American
Bakery
Catering
Gluten-free
Breakfast

Bakery cafe utilizing seasonal, local, and organic ingredients as possible. Offers fresh bakery treats like cupcakes and cookies as well as savories like sandwiches and mac n cheese. Est. 2017. Reported closed April 2023.

Venue map for Skull & Cakebones
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by happycowloverrrr

kenny.cakes

Points +1395

09 Jan 2023

Recommend!!

I didn't like the sandwich I got very much but my friends food was outstanding. It was also a fun corn hole space to play while waiting for your meal. And the staff were all so nice.

SoyKal-El

Points +2968

16 Oct 2022

Great BBQ jackfruit

Tried this from their stand at ACL—the only booth without a line and the only vegan one I saw—and was impressed!

I don't normally like jackfruit anything but the BBQ jackfruit sandwich was pretty good and the mac was great. Also really enjoyed their strawberry churro dessert.

Pros: All vegan, Quick service

ryanhansen

Points +226

24 Jul 2022

Great place to grab a quick bite!

Been meaning to make the trip to Skull & Cakebones for a very long time. Was familiar with their cupcakes sold at food markets and then frequented their booth multiple times at ACL FEST. Upon arrival, the exterior was clean and surrounded by beautiful oak trees. We were greeted immediately by a friendly worker. The vibe was good. Was a bit surprised how small the menu was but contained some top notch options nonetheless. We ordered the breakfast scramble and coffee. Sat outside and received the order fairly quickly. Now the scramble definitely tasted better than it looked. It was a little egg heavy, but still tasted good. The biscuit tasted amazing and the gravy was just right. The only thing was the potato ratio could have been a little more for the portion we received. Also the coffee was fresh and delightful. Will make the effort to make another trip there sometime.

Pros: Variety of breakfast and lunch meals on the menu, Nice market with in house and local products

Kevbromley

Points +465

12 Jun 2022

Great food

Loved our food here. Great patio. Nice staff

Pros: Good options, Tasty

DannyWebber

Points +28

24 Apr 2022

Awesome vegan food

A muat try for any vegan in the area

Pros: Great menu, Breakfaat scramble, Cinnamon roll

EmTak

Points +45

15 Mar 2022

Don’t waste your money

Pain au Chocolat was raw and inedible so we threw them away. The soup was bland. The lemon loaf was completely flavorless. The sandwiches were ok but I could easily make better ones. What a disappointment!

FernandoDavis

Points +129

18 Jan 2022

Amazing place

By the time we got there in the afternoon most of the pastries had already been wiped out but what we did get was delicious. The cookie dough sundae was awesome and I forgot the name of the other thing but it was also very delicious. They also have really good tea and the staff were some of the friendliest people I have met. Will definitely be going back next time we are in town.

Zachkromski

Points +32

17 Sep 2021

First timer!

Very tasty food and helpful staff! Great anniversary meal😄hot sauce would have been a nice to have but either way great tasting!

TraciRatliff

Points +1481

05 Mar 2021

Excellent Dripping Springs spot!

We had the FLT, mac n’ cheese, and broccoli cheese soup. Then for dessert my husband and I had a mocha and a latte with a strawberry kolache. It was all delicious! Highly recommend!

sb33333

Points +289

17 Nov 2019

I love the bing bong cupcakes!

This is a great vegan business owned by great people!

PennyU

Points +220

19 Oct 2019

Average

I have to be honest. The food was average, not great, only ok. The cupcakes were dry and disappointing. It’s hard to criticize vegan restaurants that are trying.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

VegDan

Points +115

Vegetarian
24 Jul 2018

A must stop bakery on the south side!

Whoa mamma!

What an awesome place!

Love the owner and staff! Love the food too!

Check out everything on the menu they have! Its a must stop for any vegan and it even fools those that aren't!

Yum!!!

Pros: Wonderful pastries , Great lunch items, great owner

Cons: wish they were open later

Ksis

Points +993

20 May 2018

Pretty Good!

Came here after a weekend trip to Dripping Springs - love that this place is here! We ordered the Breakfast Bowl, Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes with Facon, iced coffee, a coconut latte, a chocolate croissant and a sausage kolache. The pancakes were delicious; I would say a must-get. The facon was very salty and very crispy. (I liked it, the boyfriend wasn’t as big of a fan.) The breakfast bowl was so so - it could have used a little more salt/flavor (which is a bummer, because I LOVE biscuits and gravy). Everything else was delicious. Hoping to come back to try some of their lunch menu. Only thing to note is there is a small amount of seating inside, most seating is outside, so if you come with a big group be prepared to sit outside!

StephanieWilson

Points +211

26 Mar 2018

good cupcakes but small selection

The cupcakes we got were good but they did taste a little dry and the selection was small. I’m optimistic and will try this place again because I love what it stands for. I’ll update when I go again.

Vegan Vagabond

Points +2028

12 Feb 2018

exceptional bakery

I really enjoyed this place. We showed up around 12:30, and they seemed to be out of a few things, but everything we had was very good. Nice people.

GyaniCabreraM

Points +36

16 Dec 2017

great food

Great vegan aeoli sauce and delicious yuca fries and hamburgers

Bucky

Points +40

30 Oct 2017

Wonderful brunch!

I stopped in for a Sunday brunch yesterday, and everything we tried was great. We had breakfast bowls and tried a pumpkin spice cupcake. We bought cinnamon rolls, a peach turnover, and a mocha marmalade trifle to go. Everything was fantastic.

Smoelfine

Points +663

30 Oct 2017

great selection of baked goods and lunch

Great food and a really friendly atmosphere. It takes a bit to get there from Austin city center, but it's worth it.

Pros: lots of options, friendly staff

Cons: a little far from the city center

Jdeezy80

Points +213

02 Sep 2017

A must see while in the Austin Area

Oh so thankfully, I live just miles from this spot, but for those members of my vegan fam who don't; treat yourself to a short trip to Skull & Cakebones. They've always got creative recipes baking and fun activities going on in their restaurant (which is separated from their bakery by a big observation window). You'll love this place-- especially their charcoal lemon cake-- (if they're baking it that day).

Pros: engaged & friendly owners, amazing food, reasonabl

brero

Points +34

17 Aug 2017

SO GOOD!

Everything was so great here! We tried the mac and cheese & the bagel sandwich and it was sooo yummy! Can't wait to try the rest of the menu!

Pros: everything looked and sounded amazing!

Veganmeower

Points +239

19 Jul 2017

So good!

Amazing lil coffee shop with great food menu ! We went for the brunch and had a breakfast bowl( best biscuit and gravy we ever tried ) and blue corn pancakes ( very good , even though need tiny bit more syrup ) Would definitely go back to try more ! Very good coffee ( even the decaf!)

Pros: delicious , lovely staff, cute café

happycowloverrrr

Points +32

18 Jun 2017

Amazing

This place is excellent, everything is completely vegan, and as far as baked goods go, you would NEVER, know.

Their breakfast and lunch items are also top knotch, they have a cappuccino maker and really friendly, and eager to chat employees.

Pros: Tha bomb

Cons: ain't always open when I want it to be.. (sarcasm)