Outer Bean Juice and Java

Contact 252-261-6000

3701 N Croatan Hwy, Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, USA, 27949

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe offering juices, organic fair trade coffee, panini sandwiches and salads. Offers some veggie choices. Soup of the day is usually vegan. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-6:00pm, Sun 7:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by ohemgee

great vegan options - Edit

excellent vegan options! we came several times during our stay and had smoothies and paninis, all were super tasty! also, the lady went out of her way to make my iced mocha vegan. highly recommend this cafe :)

life saver!! - Edit

I'm so over ordering side salads with no cheese (& no flavor) as the only option @ restaurants w my non-vegan dad (whose tired of trekking half an hour to hunt down some over-priced vegan joint where'd he'd reluctantly eat a tasteless bean patty wishing it was a cheese burger) This place is perfect! they've got plenty of vegan options with flavor (imagine that), & even a "meat lovers" panini for my dad the trooper

Pros: vegan & non-vegan options

love this spot! such good vegan options! - Edit

This place is a little hard to find, tucked in a small strip mall at mile marker 4.5. It's on the right if you are headed north. You should definitely go here! The portions are good and everything is top quality, homemade with care. The owner recycles and composts carefully too and is all around so pleasant. Very homey legit small business.

I went here last year visiting OBX and was glad I found it again this year for our trip. The vegan sandwich is GIGANTIC and awesome. Their juices are super tasty. Love having healthy fresh options.

They also serve beer wine coffee and other drinks.

Pros: vegan friendly

An Outer Banks Favorite! - Edit

Outer Bean is one of our favorites for delicious, healthy, homemade vegan food. We love their freshly pressed juices and smoothies, too! The owner and her daughter are usually behind the counter, and their wonderful creations seem to be a labor of love. Everything we have tried is excellent! We are thrilled to have found this OBX gem.
(NOTE: we give this 5 stars; however, per Happy Cow we are only allowed to give 4 stars on a review for places that also serve meat)

Pros: Awesome, healthy food!, Lovely staff

Outstanding! - Edit

What a great find! My husband and I have been to the Outer Bean a few times during our vacation, and we've both been very impressed. This place is super cozy with friendly staff and excellent vegan options. I had the vegan breakfast sandwich and the vegan panini, both of which were fantastic. My husband (not veggie) also really enjoyed his meals and coffee. The juices were also great! Definitely will be back to the Outer Bean on future trips to the area.

Pros: Variety of delicious vegan options, Friendly staff

If I could eat here every day, I would - Edit

This is one of those places where the food and the service come together to create the perfect combination of happiness for the mind and the body. I was in need for some actually good nourishment in the vegan food desert of the outer banks. Outer Bean was perfect for that. I had their soup of the day, which was gluten free, vegan, oil free, and fat free. I also had a meal smoothie that was everything green and lovely. The women who were making everything behind the counter were so friendly and talkative, it was amazing. They were so warm that I could feel the good vibes radiating off them.

For vegan and non vegan - Edit

The lady behind the counter was very well knowledgeable on what vegan is and let me know what i could eat. Their menu has it clearly stated too.

I had the vegetable panni... YUM! My non vegan relatives loved their sandwiches too.

Great Little Find, Friendly Service - Edit

I found this place through Happycow.com and visited on our last day in the OBX (which we now realize was a huge mistake). My husband is not vegan, but he was happy with his chicken panini and the iced tea. BTW, try their iced tea. It's some peach-beet-clove-cinnamon-ginger infusion or something like that and it's DELICIOUS. There were 2 ladies behind the counter when we walked in and both welcomed us immediately. They were very friendly and even made suggestions from their vegan options (which were a lot more than I was expecting in the OBX). I settled on the Kale Salad. And I can't put into words how delicious that was. I think my favorite part was the spicy peanut dressing. It was so refreshing and definitely the healthiest thing I ate on vacation. And it was filling. I also had the Mean Green Juice from the juice bar. It was made to order right in front of me so I got to see everything that went into it. So. Good. It's a bit small but a nice friendly atmosphere. Oh and they have Live Music on Friday nights :)

Pros: friendly service , fresh ingredients , delicious vegan and non-veg food

Cons: Small, 3 or 4 tables plus the bar

really good food, lots of vegan options - Edit

Very easy going atmosphere, smoothies are great, they even offered us vegan taster samples of stuff they were preparing. Sandwiches we got were great!

Pros: price, area, outgoing staff

Amazing Find!!! - Edit

This is the best restaurant I've found since moving to Hampton Roads, VA 2 years ago. There are bunches of vegan options (soups, salads, juices, smoothies, coffees, etc). I had the Vegan Panini (amazing!) and the Vegan Salad; spouse had a Green Smoothie. Both were fantastic. I highly recommend a visit, even if you aren't vegan (they have meat options too). The food is fresh, real, and healthy...and it tastes great. I'll definitely be going back!! I'd rate them a "10", if I could.

Pros: great value for excellent food, vegan options, very friendly staff

Great food and juices - Edit

Don't be thrown off by the sign that says "coffee shop" to the name "Outer Bean". It is much more than a coffee shop. Excellent fresh juices and teas. The food and baked goods are great. Speak to the owner about any dietary needs. She is very accommodating.

Pros: Great taste, fresh ingredients, friendly staff

Cons: small

fantastic find in the Outer Banks - Edit

Fantastic option for vegan/vegetarians at the Outer Banks – so hard to find options here. The vegan panini and vegan protein salad were excellent, they also accommodated vegans by making sure the items were not prepared with any utensils that touched animal products. Large selection of juices and smoothies, my Going Green juice was outstanding - one of the best I have had!

Amazing! - Edit

Visiting Outer Banks area my first time around, I was lucky to find this place from day one! Fresh, organic juices made to order. Smoothies, coffee (almond and soy milk), salads, panini, and sandwiches. The owner is a wonderful lady, she spent time talking to my boyfriend and I, also letting us sample things! All dressings at this cafe are made vegan - without honey. All vegetarians and vegans passing through must check out this place! I had the vegan panini and also the mushroom panini, SO fresh and delicious. I tried the immunity plus juice - WOAH, woke me right up! Nice and spicy. This is definitely a treasure. One of the girls that works there makes vegan casserole on the days she is there - try it! So yummy.

Pros: Tons of vegan options, Almond milk, Cozy

Return to Kitty Hawk Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Outer Bean Juice and Java closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.