Rahel Ethiopian Vegan Cuisine

Contact 323-937-8401

1047 S Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles, California, USA, 90019

Traditional Ethiopian cuisine in Los Angeles Fairfax district. Food is all vegan. Small and cozy space in area also known as "Little Ethiopia". Order lunch and dinner a la carte, or try the lunch special where a plate of assorted veggies, lentils, and special of the day are brought to you (free refill). Special beverages made from flax and sunflower seeds, plus vegan desserts. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Mimi710

great food at a great price - Edit

Stumbled upon this place thanks to HappyCow! Got in just in time for the all you can eat vegan buffet for $12.95!!! Food was amazing and the workers were so sweet! Highly recommended!

Rude Customer Service, mediocre ambiance but Good Food - Edit

I went out to dinner here for the first time recently with two friends.

We ordered a platter to share as well as one additional dish. When the platter arrived we politely asked if the other dish was on the way but the server (owner I think) replied extremely defensively "you didn't order anything else!!!" But the three of us all remember that it was definitely ordered. She repeated several times that we did NOT order anything else instead of apologizing and fixing the mistake. This rude response took the joy out of the meal a bit.

The food was delicious! But poor customer service, uncomfortable chairs and poor decor would be some cons.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-21

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Customer service , Uncomfortable chairs, decor and ambience

A buffet is always a smart move - Edit

I hadn't tried Ethiopian food before this visit, but was pleasantly surprised by how good everything was. I wasn't always clear on what I was eating, but it filled me up and I have few complaints.

Finger food - Edit

We loved most of the food that was served but the trouble I had was that you have to eat it with a wrap instead of forks , all would of been fine but I found the wrap very bitter so whatever you would take it would give that bitterness/ sauerkraut like taste... Big fan of those lentils though.

Pros: tasty vegan food/ home made , not greasy food /not oily , friendly owners and servers

Cons: decor needs updating , wraps , forks would of come handy

vegan buffet - Edit

A menu and a lunch buffet. Good varieties, a lot of choices and a very kind staff. All the sabors of ethiopian cuisine.

Pros: Ethiopian specialities!, vegan, eat as much as you want

red lentil love - Edit

Went with a group and ordered a sampler with sambussa to share with 5 people. My favorite is the red lentil dish, but everything is delicious and it is fun to be able to taste different things and mix and match flavors. Sat in the hut, which was shipped over from Ethiopia and reassembled in the restaurant. Beautiful presentation and very friendly service.

Pros: friendly staff, abundant servings, authentic hut dining

Ethiopian first time - Edit

Never had Ethiopian before so not sure how representative this is of Ethiopian food generally or just this place. We had the buffet. Mixed feelings.

It's all stews - great if you like that sort of stuff, otherwise could be boring. It reminded me of mild Indian curries with less bite and more aroma. I must admit there was one particular red stew that I ended up really liking and filled up on - but I was hoping for a more diverse meal. I tried the injera and was was NOT impressed! My partner OTOH couldn't stop raving about all the food (except injera) at this place.

A highlight is that the staff are clearly devoted to vegan living and sport "vegan power" t-shirts. Loved it.

Not sure I'd come back unless my arm was heavily twisted. I really only want to give 3 stars but I'm averaging my and my partner's experience and adding a star for the vegan power theme.

Pros: Vegan staff, Some flavoursome foods

Cons: Stews, stews and more stews, Injera - yuk!

Our favorite restaurant in LA! - Edit

My husband and I eat here literally every time we come to Los Angeles. Service is wonderful, atmosphere is wonderful, most importantly, it's the best Ethiopian food we've ever had (and we eat Ethiopian almost once a week.) We've eaten here a dozen times over the last few years. Order the veggie feast and eat your heart out!! :)

Pros: Best Ethiopian food ever, Great atmosphere, Friendly service

Cons: Parking sometimes takes a few minutes

Hearty, Healthy Ethiopian Cuisine! - Edit

My husband and I ate here over the weekend for the all you can eat lunch buffet. It was SOOOOOOO good!

All vegan Ethiopian cuisine sans fake meats. This food is the real veggie deal.

Great price for the all you can eat buffet. I loved the lentils and split peas, as well as their sauces and dressings. The mango cake was to die for!

Highly recommend if you are int he mood for hearty, healthy, Ethiopian food!

Also very attentive service, even for a buffet. One waitress was manning a pretty busy room and didn't let a water glass go empty or a request unanswered.

Pros: All you can eat buffet, Hearty and healthy, Great Service

Tasty Meal! - Edit

Very tasty food. We were in a rush and had to scarf down the food. I wish I had more time to enjoy the food. I went with a flexible vegetarian and a guy that was very meat and potatoes and only ate American food (he had never tried any ethnic food before this experience). I was a bit worried that he would not be happy but everyone loved their food. The samosas were probably the best samosas I’ve had in a very long time. The food was very delicious and I didn’t have to worry about any hidden clarified butter. Great food, great service. Next time I’m in LA, I will have to try the buffet.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 17, 2014

Pros: Great food

A feast for the senses - Edit

Hands down my favorite restaurant in L.A., vegan or not. Consistently delicious with spices and flavors that jump off the injera and into your mouth. Get a combination platter of course - try as many dishes as you can. The red lentils are divine and the greens are always perfect. Try the pure teff injera, made with only this ancient grain (no wheat/gluten) that is reminiscent of buckwheat. Its tanginess offsets the deep rich flavors of the stews. FIrst time eating Ethiopian? This is the place for you! Say hello to Rahel herself, a most gracious host. Coffee lovers: ask about the coffee ceremony. I don't even like coffee and I LOVE this.

Pros: wildly good food, eat at traditional tables if you like, excellent staff and service

Excellent experience - Edit

It is rare to be able to eat vegan african food in a restaurant. That makes this one really nice, food is really excellent and you will find it nowhere else. Portions are big and they serve you different sorts of food in an ethiopian traditionnal pancake. You also can eat directly with your fingers, which is really appreciable. Staff is friendly and the restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere. You should absolutely try it!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice place and atmosphere

Excellent Vegan Food, Gluten Free if needed - Edit

I've been to this restaurant several times and rate it highly. Excellent food, friendly people. They can serve gluten free injera (the spongy pancake-like bread that is used to soak up the food when eating) upon request for those who are gluten sensitive.
One time, visited on a Sunday and the food wasn't as good. Perhaps the main chef isn't there that day, not sure.

Pros: Clean, Pleasant ambiance, Excellent vegan Ethiopian food

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rahel Ethiopian Vegan Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.