MoschMosch

+49-61314807082

Mailandsgasse 3, Mainz, Germany, 55116

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chain of Japanese food and noodle restaurants. Has labeled vegan food options, such as spring rolls, goyza, ramen, curry, and stir fries. Could customized your dish by adding toppings like tofu or tempeh. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by s_k_

Lots of vegan options - Edit

I also don't understand why some people don't like this place: They have a great choice for vegans, usually about 1-2 salads, soups and starters each plus 3-4 mains to which you can optionally add tofu, tempeh or mock chicken ('Superprotein'). There is also usually a vegan dessert. Even the wines which are vegan are labelled as such. Everything tastes quite fresh and nice.

The atmosphere is a bit different to a restaurant; you are seated at very long tables so there will be others sitting next to you. Also, the food is a bit on the pricier side, but again, it is also freshly prepared with good ingredients and something you can't get at other places in Mainz.

Also, if you are from Mainz, you can get a membership card ('Gute Gäste Karte') and they will give you a 'buy one main get one main for free' voucher 4 times a year. They don't collect much data for that one, which is a plus for me.

Pros: nice food, freshly prepared, lots of clearly marked vegan options

Cons: a bit pricey

Great - Edit

I never made a bad experience at MoschMosch. I really can't understand the bad reviews. It has a nice variety and the food is very tasty and I'd say authentic Japanese. They have changing menus according to the fresh vegetables of the season, so it never becomes boring.

Freundliche Bedienung - Edit

Kann die negativen Bewertungen nicht nachvollziehen. War bereits mehrfach dort essen und mir hat es immer gut geschmeckt. Es gibt verschiedene Saucen zum nachwürzen zur Auswahl. Die Bedienung ist super freundlich und zuvorkommend.

Pros: Viele vegane Optionen

Disappointing - Edit

Menu has potential but not well executed. Food is very salty and lack a fresh taste. Not authentic tasting at all.

promising but disappointing - Edit

I was excited by the number of vegetarian options, all clearly marked, no less. Indeed, the place showed a lot of promise initially (pleasant decor, friendly staff, prompt attention to the toddler... the seating is in long communal tables but still felt very comfortable). So what didn't I like? Most things about the food.

- My house white wine -- in one of the world's great white wine regions -- was bland and characterless. (But my wife's ginger lemonade was excellent.)

- We both added tofu to our dishes. These turned out to be tasteless triangles tossed in top, with absolutely no flavor of the dish (or of anything at all) present.

- My wife's Ramen came in a dark soy broth that, all told, probably had a few days' worth of sodium. No one mouthful was inedible, but after a few bites I could tell she needed to swap, and after a few more I needed to swap back.

- My own supposedly hot dish was bland and not particularly flavorful.

The toddler meal consisted of a drink, four portion options, and a bit of ice cream (which we didn't bother with). Two of the portions can be made veg, so it's essentially rice or noodles with vegetables. The veggies were a fair bit of shredded carrot and several bites of broccoli. The dish was (again) bland, but that's probably wiser for toddlers.

Even the hot sauce on the table could not add life to the tofu. Dipping it in the soy sauce of the ramen did help, which makes me wonder why they did not automatically do so for the tofu on the ramen dish. (Perhaps it would disintegrate... or die from the sodium.)

Overall, this place had a lot of promise, but it's basically just fast food, with emphasis on speed, so no amount of other pleasantness can save the product. Given how crowded they were -- young parents, teenagers, older couples -- their formula seems to be working, probably saving the locals a trip to Frankfurt for a Wagamama-like place. Because I am often in Mainz, though, I sure hope they improve. I'd give them another try in a year.

Pros: veg- sensitive, pleasant service, nice location

Cons: weak food, not inexpensive

Return to Mainz Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has MoschMosch closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.