SimplyRaw Express

• Vegan

989 Wellington St West, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 2Y1

Small juice bar, organic and gluten-free vegan food for takeaway, and retail space. Offers a few tables inside for seating. Opened May 2012.

Category: Vegan, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out, Canadian

First Review by postalheart

A Great Find! - Edit

We were in Ottawa for the Women's World Cup in June and we came across this wonderful restaurant during one of our walks. The food was tasty, the smoothies delicious, and the staff really friendly. What more could you ask for? If you're ever in Ottawa, check them out. You won't be disappointed.

Great food - Edit

I really like this place. Most of what I've tried there I really liked. Quinoa bowl (I forget which one, but it has tempeh in it) is probably my favourite non-dessert item so far. Cashew lemon dill cheese is really good too, to take home.

I've been a big fan of their cheesecake since before they opened the restaurant--that stuff is to die for! I'm a chocolate lover but the raspberry lemon is pretty awesome.

This place is very expensive though; I'd eat there a lot more often if I could afford to.

Pros: Cheesecake, Cheesecake, Cheesecake

Cons: Expensive, Small seating area, Fairly small selection

Mixed Feelings - Edit

For lunch I had a taco salad, a warm Thai quinoa dish, and a piece of cheesecake. The taco salad was very flavourful and the sour kream incredible but presentation was lacking. I wish they would assemble it fresh to order if you're eating in instead of eating it out of a plastic clamshell.

The Thai quinoa dish was very tasty but lacking any semblance of Thai flavours (ginger, lemongrass, kaffir lime, chilies). Jamaican yellow curry powder has no place in Thai food. I love this flavour anyway but Thai is a misnomer. I ordered it to eat in but it was served to me in a take-out container with apologies.

The cheesecake would have been better given more time to thaw but was refreshing and lovely nonetheless.

Good place for a quick take-out meal but given the time I'd head across the river to La Belle Verte for a really beautiful raw meal.

Pros: Flavourful dishes, Excellent variety, Clean and pleasant lunch spot

Cons: "Thai" flavours all wrong, Small servings for price, Lots of staff working but not attentive

Delicious - Edit

The food at SimplyRaw Express is fantastic - delicious, healthy, and creative. The curry kale salad and raw taco are my favourite meals. Must try desserts are the "cheese cakes", particularly the chocolate mint and raspberry lemon flavours, and the raspberry linzer squares. Some people have complained that the food is expensive. I disagree. The creative meals at SimplyRaw are prepared with high quality ingredients and a great deal of care. The prices reflect the quality of the food.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Creative

Interesting - Edit

I had their quinoa bowl. They said that and another item were not spicy, even gave me samples to test before I ordered. The quinoa tasted not as hot, so I ordered it. In the end, it was very spicy for my very low tolerance, so I did not enjoy it. It was, however, nutritious, and the touch of cilantro on top was a flavourful touch. The donut hole didn't have a donut quality, but it was okay. Drinks seem expensive, but very healthy. There is take out, and that also seems very expensive, such as $7 for a small amount of raw vegan sushi (what I consider snack size). If you are on a budget and have a large or substantial appetite, this is not the place to go. But if you are looking for high quality raw foods (or even some cooked ones) and don't mind paying for what you get, this will be a big hit.

Pros: healthy, ambience, fast

Cons: small portions, cost/calorie

Ottawa vegan - Edit

We found SimplyRaw on happy cow while planning an overnight stay in Ottawa while attending a Madonna concert. It was easy to find on one of the main streets. We both had smoothies for breakfast and they were fantastic. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back

Pros: fresh healthy food, friendly, location

Cons: none for me

Return to Ottawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has SimplyRaw Express closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6478 times since May 2012.