie - Monroe St closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.