Nick Bear

( 1 review )
n/a

366-2 Nanxun Ave 3rd Section, Chengdu, China

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant run by a man named Nick who will work with you to accommodate your needs. Pizza, salads, and sandwiches can all be made vegan upon request. Note the marinara/tomato sauce is not vegetarian friendly.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Chinese, Italian, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by H2OAddict

Will do in a pinch! - Edit

There are actually two locations within a block of each other, but I usually go to this second floor location (walk-up, no elevator access for anyone with a disability) right across from the SWUFE gate. The location is actually currently being expanded to accommodate more guests.

The food is...eh. What can I say? It's essentially what a Chinese person THINKS western food is like. It's not great and it's not terrible. I end up going here when I have parties of mixed eaters and the owner now knows me and my dietary restrictions. All the salads, sandwiches, and pizzas can be made vegan, but if you are worried about cross contamination, this is not the place for you. I don't feel I have that luxury while living here. I have to sort of take what I can get.

The English (they have both English and Hanzi) menu is set up in a way that you can point to what you want and say, "bu yao," for anything you do not want. This is how I order my pizza. Nick has come out on multiple occasions to confirm my order or let me know that something isn't quite veg*n so I can make changes. I usually order a salad without dressing or a pizza without cheese, subbing the marinara for black pepper sauce. They will sometimes offer you ketchup on your pizza as an alternative to tomato sauce (see what I mean about it being what people THINK Americans/Westerners eat?)

Nick speaks enough English to understand the gist of what you want and understands the terms, "vegan," and "vegetarian," making it a nice place for foreigners to go if they have little walking-around Chinese.

The last time I went, I got the pizza and my friend got the burrito. The burrito is covered in bechamel and cheese, making it vegetarian friendly, but I may at some point try to get that made vegan. There are many vegetables that they offer in that and it could be another good go-to!

Pros: cheap, accommodating

Cons: marinara made with beef, no wheelchair access, serve meat

Return to Chengdu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nick Bear closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.