Peppermaint Guesthouse

Contact 0875791949

29/1 Moonmuang Soi 6, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50200

Restaurant and guesthouse that serves Thai food and northern Chiang Mai dishes. Run by a woman who speaks English. Dishes includes curries, noodles, salads, fruit, smoothies, stick rice. May 2016 confirmed open but no longer serving an evening buffet. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Buffet, Salad bar, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

First Review by GoVeggo

Puzzling and irritating experience - Edit

My husband and I noticed that this restaurant had vegan options so we decided to give it a go. I ordered the vegan burger and my husband the soup. The soup came without a hitch, but my " burger" arrived, and it was a whole grain bun with mashed avocado inside. That's it. Oh, and a side of lettuce with a few sliced tomatoes and cumumbers.

From my experience, a burger consists of having a patty sandwiched in the bread. Am I wrong?

I also asked for tofu when ordering the burger, but all I got was a bun with guacamole essentially.

So I asked for tofu to be added and they happily came back with a bun filled with tofu and onions, and of course avocado. I took a bite and it tasted very much like butter, so I asked if there was butter in it, and the lady says yes the tofu was cooked in butter, so I said I wont eat it because I am vegan, that is why I ordered the vegan burger.

She claimed that the cook was new.

Fast forward to my husband paying the bill. ( I am waiting outside) They wanted us to pay for the entire bill. My husband said no, so they charged us for half of the burger because they claim I ate half of it ( I did not) she then tells him that the butter was vegan and brings out the container that has the Jay (Thai vegan) symbol on it. So the entire time it was vegan butter!!

If she had just explained that to me, I would had continued eating my " burger" even though I was not impressed.

So now I'm really really not impressed. Terrible service, and poor communication.

If you visit peppermaint guesthouse and restaurant, do not order the vegan burger, because it's just a sandwich with mashed avocado in it.

Just awful.

Pros: The beer was good

Cons: The vegan burger is not a burger , Awful service ,

Hidden little gem - Edit

This restaurant is amazing. The old Thai lady who seems to run this place is really friendly, affectionate and speaks English. I had the green curry meal with brown rice and it is the best meal I had in thailand so far. For the size of the meal you get the prices are cheap. Would go there every time if I visit Chiang Mai again. Atmosphere of the place is a bit like every Thai-restaurant, bit a bit more lovely, so if that is not what you like I wouldn't recommend to go there.

Pros: lovely place, amazing Thai food, cheap

great vego restaurant with vegan options - Edit

Peppermaint Guest House restaurant is a short walk from the fruit and veg market in Soi 6 Moon Muang Road ... I called in for breakfast and had coffee and a slice (square) of great tasting vegan pizza (฿70) and topped up with fruit from the market ... the restaurant is in a great location and has a nice atmosphere

Pros: vegan options & soy milk

Perfect place for Thai food! - Edit

The food was amazing and cheaper than all the other veggie places we've been to in Chiang Mai so far. Try the pad siew, it's heaven! Plus it's quite comfy and owners are nice and friendly. Well come back for sure.

Pros: cheap, food tastes great, many cheap books for sale

Cons: not sure if the have a restroom

Service nicht vorhanden, genau wie der Geschmack des Essens - Edit

Hatten den veganen Burger, der auf den ersten Blick gut aussah. Sogar das Brötchen scheint hausgemacht zu sein. Nur bestand der Belag zu 90% aus Blattsalat 3 dünnen Streifen Tofu, etwas Gurke, unreife Tomate und Zwiebel. Sonst war leider nichts drauf, was Geschmack hätte abgeben können. Das Ketchup, was auf dem Tisch stand war eigentlich leer, also musste ich erst einmal neues einfordern. Die Bedienung meinte nur, dass es keins mehr gibt. Ließ uns damit zurück. Dann kam der nächste Angestellte, der uns etwas Ketchup in einem Schälchen gab. War eine trockene Angelegenheit..

Pros: Lage?!, veganes klar ausgeschildert , guter Tee

Cons: Burger fade, kein Ketchup, als Gast musste ich mehrmals die Bedienung stören,

Thumbs up :) - Edit

So if you are looking for a small quiet but cosy restaurant, this is the place to go to. They have a great variety of vegan dishes, the food taste really good and the owners are just the sweetest. And make sure to try the papaya salad

Simple but good - Edit

I have been eating in this small family run restaurant nearly every evening in my two weeks stay in Chiang mai.the food is good tipical Thai vegan,prepared with vegetables brought every morning by the old granpa from his garden.they set up a bakery recently so I ate a very good vegan pizza.

Pros: Cheap, Simple, Clean

Cons: They take their time preparing food

zero stars!! - Edit

Under horrible management, guys. We ate here once, ordering two fruit/muesli/coconut breakfasts (tiniest portions ever, go down the road to "nice kitchen" for 3X the size for the same price), but i'm writing this review due to our latest visit, and the management literally YELLED at us while we left. We specifically asked if they had just toast and strawberry jam before placing our order (we had a craving), which she said they did. We asked for no butter, just jam, as we are vegan. and when we received it, we got hardly toasted bread with butter. I brought this to her attention, she seemed helpful enough, but not apologetic. She brings us marmalade. Dude, when you ask for strawberry jam during an intense craving, and you get marmalade, your heart significantly breaks. But the toast and jam are beside the point, the way they conducted themselves was very aggressive and unacceptable. We paid for our two coffees to the man who also runs the place, and he seemed fine, but the lady began to (I kid you not) SCREAM at us, and as she got more flustered, so did her husband. We have never before experienced such unprofessionalism. They told us to "never return" over this toast and jam debacle, and i can assure them, there's so many other places down this one road, more worthy of our (and your) dollars. As much as we want to support a vegan(or vegetarian in this case) establishment, we can't support their unprofessional attitude towards their customers.

Cons: aggressively unprofessional

anam54 08 Jun 2016 - spoiled western kid

Not the best buffet - Edit

We went for the vegan buffet which is 120 baht the same as nearby Gap's House. It consisted of some rather tasteless spring rolls, some laab, bit of salad and then four Thai curries. The curries were quite watery and loaded with not much more than potatoes. They were also almost finished even though we did not go late. They did replenish them but not very speedily. We did go in high season but we found they were not too great at coping with the rate of customers. They also charged us an extortionate rate for a simple bottle of soda, almost three times what it costs in 7-11, I could not see the justification in that. At least water was free. The Thai lady does seem very lovely and accommodating even though she was slow to serve us. You can fill your plate up for the 120 baht if you don't mind waiting for them to refill but you don't normally expect to wait for a buffet. I'm not sure that I would hurry back.

Pros: Cheap, Central location, Buffet is entirely vegan

Cons: Slow, Food runs out, Over-priced soft drinks

Relaxing - Edit

Staff were very friendly and it's a nice place to sit. The food was fresh, although a little underwhelming if I'm honest, at least in it's appearance. Seemed to have been thrown onto the plate with little regard to aesthetics. Tasted ok though.

nice restaurant & cozy hostel - Edit

We stayed here for 9 nights at only 100B/Night for each of us two, in a private room for two people. amazing price! the restaurant is a bit more expensive. the buffet now only serves 4 dishes, all vegan, 3 curries stay the same and one dish changes. all of the curries are pretty spicy so beware! the owners are very very nice though (: and they do understand english.
oh and there's also a really lovely balcony for everyone to use (:

Pros: some vegan meals, fully vegan all-you-can-eat buff

Cons: not the cheapest, but cheap anyway

Rustic Typical Thai Style Cafe - Edit

Set Menu
Standard Thai Vegetarian Fare
Very Tasty, fair price
Fruit Smoothies shakes
Pancakes & Western Egg Breakfast
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 03, 2015

Pros: Very Tasty , Good price, friendly Staff, Hip Tunes!

Cons: could improve fixtures

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Peppermaint Guesthouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1918 times.