Soy

+49-3023405890

Rosa-Luxemburg-Str. 30, Berlin, Germany, 10178

Vietnamese vegetarian restaurant, opened Jun 2015. Inexpensive lunch comes with main dish plus a spring roll or summer roll. All vegan except honey in some drinks and dairy milk for coffee. Open Mon 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Fri 11:30am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 1:00pm-12:00am, Sun 12:00am-12:00am. Kitchen closes at 10:30pm on weekdays.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by Tschiep

Quite good - Edit

Food was good and the place is really nice. Still...it took ages to get our food and when we did, it was already cold. You can find better places in Berlin, still...not bad!

OK but not great - Edit

My husband and I went there at lunchtime during the week. The restaurant was packed and it was extremely noisy, not only because of the people (and the poor noise insulation) but also because of the music on top! So I would not recommend going there if you want to have a quiet and relaxing dinner.

Having said that, it's a nice place and the menu offers a range of options.

There is a lunchtime special so for 6,50 euros you can get a main + a roll or a soup or a jasmin tea. Both my husband and I went for the lunchtime menu but were not impressed by our dish. It wasn't bad, but not particularly tasty either. The portions were very generous though, as it is often the case in places serving Asian food in my experience.

The staff was pleasant but not particularly warm and friendly and the service was very slow- poor waiters, they were running around, there was clearly not enough staff for such a busy lunchtime hour.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience but I would not necessarily go back there, unless I was in the area and that was the only option.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-16

Pros: Cheap lunchtime menu, Nice place

Cons: Not particularly tasty, Slow service

very rude and disappointing - Edit

the waiters are extreemly rude and slow.
they don't serve tap water at all.
the dumpling soup.was nice but too snall for a,5 euro dish.
The summer rolls where dull.
The food is OK but exspansive and in general better to avoid.

Pros: all is vegan

Cons: rude crew

favourite place - Edit

I was sad to see the cafe that used to reside in this spot go, but could not have been happier with what it was replaced by!! delicious, affordable, vegan food that is served quickly by lovely staff in a sleek, and tastefully decorated venue. It ticks all the boxes as far as taste, value for money and comfort are concerned. All my non - vegan friends happily come along to eat here and have even had a craving for a meal from soy despite their hesitance to vegan food. They also have an excellent lunch deal. If you haven't already been: GO GO GO!!!

Very Popular Restaurant with good atmosphere - Edit

I felt we were lucky to get into Soy as on a Monday night it was still busy.
I felt the food was really tasty, not too hot but flavourful.
The portions were a good size and beautifully presented.
And delicious desserts too.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-17

Pros: Vegan vietnamese desserts, Lovely food, Good Atmosphere

Fair - Edit

The food is ok, it is not that tasty considering the price.

I am totally confused regarding its vegan status. When we visited it earlier in the year, I was lead to believe that it was 100% vegan, but now reading some reviews, it seems that they are in fact not???

There are other vegan Vietnamese options in Berlin, that I prefer. But its fine, if you are in the area.

Pros: Lunch specials are a cheaper option , mostly vegan?, nice atmosphere for meeting up with friends

Cons: Confused about its 'vegan' status, Staff not overly enthusiastic

I dream of this food every night! - Edit

I would really drive 4 hours to Berlin JUST BECAUSE OF THIS FOOD ? The best Asian food I've ever eaten! wowowow, fantastic

Lovely restaurant close to Alexanderplatz - Edit

Me and my boyfriend went to eat at Soy because we were just around Alexanderplatz when our tummies decided to play their songs. It was a short walk but we could have also taken the U-Bahn.
The price of their food was expected, nothing too much and also not really the cheapest.
We got some strawberry lemonade, spring rolls and both of us some different styles of noodles. The spring rolls were really tasty but a bit on the oilier side. The noodles were awesome, but it was a shame that I ordered those funny glass noodles (never had them before), which are a bit chewy and I just didn't like it that much. The taste was amazing tho.

Pros: Good ambient, Tasty

Cons: The staff takes a while, Not the cheapest

Really liked this one - Edit

Nice place to sit outside. Everything doesn't just look nice, it tastes really good.

Pros: Nice and friendly staff. , Really good and fresh food., Good prices.

Cons: The food could be a bit more spicy.

Well cooked but lacks spices - Edit

Well cooked but lacks spices.
Summer rolls were bland.

Pros: Fresh

Cons: Bland

Soy delicious - Edit

Really cheap and yummy place to eat. You can get a really filling soup for as little as €4 (I say soup, but there are plenty of solid dumplings/veggies in there!)

Pros: Good food, Cheap

Good food & nice atmosphere - Edit

Really nice food and well marked menu. We ordered the spring rolls, coconut soup, fried tofu, a fried noodle dish and the pho. All the food was good especially the coconut soup and fried noodle dish...unfortunately the pho was lacking flavour but it still had quite a good broth. Good drinks as well!

Pros: Tasty food and drinks, Nice atmosphere , Clearly marked menu

Cons: Some foods lacked flavour

Absolutely Fantastic! - Edit

I really can't speak highly enough of Soy.

Delicious food, beautifully presented, clearly labelled menu, friendly staff and a chilled atmosphere.

I went there twice during my stay in Berlin and both meals were great!

Pros: Delicious food, Good value, Clearly labelled menu

simply 'wow'! - Edit

After having read NotBuyingIt!'s review I was not sure if we are talking about the same restaurant.
I have tried 2 dishes+starters in march, it seemed family run and thriving, so I assume the place did not change that much during the last three months.

I really like vietnames food and I have to say that the menue looks great, even greater knowing that everything is vegan.

My choice was Cha Ca, Seaweed wrapped round marinated Tofu and mushrooms,
with tomatoes, zucchini, dill & spring onions.
Refined with lemongrass and galangal and it was awesome. I do not remember the choice of my colleague, but hers was tasty as well...

Soy is definitely worth a visit, so give it a go!

Really tasty! - Edit

I went to soy because I love Vietnamese food, and I was not disappointed! The menu is all vegan appart for some drinks that are made with milk and honey, but you can ask for a vegan version.
The tofu dishes are really nice, and the portion was perfect. They do not use glutamate which is great!Everything was well-cooked and well-seasoned. I'll definitely go there again!
Check your bill before you go because they made some mistakes on mine

Pros: super tasty food, The place is cosy

Cons: a bit dark in the evening, the staff is not the most friendly

Those photos look amazing - but that's all. - Edit

I saw all the photos of what looks like amazing food, read all of these amazing reviews, so I rushed down to the place to try it and only confirmed the one or two negative reviews I've read on google. What a letdown! This is honestly my first negative review of a restaurant - especially painful to write because they tout themselves as "vegan", even though they are not. Why serve honey and cow's milk when there are perfectly suitable vegan options, especially when you're an Asian restaurant surely familiar with soy milk? Anyway, back to my review- While the ingredients were fresh and the interiors fancy, the food seriously was as bland as most Vietnamese food I've had here in Berlin. I seriously think they've traded in their soy sauce for Maggi - Yes, it's that bad! And the service, not that I'm that type of American who thinks everyone has to smile in your face and bend over backwards (I'm from New York and am used to minimum fakeness - and I actually prefer it that way) ...however, the staff here couldn't be anymore dismissive and slow. A bit expensive when compared to other similar restaurants (Cat Tuong and Rou vegetarian), which actually have better food and service, and not that far away. Will not be going back to Soy. I'm honestly shocked that I'm not allowed to give my sincere review on this place - It does not deserve 2 cows in my opinion -I don't think it's fair for a restaurant to be able to choose the minimum amount of cows (stars) you give it - how dishonest of the establishment :/ Well, if that doesn't tell all. I must say that I'm surprised that Happycow would allow such a thing.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 16, 2016
Updated from previous review on Monday May 16, 2016

Pros: Nice pictures and reviews, Ingredients look fresh

Cons: Bland and overpriced food, Complete lack of service

o0Carolyn0o 05 Oct 2016 - It's Happy Cow, not the restaurant that sets the 2-star minimum of any vegan or vegetarian restaurant.

Decent food - Edit

If you are there be sure to check the dessert. It was the highlight of our day. Mains are really good too, but I would not go for a lunch option again: it was decent, but nothing special. Be sure to add a few bucks and order something from the menu. The dishes are really special, with awesome flavours.

Favorite restaurant of all time! - Edit

Soy is our favorite restaurant, both in Berlin and everywhere else - the food is amazing, the space and decor are very inviting, and the service is outstanding! We always bring our guests here, even the meat-eating ones, and everyone is always astounded. Our favorites are the rice-paper salad and the seaweed salad - both are completely unique end delicious. Every dish has a rich signature flavor! The prices are reasonable and the portions are generous, too. Since its opening Soy became so popular, that I highly recommend making a reservation - especially in the evenings and particularly on weekends!

Pros: amazing food, wonderful service, reasonably priced

Cons: crowded on weekend evenings, gets noisy

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soy closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.