Root

Contact 910-799-9119

5543 Carolina Beach Rd, Ste 160, Wilmington, North Carolina, USA, 28412

A vegetarian bistro serving nachos, burgers, enchiladas and wraps, some of which are vegan. Gluten free and often vegan desserts made by a sister company are available. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-7:00pm, Sat 9:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Raw, Western, Mexican, Bakery, Catering, Fusion

First Review by Raesock

Love Root! - Edit

I have eaten at Root twice and very pleased both times. I don't live in the area but plan on frequenting this restaurant as much as I can! I have had the chickpea salad salad and the jack fruit bbq, and both were delicious and filling. I have celiac disease and was thrilled to see how they can accommodate my gf and vegan diet. Lucky me, the last time I was there they had 2 gf/vegan cupcake choices and I chose the cinnamon peach cupcake - I have to say that it was the best gf/vegan cupcake ever!

Pros: delicious vegan and gluten free options, cool atmosphere and friendly staff, quick service

Cons: not in a very visible location

Greatest Plant Based Restaurant Ever! - Edit

I absolutely loved this restaurant. The food was amazing. I really like that the use Feast Down East and make it a point to use NC produce in their dishes. And they don't use soy! YAY!

Pros: Fresh, Soy Free, Lots of Vegan Options

Cons: not open late enough

Welcome, Root - Wilmington's first all-veg restaurant! - Edit

Root is Wilmington's first all vegetarian restaurant (as far as I know). The menu is limited, as is seating, but the atmosphere is nice - clean and minimalist. Most of the menu items are vegan or easily veganized, which is a great thing for me! I ordered the jackfruit tacos with chips and cashew chili "cheese" dip, and my companion had the black bean and sweet potato enchilada, also with chips. Both dishes were good...but not great. The flavor of the jackfruit barbecue was off slightly to me - but perhaps that's because I grew up with Lexington-style barbecue and I expect a hearty dose of vinegar in my NC barbecue! We also shared the cauliflower buffalo "wings" with vegan blue cheese dressing. The owner told me the dressing base is aquafaba mayonnaise, and the dressing was wonderful! It was reminiscent of actual blue cheese dressing, if memory serves. The cauliflower "wings" were heavy on breading and light on the buffalo sauce. I've been called the sauce queen, from time to time, and buffalo sauce is one of my specialties. So, I was a little disappointed in the wings.

If I could make only one suggestion to the owner, I would recommend adding a little more texture and color to the plates. The jackfruit tacos with chips could have benefitted from a fresh pico de gallo or mango salsa on the side, which would brighten the plates and add a burst of color and flavor. Same for the enchilada - a fresh, raw element would have enhanced the dish. Overall, though, it was a good meal, and I will return again.

Pros: lots of vegan options, nice atmosphere

Cons: not open late enough, could use more fresh, raw elements on the plates

Best vegetarian restaurant around - Edit

I've been to Root on multiple occasions, not once have I been disappointed. Their service is amazing & the food is terrific! I advise any vegan/vegetarian looking for an amazing meal to give root a go!

Pros: Awesome staff, Amazing food, Very cozy

Not good for the price - Edit

Note, the sign above this place does not say root, it says something like "pink cake". And when you walk in, you see tables and a big bakery cabinet so it looks like the wrong place.
They have a menu board, and when we went in about 3 on a Saturday they were out of over half of the items.
I got the jackfruit BBQ sandwich with a side of tortilla chips, and my husband got a chickpea salad wrap. They were both pretty small (my sandwich was what looked like regular sliced white bread, but smaller) , and just ok. We got two bottled drinks, and our total was $36!! SO EXPENSIVE for so little mediocre food! The girl working the counter wasn't very helpful either. Really disappointed. Probably won't be back.

Pros: vegetarian

Cons: expensive, food isn't great, confusing to find

Return to Wilmington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Root closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1058 times since Jun 2016.