Pakwan

912-349-4261

7102 Abercorn St, Savannah, Georgia, USA, 31406

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers the standard Indian dishes, with a handful marked as vegan: samosa, bhel puri, aloo gobi, bhindi pyaaz, chana masala, dal, sabjhi. Staff understand what vegan means and can make vegetarian dishes to be vegan when you ask.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by YvonnetheWriter

An oasis in Savannah for Vegans - Edit

An oasis in Savannah for Vegans seeking more than a salad or juice. The service is impeccable, Jivan really thought about what to have the kitchen create for me. I ordered a custom Dal and Aloo Gobi. The dishes were fragrant and delicious made from fresh vegetables. They also made me Vegan Chai with coconut milk! This is a new go-to favorite for me! I suggest you call ahead in the late afternoon to give a warning for dinner as lunch is a buffet.

Pros: I found plenty of options., Happy to create dishes to meet your diet and likes

Hit-n-miss food, Overpriced menu, Terrible service!!! - Edit

We have eaten here at least half a dozen times in the past year. Honestly, we are not thrilled. From Indian standards, the food here is mediocre at best! Far from authentic!!!
Despite our many less than satisfactory visits due to issues such as lack of authentic taste, making food too spicy or too bland, rather poor customer service, and our suspicion of them using frozen instead of fresh vegetables - which we dismissed as being trivial, we were still optimistically hopeful that those are one time/isolated issues and that things would improve.
Most recently we placed a take out order which they completely messed up. When the employees told us that they don't have any power to correct the order, we contacted the owner, only to find out, to our dismay, that instead of offering to correct the order, he said "we'll make sure to prepare it correctly next time". Clearly, he values his profits more than than pleasant customer experience!! Needless to mention that we were utterly disappointed and would NEVER be going back!!!
They also charge $16 for their "special" buffet which we found to be their way of making more profit on their regular $13 buffet (compare the two for yourself). Charging so much for such underwhelming food and service is a loot!!!
Stay away from this place! would definitely NOT recommend!!!

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-08

Pros: decent decoration.

Cons: Not authentic!, Over priced!, Profit oriented than service oriented.

Pakwan Savannah Indian vegan surprise - Edit

Passing through Savannah on a long trip, with only grocery stores and my own provisions as a source of vegan vittles, it was a treat to happen upon this Indian restaurant which offers many vegan vegetable based menu items. To start, I asked for a vegan version of Mulligatawny soup which along with the vegan samosas were just as expected tasty and aromatic and served with a choice of chutneys. The tamarind sauce was a bit runny compared to what I expected, but that familiar sweet/ tart hint pleased the palet. This restaurant has a vegan bread available as well, paratha. I ordered two vegetable dishes clearly identified on the menu as vegan with a side of rice. The bhindi payaaz, a flavourful mix of okra and onions was very nicely spiced and pieces of yummy okra. The dal tadka, yellow lentils with popped mustard seeds, was substantial in texture and flavour and really completed the meal. I was in the mood for something chewy so I, discreetly, added a few cubes of the sprouted organic tofu that I had with me and ate a bit with the tamarind sauce to end. This was all very welcome. Service was excellent, even given our late arrival, last served for dinner, just before 10:00 pm.

The menu can be viewed at this link.

Pros: Tasty and flavorful, Excellent service, Generous portions

Cons: 1. Did not appear as a nearby vegan option, 2. I found it by chance as did not appear

a wide variety for veggies - Edit

A good selection of vegitarian and vegan dishes. Almost all vegitarian dishes can be veganised. Very tasty, well presented food with good portion sizes. Wait staff are attentive and very polite. Comming from the uk I love a good indian meal and this did not dissapoint.

Pros: tasty vegan and vegitarian variety, does not break the bank, nice staff and owner who is vegan

Cons: outside the town centre, nothing

owner caters to veggies - Edit

I've been to Pakwan several times and the waitress and chef have been really helpful with reviewing the ingredients in each menu item. They are able to veganize a lot of the vegetarian menu items of which there are tons. The lunch buffet is great for vegetarians but vegans will have to order off the main menu. I met the owner and he is vegan himself. He said to ask for him (or have them call him on his cell phone) so he can direct the chef on a special vegan meal. This goes for any vegans that go to the restaurant. I can't wait to go back!!!!

Pros: great price, lots of vegetarian/vegan options, fast, knowledgeable service

Cons: the food is salty

Best Indian food in town! - Edit

I love the aloo gobi! Never been disappointed. Well decorated, plenty of parking, good food, and Bollywood movies.

Pros: Good food, Good environment, Parking

Cons: Southside: Not downtown

great - Edit

Hands down this is the best Indian restaurant in town. Love it

A Ruby among Tin Cans - Edit

We read about this restaurant on your website and decided to give it a try. Our waiter, Rinku, was kind, efficient, attentive and informative. As a New Yorker, I get kind of cynical about eating Indian food other places, but Pakwan got it right. The aloo paratha was huge as were the veggie samosas. No, it's not New York, but the prices were good and the selections tasty.

Pros: Clean, Fast, Diverse Menu

Cons: No Brown rice, No Whole Wheat bread

Return to Savannah Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pakwan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.