CLOSED: Northdown Cafe and Taproom

773-697-7578

3244 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60657

Serves meat, vegan options available. Some menu items can be made vegan with vegan meat and vegan cheese. A kind of place to eat with non-veg people. Reported closed, Sep 2017.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

My New Favorite Place - Edit

The menu is marked what can be made vegan with a (v). To start, our option here is a roasted garlic and white bean dip. So good! Someone could make a meal out of just this. For lunch or dinner, the options include a portobello salad, seitan Philly sandwich, roasted spring veggie sandwich, mac and cheese, open face meatloaf sandwich, and a vegan cassoulet. For dessert, they make pies from scratch. There are usually two to three vegan varieties. When I was there, they had raspberry peach and blueberry.

My friend and I shared the roasted garlic and white bean dip for an appetizer. This dip is awesome. The toasty bread it came with was a great pair. Highly recommend this! For our dinners, I had the seitan Philly sandwich and he had the open face meatloaf sandwich. We also asked for a kids portion of the vegan mac and cheese. They make the cheese out of almond and cashew creams and while you can definitely taste the nutty flavor, it wasn't that bad at all. My Philly sandwich was huge! Oh my goodness! And really good too. The cheese sauce on it was the same used for the mac and cheese. The seitan is homemade and you can definitely tell. I really appreciated that as a home cook that makes a lot of seitan from scratch. I got a side of fries that was a mile high. We poured malt vinegar on it and it was the perfect pub food. My friend had the open faced meatloaf sandwich which really did look like what it was meant to copy. I find sometimes veganized versions of things fall short on how they are supposed to look. Not this. The seitan was stuffed with celery, carrots, and other things one would find in a meatloaf. It wasn't chewy, but moist and easy to cut as a "meatloaf" should be. It came topped with mashed potatoes and a beer gravy. Feast for a Sunday early dinner, let me tell you.

We were far too full for a dessert (actually, we boxed half of all the stuff we got aside from the appetizer), but the pies looked really tasty. Next time I'll be sure to save room.

For a vegan wanting to try a new place or if you're taking an omnivore friend out to eat but don't want to suffer in your own dining choices... go to Northdown Cafe! I give this place a 4.5/5 stars. I found my new place to frequent.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/10/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of.html

Pros: vegan-friendly, homemade food, local ingredients

Northdown Cafe and Taproom - Edit

What I like about Northdown Cafe and Taproom is that you can go here with a non-veg friend and everyone will leave happy. Northdown had several vegan options noted on their menu, most of which were made in house - the seitan and vegan cheese are both made at the restaurant, and I didn't see any use of Daiya (which may be good for a change). I opted for the seitan philly and give it an average rating. It came with the obvious, seitan, green peppers and onions, along with their vegan cheese sauce. The cheese sauce wasn't the most amazing thing ever, but it tasted average nonetheless. I'll probably go back here again when dining with someone that doesn't want to go to a veg restaurant, mainly because I liked the atmosphere and the fact that they added (and are adding more) vegan options.

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Northdown Cafe and Taproom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.