Rice House

• Vegan
Contact 67473739

Blk 129 Geylang East Avenue 1 #01-102, East Singapore, Singapore, 380129

Porridge, hand-made noodles lo-main, and more. No MSG is used in the food. If new or full moon is on a Monday, they will be open on Mon, closed Tue.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, International, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by herbman

Nice Porridge and ala carte snack ... - Edit

I went to the Rice House (粥大王) after reading this in Sunday times January 4 2009 - In search of the unknown in the Foodie CONFIDENTIAL column.

Taxi Driver Alice Tan who is a non-vegetarian mentioned this place as one of the good food places :-

"There is also a vegetarian stall in Geylang East Avenue 2. The porridge from that shop is really good. I can finish two bowls in a sitting. The dish isn't too salty and doesn't dry the throat. It's simple but tastes very good."

And guess what she answer for the question - What would your last meal be? Her answer is :

"I would like something simple like the vegetarian porridge in Geylang East. That is all I need. Nothing else."

I had porridge (Porridge and Congee is my favourite food) and deep-fried beancurd (which was a little to o hard).On the whole, the price was reasonable but the place will be too far for me (I need 1.5hr travel time via public transport).
Update (11 Apr 2010)
Geylang is a Vegetarian Heaven. Was at Kwan Inn Vegetarian Food in Geylang, so near to Rice House and I went for my second round of vegetarian food again.
To my surprise, North South East West which is a Fusion Vegetarian Cuisine Restaurant located in the heartland of Marine Parade is run by the same group. Look like I should visit North South East West which offers Western or Fusion Vegetarian Fare.
Back to what I had - Otak-Otak Slice $3, vegetarian version but deep-fried. If there is a steam version option (no oil or less oil), that would be nice. It is slightly crispy and is yummy as an appetiser or accompaniment for steamed rice or porridge.
I still prefer the traditional Otak-Otak which is wrapped in a fresh banana leaf that bring out the subtle flavour when left to sizzle over hot charcoal/fire or cook gently in streamer. But it is only available in some vegetarian stalls, so I would get those from Friendly Vegetarian Supplier and baked them in toaster oven.

Return to East Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rice House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2864 times since Aug 2007.