Menora Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 02-6289944

Hayehudim St 37 (at Jewish Quarter in Old City across from the Golden Menorah), Jerusalem, Israel,

Serves fish, vegan options available. Serves mostly vegetarian foods aside from fish. An elegant dining place. English spoken.

Category: Lacto, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by A.Z.P.

worst I've seen - Edit

My husband liked their coffee, but the spaghetti we both tried were awful! They must have never heard about al dente. The souce was garlic with a cup of olive oil for one plate. Maybe they have better dishes, but nothing can improve our first impression. The plate was big, but we felt sick from this meal and were not able to eat it all. Also the price for two spaghetties was not small - about 100 shekels.
Now they have a repair and offer only outside sittings. For using a toilet you need to ask for a key.
The only waitress they have was not very much interested in clients.
I'd advise everyone to avoid this place.

Pros: location

Cons: not eatable, high prices

Good.... but odd - Edit

This restaurant is smack in the middle of the Jewish quarter of the old city of Jerusalem. To get there, you walk through the main parking lot (Parking in the old city is only for people with special permission), then down Ha-Yehudim St.past the pizza stores, you keep walking as the Cardo will be on your left and the restaurant on your right. It is mostly outdoor seating but has some tables inside where there is wireless internet and a large selection of wines making for a pleasant atmosphere.

The food we had was decent, but not spectacular. We ordered the four cheese Penne and a Thai Noodle Stir-Fry. What struck us as odd were the noodles. I am not sure if they were home made but they had an odd consistency, color, and shape to them. They were significantly heavier than the pasta either of us are accustomed to and it caused us to be satiated after barely eating half of our respective portions. The flavors were a little overly potent and the content was average, but it certainly did the trick of filling us up.

Unfortunately, overall the old city of Jerusalem does not have a huge selection of restaurants and of them most are severely below average in terms of the quality and overly priced. At the Menorah cafe, i would say the food is only slightly under average but at least the prices are extremely reasonable considering the location. The menu is pretty much identical to most dairy restaurants in Israel (or as my dad calls 'em: "freakin blintz places") and there is a real dearth of vegan options.

My take is, if you are looking for a dairy restaurant in the old city, than of the 3 below average establishments, I would say that the Menorah Cafe is the superior choice.

Pros: Filling portions at reasonable prices, Free wireless, Nice Service & location

Cons: Almost no vegan options, No parking nearby, Small seating area

Return to Jerusalem Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Menora Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1057 times since Aug 2007.