First Review by matrosin

a must-visit - Edit

I simply loved this place! It is a typical Irish pub with serving vegetarian food, with lots of vegan options. We tried the Wiener schitzel and the goulash and both they were both amazing. The schnitzel cme with a side of rosti that were really good and the goulash with a salad. The portions are huge and it was difficult fo finish what we ordered. unfortunately we were too full to try the desserts but I guess that they should be amazing too. The place is not too central but you can easily get there by U-bahn or S-bahn. It is a must-go when you are in Vienna. Do not miss it!!!

Pros: amazing food, huge portions

Cons: not very central, small place

A must-visit - Edit

We always try to visit Rupp's when we are in Vienna, as it is a very interesting and extra-ordinary concept: an Irish pub, no-smoking (almost unheard of in Austria) and with a menu totally vegetarian and almost entirely vegan! They also serve craft and organic beers, which is a real bonus ... by the way - for the whiskey fans there is a separate menu with over 900 arts to try ...

Pros: vegetarian and vegan pub food, craft beers, very good value for money

Cons: may get busy at weekends, not very central

A rare treat! - Edit

My veggie friend who lives in Vienna didn't know about this place. I'm Irish, she loves Ireland, we're both veggie. Ideal!
It was great to have pub grub in a nice, traditional setting. The music was cool, the collection of board games was fun and the drinks menu was great. A tad overpriced though.

Pros: Authentic pub vibe, Local beers, Games to play

Cons: A bit too expensive

Cosy pub, hearty grub - Edit

I really wanted to try the food at Rupp's but was worried it might be the stereotypical Irish pub. In fact, it was lovely, small and cosy with a really nice atmosphere. Maybe I was there on a busy night, but most of the tables were reserved and it was completely packed by 8pm, so I'd recommend booking. There was only one waiter, so service slowed down a bit but it was fine. The food was really hearty and enjoyable. The schnitzel and roasted potatoes (hash browns really) were excellent. My partner enjoyed the bratwurst from the smaller snacks section - it was still pretty hearty. It's pub grub, and it's nice. My top recommendation is for the vegan nougat crepes with vanilla sauce (custard). You get two, so you could probably have one helping between two people. It's divine! There was an extensive selection of beer and whiskey, if that's your thing. I was just happy to see vegan wines marked on the menu!

Pros: Amazing crepes, Nice atmosphere

Disappointing Booze - Edit

Despite Rupp's offering a wide range of different liqueurs and other drinks the owner insists on selling Guinness and other beers that were made with isinglass. "Isinglass (/ˈaɪzɪŋɡlæs/ or /ˈaɪzɪŋɡlɑːs/) is a substance obtained from the dried swim bladders of fish." Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass )
More information: http://www.barnivore.com/beer/26/Guinness

Upon exploring the reason behind that, the owner told me that he never advertised his pub as vegetarian. He said it is just an ordinary pub that offers vegetarian food as well. I guess it is probably better than any other Irish/British/Australian Pub in Vienna, but I was still rather upset when I heard that.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 17, 2015

Pros: cheap, plenty

Cons: some drinks are not vegetarian

My favorite Irish Pub in Vienna - Edit

Cosy atmosphere, good beer and loooots of whiskeys. The food is basic and really good. Try the Gulasch or the Chili Sin Carne!

Pros: Variety of beer and whiskey, Almost all dishes are vegan, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Quite small, Still part of the pub is for smokers

The best pub in the world. And I know my pubs. - Edit

I don't have words for how much I love Rupp's. If I tell you that I've now flown from London to Vienna three times (with a fourth trip planned) and a major factor in that is to hang out at Rupp's, does that begin to describe it? I'm just back home in London from this most recent trip, which included three nights in a row at Rupp's. My friend who came from London with me told me I hadn't undersold it - he was blown away too. It's just immense.

Over 900 whiskies, and all food vegetarian. This is my Hotel California - I'd never leave. Show your interest in whisky, and they'll be all over you. Rupp is there most nights, an old rocker type who started a vegetarian pub when he couldn't find one when he moved to Vienna twenty years ago, and then decided to take an interest in whisky - it's now practically a museum of the magical stuff, a fabulous booze library. Ella has worked there for a decade, she's very friendly and knows her whisky, and will help you choose whatever.

The food is good but not amazing, it's certainly second fiddle to the bar and the whisky. The schnitzels are great - particularly the baguette variant on the starters menu (which is all in English, by the way). The goulash amazed my carnivore friends, they ordered some the next night. And it's all really cheap. Even after the kitchen closes at 11pm, they'll make you a cheese toastie - including vegan if you prefer - right the way through until closing.

They also specialise in hot sauce. The Hottest F***in Sauce is sadly misnamed - try the Painmaker instead, though for pure insanity the 666 is beyond a joke.

If you like whisky, you'll adore it - I know nowhere better in the world - and it's excellently priced too. All the veggie fast food too is just a fantastic bonus. What a place.

Pros: Whisky, Fast Food Veggie, Cheap

Cons: It's in Vienna not on my doorstep

Cheap good food - Edit

We ate dinner at this pub while visiting Vienna. It definitely has a pub feel to it...small and dark. The menu was in German so we picked the first food that we recognized which were the veggie burgers. The burgers were big and good, without feeling too unhealthy. The price was very cheap. The waitress was nice enough.

Pros: Cheap food

Cons: far from city center

Vegan weinerschnitzel! - Edit

We visited some non-vegetarian friends in Vienna recently and they had never heard of this place. We were all pleasantly surprised by the cozy and welcoming atmosphere upon entering. The beer was decent, but the food was fantastic! The tomato soup was just the thing on a cold night. And we were so happy to have weinerschnitzel in Austria (made with seitan)! Our friends enjoyed their goulash very much as well. There was a good variety of vegan dishes, clearly marked on the menu. The price was quite reasonable. They have a huge variety of whisky available, though we did not try any. All in all this was a perfect place for dinner and drinks!

Pros: vegan weinerschnitzel, great atmosphere, good value

Cons: limited beer variety

vegetarian-hard rock-pub ;) - Edit

comfy, chill-out zone, with books and games, friendly service
most dishes contain gluten!

Pros: vegetarian/vegan food, friendly service, heavy/fast food

Cons: gluten, heavy/fast food

yummy, yummy food - Edit

Went there with some friends for drinks, stayed for the food.
A friend ordered the Nougatpalatschinken, and they were amazing. I myself was totally smitten with the vegan cheese toast. That was seriously one of the best vegan cheeses I ever tasted.

Pros: lovely pub atmosphere, huge selection of whiskies, great food

Irish pub with vegan influences - Edit

This is one of my favourite vegan friendly places in Vienna.
Great vegan food , beer and pub atmosphere. Very relaxed place with friendly staff and locals. Can recommend the delicious Spezial Doppeldecker , Gulasch, Wienerschnitzel, Apfelstrudel and Nougat Palatschinken.

Actually iv just convinced myself to go there again tonight :-)

Pros: Mostly vegan, Relaxed atmosphere, Easy location

Open on a Sunday - Edit

I went here mostly because it was open on a Sunday. The decor was interesting but service was SLOW. Tonight there was only one person working the bar and the tables, so that's why. Don't know if it's always like that but be prepared just in case! The food was pretty good -- I liked their selection but it didn't knock my socks off, if you know what I mean. If I go back I'll probably try something else on the menu but otherwise, a decent meal, especially for a Sunday when almost ALL the other veg restaurants are closed.

Cons: slow, small

Great vegan eats - Edit

This was a great surprise! At Rupp's, my wife and I were met by a very nice barkeep, who showed us an English menu. They have tons of vegan options.

The bratwurst appetizer was great. The best vegan sausage I have had to date. And it came with some outrageous Germanic bread. Then we had some goulash, which was very delicious (caraway seed flavor). This also came with more wonderful bread. We ordered some local dark beers, which were great.

Sadly, we were too full to try the vegan nutella crepes (we have not forgiven ourselves for this). I can't wait to get back to Vienna to try them, and more, at Rupp's. Ambiance is cleaner, quieter, and more civilized than USA bars in general. Very nice!

Pros: Great food, Helpful, friendly staff, Nice environment

Cons: A little far from center of town

Totally Unique - Edit

We were brought here two years ago by our Viennese friends and still talked about that meal. We recently returned and the first thing we did was go to Rupp's. We had to sit at the bar since there was a huge whiskey tasting going on. This is a real Irish pub that happens to be vegan (mostly). Three of us got the Doppelburger (a double fried-seitan burger). So fantastic. I shared the burger and kraut goulash with my husband. It was really good. I'm the most sauerkraut-loving American I know; it must be the Austrian ancestry. We got the chocolate palascinta (?) and apple strudel too. It was so great to have vegan strudel.

We rudely ditched our friends the next night so we could eat there again (Kidding!). I got the veggie burger, which is truly the best veggie burger in the world. Prices, especially for the burgers (4.70) are great. Beer selection is great too. Funf oder sechs vom fass! (5 or 6 on tap)

Don't walk past it, see the green sign in the window --Vegetarisches Cafe. The people all seem to speak English too.

Pros: Food specialties, Prices, Beer

A unique place worth more than one visit - Edit

Rupp's is a lovely place worth a visit or two.
It's just such a good idea to put together an Irish pub with all its advantages (having a pint, listening to good music, enjoying the atmosphere) with vegetarian, mostly vegan, pub food.
I've been there many times and was always served friendly and had good food at a decent price. The Gemüselaibchen are one of my favourites but the Wiener Schnitzel for instance is just as good.
Don't miss the vegan Palatschinken for desert! (see picture)

Pros: atmosphere, vegan pub food, friendly staff

Irish Bar/veggie resto - Edit

Heard about this place from a friend. Only got there at 10.40pm and the waitress told us we were still welcome to order food. Atmosphere is like an old school pub, with antique radios and tvs along the sides and old upholstered benches. Small and cosy, with separate smoking room. Place was packed and waitress was alone, but still managed to serve us and be friendly. Menu had a great selection, with many vegan options. Veggie Burgers were Massive, and apple strudel with vanilla sauce very generous. Delicious food and great value for money, with Irish pub ambience and no smoke!!

excellent vegan cafe/bar - Edit

We came here in the evening and had a great meal. it's a cozy looking bar that caters to vegans and has a HUGE selection of whiskeys!
We had the garlic soup to start which was incredible, and inspired me to make my own when I got home. We also had the vegan weinerschnitzel which was also great and very filling. the staff were friendly and i would definitly recommmed for visiting vegans in Vienna!

Pros: garlic soup, nice atmosphere, good service

Cons: none

Coolest Vegan friendly Irish bar! - Edit

They have a separate room for smokers! Organic beers, awesome original austrian dishes veganized. Pancake strip soup is great, but oily! Everything is mostly fried but its a fun place that you can't miss out on!

Pros: tons of vegan food, organic beer, vegan cheese

going out local with food - Edit

its like a going out local with food. They got much vegan stuff and a really frienly service. Food is excellent and the ambiente is only nice.

Pros: really nice ambiente, vegan stuff, friendly

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rupp's Vegetarisches Pub closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6428 times since Aug 2007.