Sleeping Strawberry Guesthouse - 잠자는 딸기

• Hotel B&B
070-7889-2198

24, Wausan-ro 38-gil (at Mapo-gu), Seoul, South Korea, 04057

A woman-only house in Sinchon/Hongdae catering to backpackers and travelers. Provides a water purifier, vegan meals upon request, and hosts Korean vegan cooking class with local market tour. 신촌/홍대의 여성 전용 게스트하우스입니다. 서울에 방문하거나 잠시 체류하는 여행객들을 위해 식사를 제공하고 있습니다. 요청에 의해 비건 식사가 제공되며, 비건 한식 요리교실과 지역 시장 투어를 진행하고 있습니다. 체크인 시간은 15:00 이후, 체크아웃 시간은 11:00까지입니다.

First Review by starsail

Perfect Location - Edit

2 minutes from Bread Blue vegan bakery, 5 minutes from Sanchon and in between SInchon and Hongdae subway stations. I love staying here and always feel at home : ) The owner always introduces me to vegan friendly events and local markets around Seoul.

Pros: Vegan, Location, Friendly Owner

Cons: Small space

Wonderful Guesthouse! - Edit

I really enjoyed my stay at Sleeping Strawberry and I look forward to staying here again. It was very comfortable and quite and is in a great location. Ue is such a lovely and kind host as well. The food she provided was so good.

Pros: Breakfast, Location, Wonderful host

Must Stay - Edit

Sleeping Strawberry is the perfect place for an overnight! The location is wonderful (right around the corner to a vegan bakery-The Bread Blue) and incredibly close (walking distance) to the airport line for those coming to and from Gimpo/ICN. Yu-e is a wonderful host and greeted me when I arrived to show me my bunk and the bread she baked for breakfast the next day. She also has maps and recommendations for vegan/veggie eating around the area. Not only is it a vegan guesthouse, it's only women (no stress about that) and it's nice to stay with other women who vegan/veggie eating is a commonality.

Pros: Location, Vegan Bread

A peaceful and homey place to stay in hectic Seoul - Edit

Sleeping strawberry is such a nice place to stay in Seoul if you are look for a nice home-y place to retreat to at the end of the day. Ue is a lovely host and provided a delicious and healthy vegan breakfast everyday. It was left out for the guests to eat when they were ready which suited me perfectly. I highly recommend for eco-conscious women who are traveling and want to be around like-minded people!

Pros: great food, central location, quiet neighbourhood

Cons: small building

Sleeping Strawberry 17 Aug 2016 - Thank you so much for your great review. My cup runs over when my veggie guests really connect. I hope you continue going on an exciting and safe journey across East Asia.

A friendly vegan guesthouse at the heart of Seoul - Edit

I got very lucky finding this place while looking for vegetarian restaurants on Happy Cow. This was a very good surprise to find this guesthouse.

Sleeping Strawberry is a small guesthouse close to several universities so the area is very lively with many shops, bars and restaurants. It can be busy at night, yet the guesthouse itself is located in a quiet street so you will have no trouble recovering from a long day of sightseeing.

Ue is helpful programming your visits and can give some good tips. She has many leaflets and maps to share, including some of vegan restaurants and cafes in the area.

She also took me out of town for a nice walk with former Sleeping Strawberry guests that now live in Korea. It was something I would probably have not done by myself, and a nice opportunity to meet people.

I stayed there for a few nights, including during Chuseok (Korean "Thanksgiving") and Ue cooked for me special Chuseok rice cakes. They were so delicious and it was so kind of her! All what she cooks is vegan and delicious.

Also everything in the guesthouse is environmental-friendly and most likely made by Ue. I was so impressed!

It was my first time in South Korea and staying at Sleeping Strawberry definitely added a great value to my trip!

Pros: friendly well-located guesthouse, green, organic, vegan food, clean and comfortable

Sleeping Strawberry 21 Oct 2015 - Thank you so~~~ much for your wonderful review. I hope your first travel in Korea was a valuable experience in your life. Keep in touch! See you next time!

a wonderful, eye-opening experience - Edit

i chanced upon sleeping strawberry while googling for hostels in seoul and was intrigued by its concept. without any knowledge of seoul, i was hesitant that it might be slightly away from the more famous tourist districts, but booking it was probably the best decision i made for our short, first trip to seoul.

sleeping strawberry is a small and cosy ladies-only hostel in a quiet, safe and convenient location (hongdae, one of the university districts), near metro lines 2 (hongik university, which connects to the airport) and 6 (sinchon).

my mum and i stayed in a room with a bunk bed, sofa and table. pillows were made of buckwheat (i think?), which were surprisingly comfortable. everything about the place resonates environmental- and social-consciousness, from its very organised recycling system, homemade skin/haircare products, to its homemade breads and jams for breakfast.

we signed up for a cooking class, which involved hostel owner ue bringing us by bus to a local market and two co-ops, followed by a hands-on cooking session, after which we had a lovely dinner with ue and her friend/ex-guest. if not for this session, we would not have known about or ventured into that area of seoul.

ue is a warm and helpful person, and it felt like staying at a friend's home rather than a hostel. she invited us to join her and other friends for a seoul living design fair (which again was something we wouldn't have known about otherwise) and also an easter mass (which we would have attended if we'd had the time). if we get a chance to visit seoul again, we would love to join her hikes along the seoul city wall and also do some gardening at the farm.

the day before i left, i asked ue where i could find vegetarian kimchi. she told me that it could be ordered online (which was too late for me by then), but offered to make some for me. i ended up bringing home a huge box of kimchi, along with lots of wonderful memories of my and my mum's trip to seoul.

i would highly recommend this hostel to solo female travellers, even those who are non/pre-vegetarians.

i also recommend a visit to "the bread blue" nearby: http://www.happycow.net/reviews/the-bread-blue-seoul-53248
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 12, 2015

Pros: warm, hospitable, knowledgeable host, convenient location, environmentally and socially conscious

Cons: only one shared bathroom

Sleeping Strawberry 13 Jul 2015 - Thank you soooooo~~~~~ much for your great review. I think about you and your mum whenever I welcome daughter and mother guests to stay at my house and make kimchi for my guest and friend. I hope I have a chance to go hiking with you and your mum next time!

Definitely recommend - Edit

UE is such a wonderful and friendship host. She offers a variety of homemade dishes and condiments that are completely natural and organic such as vegan cream "cheese" and enzyme-made (?) strawberry jam. She also introduces guests to a variety of local restaurants serving completely organic and whole foods (even organic makgeoli, or rice wine!). There is even a vegan bakery right about two-minutes of a walk from the guesthouse! You get a true sense of local color during your stay here.

Pros: friendly staff, nice vibe, great sources for alternative culture

Sleeping Strawberry 29 Aug 2014 - Thank you for your good review.
You shared a lot of time with me and my friends whiling staying for over a month at Sleeping Strawberry! We enjoyed some meals at the guesthouse and some restaurants. And we went to transplant the rice seedlings in the rice field, climbed the Bukhan mountain in Seoul, and walked in the ecological park.
I'm willing to help the traveler like you experience veggie and ecological culture while staying at my guesthouse in Seoul.

Homey place to stay for longer - Edit

Caring host, UE, makes Sleeping Strawberry homey and enjoyable.
Handmade jam and paste with toasts in different flavors.
Perfect location near Hongik Univ. and Sinchon!

Pros: Location near Metro stations, Lovely host, Female only

Cons: Compact, No aircon, No shampoo but hair-washing bar

Eco-Conscious Women's Guesthouse - Edit

UE Seunghee's Sleeping Strawberry Women's Guesthouse is a home away from home for vegetarian and vegan women travelling in Korea. It is in the back area of popular Hongdae which is the best of both worlds - quiet with easy access to great nightlife and youth culture. You can cook and eat mostly locally-sourced veggie meals, as well as learn about women's lives and travels in Korea.

Pros: Wonderful host, Great location , Great food

Return to Seoul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sleeping Strawberry Guesthouse - 잠자는 딸기 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.