Meesu Vegetarian Kitchen

Contact 08-83592605

449A Pultney St, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Offers Taiwanese style meals using different mock meats. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-2:30pm, Mon-Fri 5:00pm-9:30pm, Sat 11:30am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 5:30pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by RosePetal

great food good prices no frills - Edit

its a family owned and operated restaurant you are routinely served by the owners children who are polite and friendly. the food is really nice my favourite is the curried rice but i like lots of their main dishes aswell.

Take Omnis Here - Edit

Meesu was the very first vego restaurant I visited. The whole family too for my birthday and it fortunately worked out even though they are all omnis.

Meesu is located near South Terrace in the CBD on Pultney St, which means the pressure on parking is low while the accessibility is high. Quite an advantage! It is quite modest in size though I've yet to experience seating issues. Inside it's reminiscent of a food court and could use some joy.

The food is well priced and a good size. Honestly, I don't know what they are doing with the meal selection. Their Bento style boxes are fabulous with amazing mayonnaise. I love their fake fish sweet and sour cashew dish. But.. I have seen awful things. One friend ordered something, a stir fry I think, so insipid he almost cried. The salt and pepper offering are also very missable. You absolutely must know what to order, and that is unfortunate.

Apart from the issue above there's quite a bit to choose from on the menu. Most meals are vegan, a few have egg. There's a specials board as well. The food here is strong on fake meat and Chinese sauces and thus fits omnis better than usual. The mushrooms are very strangely meaty.

The service is good though you can get served by rather young children. Service is also really quite rapid.

The style here is a somewhat cramped one shop food court.

This review covers several visits.

Pros: Service Speed, Acessibility, Good for Omnis

Cons: Treacherous menu, Venue

good for if you're after simple food - Edit

My fried rice with veggie ham was distinctly on the green side and the deep fried mushrooms were a bit chewy but the coating was divine. I was able to eat my whole serving and it was just right on the spicy/saucy scales. We were the only ones in there and when we got there we were told to order straight away as the kitchen closes half an hour before the posted closing time, but we were still able to eat in there and have a conversation without being disrupted. We were served by a small child which was a bit disconcerting but all the staff were polite.

Pros: small servings, well presented

Cons: no alcohol

Good! will go back again - Edit

Been here once and it was surprisingly yummy! My sister and I both enjoyed our meals, and the fellow who served us was a delight! he was very attentive and made sure we were happy!
The place could do with a bit of a re-vamp as the atmosphere is a little lacking...but i would go back again!

Pros: Great service, Yummy food, Well priced

Cons: Decor a bit outdated, Owners children behind the counter

Great food - Edit

I've been a regular here as the lemon chicken steak rice is one of my favourites. It's served in a bento box with salad, greens and rice. The entrees are great too especially the fried king mushrooms as well as the fake-shark-fin soup although I have never had real shark fin soup so no idea how close it is to the real thing. They offer a variety of asian - fake-meat dishes. rice can be ordered optional so I have never had to complain about the ratio as I tend to not order any rice or noodles on the side. Not to forget that this is actually a great place for 'milk' tea. Most dishes are vegan and only two or three contain egg. The service has always been great and no matter how big the group or how late we would show up - the were always friendly and very organised. I'd definitely recommend this place

Pros: great choice, great tea, good prices

Divine Crispy Chicken - Edit

Me and My Friends are frequent visitors and the Crispy Chicken with Cashews is a personal Favourite of mine as is the Hot Pot.
Friendly relaxed atmosphere , highly recommended , also I have taken our Non Vegetarian friends there and equally impressed

Pros: Great Food, Great Atmosphere, fresh N Quick

Cons: no outdoor seats

Big thumbs up - Edit

I have been to Meesu several times and I love it. The food is tasty. One of my favourites so far is the lemon gluten chicken! The drinks are a real treat, served in glasses that resemble a vase. I love the coconut soy milk with coffee jelly! Also recommend almond or taro soy milk. Yum. Also being on the edge of the city makes finding a park a breeze!

Pros: Affordable, Good location, friendly

Cons: very large portions

Meesu - Edit

I've been here twice and don't particularly like it. I find the food heavy on carb i.e. the meal is 90% noodle or rice with a couple of veggies on top. Maybe some people are happy to eat like that, but I'd much rather the ratio reversed!

As for entrees the salt and pepper tofu is not good. It's just fried tofu with no discernible salt or pepper taste. The spring rolls don't have a lot of flavour either. 'Chicken' nuggets are ok if you like that kind of thing. All were served with the same sweet tomato sauce. A friend said the shallot cakes here are great, but they were out the night we were there (the same friend said the salt and pepper tofu was great, so ...)

I wouldn't have gone back for a second time, except that my friend organised it.

It's open weekday evenings which is good as most of the veg places in Adelaide aren't.

Pros: Opening hours

Cons: Boring food

Return to Adelaide Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Meesu Vegetarian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5973 times since Dec 2010.