CLOSED: Old Siam

Contact 301-926-9199

108 E Diamond Ave, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, 20877

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai food restaurant. Offers a separate vegetarian menu. Try the hot ginger tea served in individual teapots. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Thai, Non-veg

First Review by vtcodajeff

Not so great... - Edit

I was very unimpressed by the food, it was bland and not attractive looking. The service was slow and the restaurant wasn't busy at the time. I won't go back. They did however have a whole vegetarian menu UPON REQUEST!

Pros: Vegetarian selection

Cons: bland food, slow service

Great Thai Restaurant - Edit

Great Thai restaurant. A nice-looking place in Old-Town Gaithersburg, it's been there a while. The staff seem to have been the same forever. It has a separate vegetarian menu you have to request (although they just give it to us automatically at this point). It's not huge (maybe 8-10 entrees with a couple each of appetizers and soups), but it's good. It's quite spacious and well-decorated. There are usually people there but it's rarely packed. It's a nice place to eat a meal. Prices are lower than most of the other Thai places in the area, surprising but not unwelcome.

Of their vegetarian options, the Pad Ka Prow (tofu with chili and holy basil) is my favorite. It's a large portion of tofu, green beans, and peppers. I've had many versions of this dish across the country and this is the best among many good ones. Their tofu soup is delicious, with a light spring onion flavor, and their drunken noodles are excellent as well. As with most Thai places, spiciness varies. I've had meals that were painfully delicious, but most of the time my dish offers a pleasantly mild heat.

We've probably been coming here ten years and never had a bad experience. I recommend it as the best Thai restaurant in the Gaithersburg area.

Pros: Ambience, Price, Taste

Cons: Could use a few more vegetarian choices

Best Thai Food - Edit

This is one of my favorite Thai places, a definite cut about the rest! They have a small but separate veg menu and the few dishes I've had are fantastic. I judge all Thai places on how they make my favorite dish (Pad KaProw - tofu with green beans, spicy red pepper, basil) and this is the best I've ever had. Much fresher tasting than usual thai places. Also, highly recommend the fried spring rolls.

Pros: Best Pad Ka Prop Ever, Slightly more upscale than the usual , Will make items not on menu

Cons: Bit Pricey, Has a fish tank, Could use more menu items

medíocre Thai - Edit

I moved to Gaithersburg three months ago--- tried this restaurant twice: once for take-out, once to dine-in. Not overly pleased each time. The do have a separate vegetarian menu-- which is very nice-- but was unimpressed with their curries. Tried two different kinds--- both watery and lacking vegetables. Basically had a heap of bland taste tofu for $15. No thrilled-- look elsewhere. Oh yeah--- not to mention I ordered a ginger ale--- which the waitress never offered to refill--- and when I asked---- I was charged an additional $1.50.

Pros: in Old Gaithersburg, cute building

Cons: quality, service

Return to Gaithersburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Old Siam closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 346 times since Nov 2008.