Miss Ying Thai Food and Shop

+4401349-368612

16 Tulloch St, Dingwall, Scotland, IV15 9JZ

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small cozy Thai restaurant and Asian grocery store. The owner/chef understands veganism and will happily prepare meals for you. Open Tue-Thu 12:00pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 4:00pm-8:00pm. Closed Mon.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by Westy

Delicious! - Edit

Had lovely delicious Noodles with veg and sauce that was made into a vegan dish for me without the chicken.Would of been helpful if they had one dish on the menu that was clearly for vegans though.

Pros: Everything tasted very fresh

Unexpectedly great Thai food ONLY WHEN MISS YING - Edit

ONLY VEGAN WHEN MISS YING IS THERE. I've been back a couple of times now. The first time, we just walked out because they were busy, the menu didn't even have a vegetarian option and we were just demoralised by having to even broach the topic when they were clearly overwhelmed. The second time, I stopped in early, for lunch. The person working there was very nice and tried to be helpful. When I asked if I could have a vegan pad thai or anything else they could just make without animals. She went to the back, asked the cook. The cook said that pad thai couldn't be made without fish sauce and s/he offered up other dishes that on the menu were listed as meat dishes. I was perplexed. I didn't understand why the cook could make meat dishes vegan, but not pad thai. I asked if the pad thai was pre-prepared and was told no. I didn't feel comfortable ordering. I expressed all this and compared it to my first experience. I was told that if Miss Ying had been there, there wouldn't have been a problem (and that was the case on my first visit). But, not the case when she's not there. So, I bought some sriracha and, sadly, left. I'm not sure I'll return for a meal, but will to buy sauces. My original review: This is a sweet cafe located in downtown Dingwall. The owner will happily prepare any dish you like and make it vegan. The food is absolutely delicious and authentic. The owner is Thai as is the cook.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 25, 2014

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive, Friendly

Cons: Not strictly vegan or vegetarian, Only vegan when Miss Ying is there, Unreliable

First class food! - Edit

Amazing food served in-house in their small restaurant or to takeaway. All cooked fresh and with the most fantastic and authentic flavours.

Pros: Food, Staff, Cost

Cons: Atmosphere in restaurant, Small restaurant, Closed Mondays

Unconvinced - Edit

We visited based on previous review, but left without ordering food. The menu has no vegetarian options listed, but there's an asterisk at most dishes saying they'll prepare them without meat. They didn't recognise Tofu (maybe should have said bean curd) and added no alternative to meat.
We left as we didn't fancy eating just a plate of vegetables and were not convinced about their understanding of vegetarianism.

Pros: Newly refurbished premises, Friendly staff

Cons: No vegetarian menu, Poor knowledge of vegetarianism

2 Responses

HappyHighlandEater 26 Apr 2015 - I'm sure Miss Ying would have produced more than "a plate of vegetables"!! More likely they would have made a fantastic Thai vegetable curry with the most amazing flavours which surely would meet the requirements of most veggies. Miss Ying is a first class establishment rated 5 star on Trip Advisor and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Emisgoodeating 01 Jun 2015 - Sadly, I had the same experience. I've just updated my review. When Miss Ying is there, then you can expect and trust vegan meal, but otherwise, no. That's just not really feasible and it's not likely that I'd return either. Too bad.

Return to Dingwall Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Miss Ying Thai Food and Shop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2001 times.