Paper Dosa

Contact 505-930-5521

551 W Cordova Rd, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, 87505

Serves meat, vegan options available. South Indian catering turned brick and mortar in Feb 2015. The dosas are gluten free and can be made vegan by leaving out the ghee. Uttapam is made from the same batter as the dosa and can be vegan.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Non-veg

First Review by bduboff

Food not bad but too polished for my liking - Edit

I don't remember ever having been to a South Indian restaurant that wasn't completely vegetarian. This was a first, and probably a last.

Food was overall decent and tasted authentic but on the pricey side. All dosas and uttapams were $10 and up, which is more than what I usually pay. The menu is contemporary Indian and a bit limited. Food is served in ceramics instead of the standard metalware. The décor is much nicer than that of regular Indian restaurants.

Onto the food, the spinach-fennel dosa was a dud. I didn't like that it was served rolled up and pre-sliced into sections. It was all soggy when it reached our table. The filling tasted disturbingly of meat, but I picked through it and found no discernible trace of animal matter. Most likely cross-contamination. The chile-cilantro uttapam was quite good, but oddly thin and reminded me more of a scallion pancake. The idiyappam dessert stood out; cardamom and coconut milk is always a winning combination in my book.

I'd rate this place average. The dosa missed the mark; the uttapam was alright; the dessert was the best out of the three. Whether you like it or not, you'll probably end up having to come here during your stay in the area because there's really not a lot around for vegans. Just know that this is not your typical dosa joint and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Pros: overall good food

Cons: pricey, cross-contamination

Nice alternative to Indian offerings in Santa Fe - Edit

Paper Dosa has a nice small menu with many vegan options. I ordered the Mushroom Uttapam which I've never seen offered before and was delighted. A taste and texture profile that I've never had before at an Indian restaurant. The Mango and Avocado salad was also delicious and beautiful. I'll go back to explore their other offerings and ask them to include more vegan info on their online menu.

Pros: light delish Indian, free parking, unique items

Return to Santa Fe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Paper Dosa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.