PPURI - 뿌리온더플레이트

• Bakery Bakery
  • Vegan
070-41338126

2nd floor, 57 Gyedong-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea

Cultural space offering brown rice, gluten-free and sugar-free vegan desserts open reservation only. Owner speaks English and offers cooking classes. Relocated from Bell Jongno-gu 154-18. Reserve by Thursday each week by phone or via Facebook. Open Fri-Sat 1:00pm-6:00pm.

First Review by Clam

Brown rice goodness - Edit

I have been here twice before the move to the new location. The cafe started as just a place for drinks and coffee, and started doing pop-up restaurants on the weekends. The cafe also regularly sell cakes twice a month in Marche (marcheat.net) at Hyehwa and Myeongdong. It is my understanding that because of the classes the lady (Yunseo) teaches, the cafe has less hours than before.
One definitely needs to make an appointment for the dining experience. For menu you can look it up in its facebook page @ppuriontheplate.
The owner(Yunseo) due to health reason swithced to macrobiotic diet and prior to starting the cafe has taken some macrobiotic cooking lessons in the US, She has also written a recipe book. The cakes and cookies are made from brown rice flour. The coffee is actually made from roasted grains. So caffeine averse people can drink it with ease.
Everything is good. and tasty here. Dining menu changes monthly, so checking its FB page is recommended.

Pros: Good food and friendly service

Cons: Need reservation for dining due to space limit

oeg529 29 Nov 2017 - Hi, frazum. I am David, the co-owner of PPURI. Thank you for your review in detail. I just want to add some words about PPURI since there are some information that needs to be corrected.

PPURI started as a vegan cafe, where you could enjoy vegan dishes, drinks and desserts. After several months, PPURI started pop-up restaurants.

Yun-Seo, my wife, has been teaching macrobiotic cooking classes almost regularly twice a week for several years, and she still teaches the cooking classes twice a week. So the change that PPURI cafe has less hours than before is not because of her teaching cooking classes. It is because we(I and Yun-Seo) are not that happy when we live as just a cafe owner. Aside from running a vegan cafe, we also have some other interests. We wanted to spend more time in our fields of interests to be happy. She cooks macro and teaches cooking classes. I bake and develop brownrice vegan cakes and muffins. But those are just part of our interests. Yun-seo is really interested in pu'er tea these days. I have been interested in spirituality for more than 20 years and nowadays transpersonal counseling psychology is my field of interest.

For some years we sold cakes at Marche@ once a month.(Hyewha) These days we join the market every two or three months.

From Oct 2017, you can buy the brownrice cakes and muffins only by reservation. You need to make a reservation via FB or phonecall at least a day or two days in advance. And we do not offer dining menu any more.

DAEBAK 대박 - Edit

Fantastic food. We came here twice: once towards the end of the day when all the cakes were sold out - the lovely lady serving made us an off-menu frittata-type dish made from chickpea and tofu, with salads and apricot bread. Parfait and affogato are also delicious! - particularly the ice cream in the affogato.
Second time we came early enough for cake and had a selection - all were delicious and perfect in texture.

Pros: delicious, healthy, friendly

Cons: slightly on the pricier side however outweighed by

Great , cozy place - Edit

I went here once last year with the Seoul Veggie club. It was amazing. I had the spring plate and it was delicious. I also got a rooibos muffin and it was quite tasty. I plan to go back someday but it is a bit far from where I live in south Seoul.

Pros: Great food, Great service

Cons: Need to make reservations for a meal, Tricky to find location

Nice atmosphere! Tasty cakes! - Edit

Went there the other day with my friend.
I tried the grain coffe (caffeine free) and the chocolate cake, and it was delicious. We were worried thinking that we might be hungry, as we had almost no lunch, but actually it was really filling.
The price is good (you won't pay much more than what you pay in Starbucks for a coffe + a cake), and it's really healty stuff! :) Probably that is what I like the most, they use organic and really healthy ingredients.
Also the owners were really nice and were concerned to know if we liked the cakes or not. Also they told us if we want to eat meals we have to make reservation and how to check the meals they offer. That's not really a contra, but it would be awesome if in the future their business gets bigger and they can offer meals without reservation :).
The local is pretty small, but cozzy. The only problem is that we had some problems to find the place haha, we are not good at the directions thing.

Pros: Tasty cakes, Healthy food, Kind owners, cozzy place

Cons: Too small place, Need to make reservation for the meals~

Great cakes and tea! - Edit

I tried the cold quince tea and it was marvelous. Their cakes never disappoint - always moist and tasty! Cake price is about 7.5-8K. Do try them if the price is within your range, and you won't get disappointed!

I also tried the muffins, but I must say the cakes are definitely my favorite.

They also offer meals, but those are priced around 20K and you have to make a reservation at least a day in advance. They actually made an exception for me, and allowed me to have the meal later on the same day. The food was delicious, of course. It was a lasagna of some sort, with salad and pickled stuff on the side. The meal was nice and the fact they use organic ingredients much appreciated.

Finding the place was a bit of a challenge for me, but I found it once, I figured out how to get there the fastest. It is easiest to follow the street from Changgyeounggung-ro, so if you can't find it from the Hyehwa exit indicated, try going around. The place is really convenient to visit if you are coming from the Changgyeounggung palace!

Pros: Amazing cakes!, Great tea!, Organic ingredients

Cons: A bit hard to find from the subway stop

Small cafe with nice atmosphere - Edit

The cafe is small, offering only a few cakes at a time but has quite a nice, relaxing atmosphere. Being gluten and sugar free, you can have you're cake and eat it - as many times as you want!

I had a carrot pound cake, and a caffeine free grain coffee whilst my friend had a freshly made blueberry-ade with real berries. It is a little bit expensive, at around 7500 won for a slice of cake - but this is justifiable considering it is organic and sugar/gluten free. I plan to come back again for sure!

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Healthy cakes

Cons: Small selection of food, A tad pricey

Return to Seoul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has PPURI - 뿌리온더플레이트 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.