Millennium

510-735-9459

5912 College Ave (at Rockridge area), Oakland, California, USA, 94618

Long-established restaurant and wine bar originally on 580 Geary St in San Francisco and relocated to Oakland in summer 2015. Upscale dining without a formal dress code. Open Mon-Thu 5:30pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sun 5:30pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Fusion, Gourmet

First Review by Vegan Mom

Great place for special event - Edit

I have enjoyed this restaurant since it was located in San Francisco. The ambiance definitely changed with the move across the Bay from more classy to casual. They have indoor and outdoor seating. Outdoor is nice year-round, with heaters and blankets for comfort. It's fun to get a group together and do the tasting menu--though it is so much food. Good for special events; Birthdays, Anniversaries, etc. The dessert sampler is absolutely brilliant.

very good upscale food - Edit

Fancy restaurant serving vegan only fare. Good cocktails and wine selection. Excellent service and food was well presented and delicious. I had the fried cauliflower and it was spectacular. Husband had the kofta and loved it. Ask for the complimentary sourdough bread and spread while waiting for your entrees.

Pros: classy, elegant food , good date place

Cons: pricey

greasy/oily - Edit

I don't live in this area and waited over two years to try this resteraunt. For over 40.00 per person i was expecting some kind of wow factor but instead i was very disapointed!!
Everthing we tried was extremely oily or deep fried. Besides being unhealthy nothing tasted like it was created by a good chef. This was a 20:00 per person meal at best and it cost over double that!

Amazing - Edit

From the service to the location and the delicious menue. Everything was simply perfect!! I was on a vacation trip to see my host family again after 20 years and this place was excellent. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the Skatergirl who did an excellent job in servicing us. Thanks again and keep on shredding, you rock!!

Pros: delicious meals, great location, excellent service

Cons: none

Dining with Non-Vegans - Edit

Our party of five had one vegan and one vegetarian and three others who usually eat meat. We all enjoyed the appetizers (peach flatbread and deep-friend mushrooms). The Torpedo Onion Flatbread was a hit because of the complexity of flavors. Very delicious! A suggestion for the menu is to provide a bit more information (or an information sheet that accompanies the menu) for non-vegans/vegetarians who might hesitant to order a dish because they are not familiar with all the ingredients.

Pros: Wonderful to have so many vegan options , Interesting combinations of ingredients in dishes, Very tasty food!

Cons: Confusing menu for non-vegans who are not familiar

The best vegan dinner ever - Edit

Don't miss trumpet mushrooms appetizer and hazelnut chocolate cake.

We will be back for sure, it was the best meal we had in a long time. We loved the trumpet mushroom appetizer with orange sauce and the hazelnut chocolate cake with salty caramel ice cream for dessert, they are to die for, we will definetely order them again next time.
We also tried mezze appetizer, main coffee portabella and tamale, all fresh and delicious.
The ginger beer and kombucha were excellent.

Portions were bigger than we expected. An appetizer and a main or a main and a dessert are enough for a hungry person. You can also share appetizers and dessert, which is what we did. :)

Staff is friendly, prompt and professional.

Just to get an idea of prices:appetizer 7-12$, main 20$, dessert 10$, beverages 5-10$, wines and cocktails. They offer 3 course menu for 38$/pers (appetizer, main,dessert) where you can choose from most of their dishes, but not all.

What a great dinner! We will be back for sure.

Eh - Edit

I've only been vegan for four months, and it's generally pretty hard to find stuff I want to eat at normal restaurants. I love going to all-vegan restaurants since I can order whatever I want, and be assured it'll be 100% vegan. I was so excited to try Millennium--it has a reputation of being super fancy vegan food, but I was totally disappointed with nearly everything about this place.

To start, our table of four shared the house-made pickled vegetables. I was expecting something like asparagus--some kind of yummy vegetable, prepared in an unusual way. What appeared on the table was pickled cabbage, green garlic, and snap peas. With the exception of the snap peas, which were good, the rest of the plate was basically garnish that tasted soggy and terrible.

One in our party ordered the trumpet mushrooms to start. They were super soggy & greasy -- looked and tasted deep-fried. Way too heavy and felt like fast food.

Most of us ordered the Cauliflower as a main course -- and again, it was very greasy and soggy. Just way too heavy -- too much oil.

Overall the food experience was similar to how I feel after eating fast food.

The servers repeatedly placed our dishes in front of the wrong people -- not that big of a deal and I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to this, but since the food was so terrible, I noticed the poor service a bit more.

For four people, and no alcohol, our meal was over $200. At those prices, I expect much better food and service. I unfortunately will not be returning to this restaurant. Very disappointing. I hate to write a negative review, but this experience was that bad that I felt it merited this review. Sorry. :-(

Great special occasion spot - Edit

Asked my parents to take me here as a treat for my 21st birthday. They're omnivores but enjoyed their meals even more enthusiastically than me! Great for trying new flavors at a fancy place.

Pros: Great service, Serves alcohol

Cons: Expensive

Back with a Vengence - Edit

I was so thrilled that Millennium reopened it's doors, regardless if they moved to a new city. It was always my favorite "special occasion" restaurant and now it still can be. I went recently with my mom and husband and was happy to see that 1) we could get a table without reservations (we called for days and never got through to anyone nor did anyone ever return our voice messages) 2) the new location is fantastic and cozy 3) the overall vibe is slightly more casual but the food is still great. I was really happy with the food and our server was super nice. When I'm back in the back I'll definitely be going back.

Pros: romantic atmosphere, great location in Rockridge, great food

Cons: parking was a pain, making reservations was hard, pricey

Good but not overly-impressed - Edit

This place gets a lot of hype. It was good, but not great and not impressive.

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Expensive

fabulous - Edit

Went here today for brunch. The menu is not extensive but everything we tried was delicious. The service was great and there was a lovely jazz band playing too. I will definitely be going back while here in the area. The beet Bloody Mary was a tasty and unique twist on an old classic.

Noisy and Overrated - Edit

I have to admit I went to the Millennium with very high expectations. Unfortunately, most of them were not met. The person at the reception was very arrogant and "cold", feeling welcome definitely feels different. Our waiter was nice and helpful but not very thoughtful in particular. The food was very good indeed, but it was not as great as expected. Some of the vegetables hat a black crust from being fried too long. The only real highlight was the dessert. We ordered cocktails which also were good, but not special, and the bar tender served them without a napkin, causing quite a mess with the condensed water on our table. In my opinion, this is a beginner's mistake. It was far too noisy and crowded which made the dinner experience not very pleasant. All in all there is much ado about nothing regarding this place.

Pros: Good, creative food, Great desserts

Cons: Noisy, crowded, cold atmosphere, Partially arrogant and unfriendly staff

Delicious and creative - Edit

Went here with meat-eaters and all of us loved it. I like that they don't try to mimic meat, they simply showcase plant foods the way they are meant to be tasted. A lovely experience.

Great vegan/vegetarian food, service and ambiance - Edit

Like its prior incarnation in San Francisco, Millennium, now in Oakland, is a great place to eat. Very good vegan & vegetarian food, and more small plate style than in SF. Great mocktails & deserts as well.

Pros: creative menu, gourmet food, small plates

Cons: expensive

Love the new location - Edit

While I was never at their original location, the Oakland location was fabulous. We opted for the $38 3 course prix fix menu (available Sunday to Wednesday). All meals were delicious. The stand outs were the king oyster mushrooms, Brussels sprouts and tempeh dish. The desserts were a bit weaker but I preferred the sundae over the pumpkin cheesecake. A fabulous meal, possibly the best vegan one. Kudos to Millennium for a fabulous meal.

Reservations are highly recommended. The place was packed on the Sunday dinner.

Pros: Excellent good, Creative dishes, Fix price menu

Rare treat - Edit

I never miss a chance to eat here when in San Francisco Had a great time sitting at the bar, when I didn't have a reservation, and was alone that weekend.
It was so enjoyable to order anything I saw on the menu, without having to worry about plant based diet.
Sometimes it's better than others , but I've never been disappointed.
Pricey and worth it.
Avoid table in back by kitchen.
All in all, I love this place.

Pros: Good wune, Good vibe, Super good vegan food

Cons: Got to get reservation

underwhelmed, maybe it's changed since - Edit

Note- this review is dated and should be taken in that context accordingly.

I went to millennium back in the early 2000s without any expectations or idea of what it would be like. I was completely underwhelmed by the flavor of the food. The presentation was ok, the atmosphere and service were decent. For what I had it was drastically overpriced. I'm not very fru-fru or wine-and-cheese so maybe this isn't my scene. The food was definitely not a mind blowing experience though.

Pros: decent atmosphere

Cons: expensive, food was average

Spectacular - Edit

I was in SF for business, and was excited to be staying within walking distance to one of the most famous vegan restaurants ever! I was also looking forward to going to a fancy place, as being from Indiana, fancy places (even "regular" places) with vegan options are pretty limited.
I made a reservation, which they recommend, for just little old me very easily, actually just about an hour from booking it from their website.
I decided on the prix fixe menu, where you get an appetizer, and entree, and dessert for $42. I also got a wine pairing for each which was $13, along with a glass of wine to start off (don't judge, I had a long day at my work conference :)).
The starter wine (pinot noir from Envolve Winery) was absolutely delicious. I forgot what it was called and loved it so much I asked the server the name and she actually brought the bottle out so I could snap a picture. Her knowledge of the wine, winery, and back story of how Millennium came to serve the wine was impressive, to say the least.
I chose the grilled radicchio and fig salad to start. It was beautiful and delicious, and I thoroughly enjoyed the wine pairing, even though I typically don't care for whites. It was not something I'd normally order, but I'm glad I gave it a whirl.
Next I got the fresh corn tamale. It also did not disappoint. The various sauces they had accenting the plate were outstanding. The wine pairing was again stellar.
Dessert was the most daunting choice of the evening, so I phoned a friend and talked it over with the server and finally decided on the brownie sundae. Holy delicious, Batman. That was one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth and I will remember it the most. The "wine" pairing for that was actually Irish coffee, which I was eager to try as I'd never had vegan Irish cream. It was also yummy, but the brownie sundae stole the show.
Overall, the service was OUTSTANDING, and the food and wine (and spirits) were amazingly delicious and worth the expensive price tag for the occasional visit.

Pros: Spectacular service, Delicious and beautiful food, Wine pairings

Cons: Expensive (but worth it)

Return to Oakland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Millennium closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 20275 times.