Loving Hut - Upland

Contact 909-982-3882

903 W Foothill Blvd Ste B (at Upland Square Shopping Ctr), Upland, California, USA, 91786-3723

Previously Veggie Era. Now Loving Hut, part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegan living. Serving vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and dessert. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 4:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by spidey

Good Food with Great Specials - Edit

The main menu was handed to us, but my group all ordered from the "specials" board. The food was great, and for 2/3s of us came out fast. However, my friend's dish was delayed (they served him his garlic bread, but forgot the main course- pasta alfredo.) We had to ask what was going on with his dish, as the rest of us finished and his food was still not out. They were very apologetic and got his food out fast after.

Though the service was hit or miss, I would definitely return to try other food, since all the dishes we ordered (even the late dish) tasted great.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-04

Pros: Variety, Fast Service, Nice Staff

Cons: Forgot One Order, Atmosphere Plain

Fast Service - Edit

The food is tasty and service is fast. The food was a little cold, but everything else was fine. The prices are perfect and I recommend for anyone. The bacon burger is tasty and the rose tea is magical. They also had soy turkey for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-30

Pros: fast service, tasty food

Cons: cold food

Nice! - Edit

I really enjoyed the tacos! Affordable! Friendly staff.
Overall, I had a pleasant experience here. Thanks guys!
Updated from previous review on Monday February 01, 2016

Pros: Friendly staff , Affordable, Many options

Something For Everyone - Edit

This is a 5-star place because you can get a delicious meal without the animal cruelty. I loved the jackfruit tacos and the cookies! There's lots of gluten free options, too!

Pros: vegan, gluten free, quick service

Good food and accessible - Edit

A cozy little place with a diverse menu. I had the savory orange pinapple entree, which was satisfying and almost indistinguishable from a serving of orange chicken at a typical Chinese takeout restaurant. The jackfruit carnitas tacos, wings fries, and fried rice were all on point. However the real stars were the freshly baked almond shortcake cookies! I am also happy to report that the future MIL (non-vegan) approved! Great spot for someone new to vegan food to wet their feet. :)

Honest, Simple, Fresh - Edit

Stopped by for the Mongolian Delight and it was fantastic. The food was fresh and flavorful at a reasonable price. Just as important was the atmosphere. I am plant based, but my wife isn't quite there yet 100%. An issue we always run in to is the holier than thou attitude that can be found in many vegan establishments...didn't see that here though. Staff seemed friendly, ambiance is simple and relaxing. Next time we are in the area we will definitely stop by again.

Pros: taste, selection, staff

OK - Edit

The menu is diverse, so there's plenty of variety and probably something that will appeal to everyone, but it may take a few tries to find your favorites. I had the jackfruit carnitas tacos, which were pretty good, and the veggie pancake, which was not to my taste.

Service was OK, though i felt for them as they didn't seem particularly happy.

Prices are reasonable and parking is ample.

Had to go back again for their desserts - Edit

It was a little hard to find, but once we found it we were pretty impressed. We had the veggie pancake appetizer and it was bursting with flavor. We almost ordered another one! We had the sweet potato prawns, but read the menu wrong and weren't expecting fried vegan shrimp. I still enjoyed it though, even though I don't usually like fake meat. The side veggies on the dish were delicious. We had tirimasu for dessert. It didn't taste exactly like tiramasu, but it was still wonderful. We came back the next day to get another slice and some cookies.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 07, 2011

good tasting vegan food - Edit

I should start by saying that I am not a vegan or vegetarian;however, I have started to contemplate becoming one. I have introduced the idea to my family, too.
I had the sautéed skewers with brown rice. I thought the food tasted great. My kids liked the food they had too.
The place is clean, although small and one also has to order at the counter.
The portions seamed small. I would come back to this place.

Pros: food tasted good. , fast service( once order is placed)

Cons: place is small. , portions are small

Needs Music !:) - Edit

My fiance and I came here starving after a long morning. Food took long due to the ovens that had to be warmed up. It's was delicious and worth the wait tho. I do think this place need music! We were trying to enjoy our meal but we kept hearing people flush the toilet..and the man who waited on us arguing on the phone with bill collectors! !! That's a huge no for me!

Pros: Food, Optipns

Cons: Host Arguing On The Phone With Bill Collectors, Hearing Toilet Flushing

always a favorite - Edit

I love that the menu is different at each Loving Hut. The menu at this location is quite extensive and a little overwhelming. You find yourself wanting to try everything. They sell some grocery items at this location, too. The food was tasty (as usual) but I was really shocked to see mozzarella sticks on the menu. Big bonus points for an item I haven't been able to enjoy for years (since I went vegan). Also shocked to not have the propaganda of the Supreme Master playing in the background.

Pros: big variety

Cons: pricier than some other locations

My First Time Eating @loving Hut - Edit

I am a new vegan and was kind of scared to venture out and try new things, but I found happy cow and read all the reviews for the loving. Hut and I decided to try it....Well i tried the spring rolls and the fried rice and the peking bbq and it was delicious. I will return to taste their veggie burger. So far so good...Thanks Happy Cow

Pros: Good Food

Cons: Small Portions

Best Loving Hut around! - Edit

I remember when this place was known as Veggie Era. When it changed to Loving Hut I was a little nervous as I hadn't enjoyed many Loving Huts around the Orange County area. Luckily it was still the same staff, they are all really nice and helpful! Another good thing was that the menu remained mostly the same. By far my favorite Loving Hut to visit! It is a little crowded at times so we mainly et it to-go. Everything we've tried has been delicious, from the garden veggie chow mein to the loving burger. It is also fairly priced!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: can feel crowded & small

The original and still the best vegan in the I.E. - Edit

They've been through 3 name changes and it's stll absolutely amazing. Crazy scottie's chickenless is the best. They got chili dogs burgers desserts asian dishes and even pasta dishes. Even pizza now.

Pros: vegan, great taste, family run

Cons: if they could be open 24 hours

a little Loving Hut - Edit

We met up with friends to have lunch and shared the appetizers of veggie pancake, wontons and tofu. The pancake was yummy. For entrees, we ordered separate dishes rather than family style, but everyone enjoyed their meals. Dirk and I shared the ramen bowl, the savory orange pineapple and a ocean splash sandwich special. The ramen was very tasty and their menu is mainly Asian, so they do that well although the sandwich was good too. We shared a chocolate pie for dessert. I also had a rose milk tea which was refreshing.

They are located in a strip mall, so their space is on the small side (compared to other Loving Huts I've been to), but it was neat and clean. You order at the counter, but the service was still very attentive with water glass refills and clearing the plates. They also sell some dry goods and refridgerated items like cheese. Overall, it's a good value for the money and it's nice to have an all vegan place to eat in the Inland Empire.

Pros: all vegan in the IE, easy parking

Great Vegan Food - Edit

Great food, more along Asian lines than American (for American food see the Loving Hut in Claremont). They do have excellent vegan hot dogs and hamburgers, and excellent fries! Of the asian dishes the Joyful Sate, Crispy Rolls and Loving Fried Rice are all good dishes. Easy to find once you enter the shopping center parking lot. Give it a try!
Updated from previous review on Friday May 04, 2012
Updated from previous review on Friday May 04, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, easy to find, great staff

Cons: none!

Loving Hut-Upland - Edit

Stopped in with my brother (non-veg) for a quick bite. We both ended up ordering the Kung Pao Wow which was delicious. Fast service. My brother also had the Thai iced tea which he raved about and enjoyed his meatless meal as well. Great place for fast food. Lady at the counter was kind of pissed that I touched her cookie display. I guess I didn't put the cookie box back exactly where it had been because she looked at me funny and then moved it back how she had it. Maybe she was having a bad day. The counter had homemade cookies for sale at a whopping four bucks for 6 cookies. I decided to just go home and make some myself, especially after the visual reprimand. There are also different kinds of protein bars and jerky for sale plus a few other items like boxes of mac n cheese. Great selection of food on their menu. Would go back if I was in the area. (My favorite Loving Hut is still the one in Orange, though!)

Pros: fast service, good value

Love This - Edit

I second the comment about how difficult it is to find specifically vegan restaurants in the Inland Empire. This place has the best raw vegan cheesecake and delicious orange chicken that I crave whenever I'm not eating it. It's sort of small, but they also sell cool vegan treats, like primal strips, rice-krispy treats, and other novelty items.

Pros: orange chicken, desserts, variety

Cons: not a lot of indoor seating

I crave this food! - Edit

When my family and I come here were order a bunch of entrees and share them all family-style. Everything we've tried has been delicious! Their BBQ Peking and Sate keep me coming back. Their veggie meat substitutes are the best I've ever had. We have not tried any of the American entrees like meat loaf and "beef" stew yet, but their Asian dishes a wonderfull. Portions and prices are great. Try the pepper spread condiment and ask for brown rice.

Pros: Best veggie meats, clean and bright, fast service

Cons: have to ask for brown rice

I love Veggie Era - Edit

I am so grateful that Veggie Era exists in "The Inland Empire" (where healthy/vegan restaurants should ABOUND due to the high population of Seventh-day Adventists). It's only about half an hour away from me (thankfully, or I would eat there daily!).

The food is awesome. The seitan/veggie meats are great, and I always order the SAME thing (the WONDERFUL Lemongrass Chicken!). I've recently taken every opportunity to stop by for the "Chicken Drumsticks". They used to have great little drumsticks like all the other Quan Yin/Supreme Master Ching Hai locations (we would travel an hour and a half from our country home in Massachusetts to the obscure Worchester Quan Yin Restaurant), but they have recently introduced these HUGE drumsticks (which I am SURE are commercially made, but who cares?!) which I love.

The true STAR of Veggie Era is the DESSERTS. Their Chocolate Truffle Pie, or ANY of their desserts are absolutely WONDERFUL. I don't care if you're vegan, vegetarian, or omni/whatever... Their desserts are WONDERFUL! I am just sad that getting their CAKES is a rarity. They are really the MOST delicious, moist, WONDERFUL cakes you'll ever enjoy! But like I said, they rarely make them. Oh, well, their pies will tie you over and keep you hoping to someday eat one of their wonderful, moist cakes.

The prices are also VERY reasonable, and the staff is always very friendly and helpful and nice. The only negative I have to say (besides not being able to buy their cakes regularly!) is that they are sorely lacking in the "vegetable" department. After 28 years of studying health and nutrition, I not only advocate a vegan diet, but a WHOLE FOODS diet rich in VEGETABLES. They seem to have mainly onions and peppers in stock. While I think onions and peppers rule, they need to add MANY more veggies to their menu. Some unique Asian veggies (such as Kang kung/Om Choy, Chinese Green Beans, lemongrass, galanga, turmeric, Bok Choy and the liberal use of the highly nutritious mung bean sprouts) would make this the PERFECT eatery.

Pros: GREAT VALUE!, DELICOUS!, Great staff

Cons: You can never buy the DELICOUS cake!, Not too many veggies (ironic), Religious propaganda constantly playing

Best Veggie Food - Hands Down - Edit

I've been to many vegetarian food places in my 11 years of being vegetarian, and I haven't found a place that I enjoy going to anymore than this place. The food is delicious, and they have big portions. The sauces are flavorful, and the staff are genuinely nice. Their heart is in the right place, and their food backs that up. The orange chicken is yummy, the desserts are heaven, and you must try the chicken drumsticks!

Pros: delicious meals, friendly staff, big portions

Nice! - Edit

The food is pretty good and the prices are as well! They aren't exactly omni-friendly--they're a little too "in your face" for some of my friends--and sometimes the lighting makes the atmosphere feel a little oppressive but I've never had a bad meal there. It's also just up the road from me, so it's very convenient :)

omg! ITS HEAVEN!!!!!! - Edit

i love this place, if i could i would live there. It has the best food and its great because i dont have to drive all the way to Los Angeles, Veggie Era is close to my house and has awesome food....i love the Orange Chicken-less best ever!!!! =)

Yummm!!! - Edit

What else can I say, all the positive reviews are true. I tried this place because of many good reviews, and I wasn't disapointed. I'm picky but this food is so good, they put alot of care in their food. We need more places like this. Took my carnivore family and they loved it!

Pros: Food quality, Menu choice, Price

Cons: Far from my home, Hidden

Very delicious - Edit

Veggie Era is the first vegetarian restaurant I went to since becoming a vegetarian. It is very delicious. I recommend the "chickenless rice" plate.

Pros: Chinese Food, Delicious

Cons: pricy drinks

Lemongrass! - Edit

I have visited this restaurant a total of maybe 3 times, and I always ordered on the go. They have a pretty well-rounded menu with plenty of faux meats.

During my first visit, I had included an order of sweet and sour soy chicken with pineapple, and that was just, eh... okay. I was rather disappointed with that dish despite the newspaper review praising its delicious-ness hanging on their wall. I also ordered the soy chicken fried rice, and it was the absolute best fried rice I have ever had. The fake chicken was right on... My stepdad, a hardcore meat-eater, was very surprised at how good it was.

And my favorite dish from Veggie Era: the lemongrass soy chicken. It was SOOOOO good. If I still lived in the SoCal area, I would be there everyday! My whole family loved it... I'm drooling just thinking about it :D

The waitress was somewhat friendly; she was younger and didn't seem to care much about smiling. Oh well... I can't comment on other aspects of the restaurant since I was only there briefly.

A good experience overall. Definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Great food, Plenty of parking

Yummy!! - Edit

I have been here over ten times and only once was the food ok. It is spectacular every other time. My faves are the Chickenless fried rice and the Crispy chkn'less with basil. They are very nice as well. I would be so depressed without this restaraunt. The value is great as well. You get a lot for your money.

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, good value

Cons: Closed Mondays

Excellent value - Edit

I am not big on mock meats but I did enjoy the kung pao no chicken. The soup was a little bland and the veggies seemed overcooked. The Thai tea with soymilk was a welcome treat.
The table next to me got something that came out on a sizzling platter that looked and smelled great. I will try that next time.
Right now there is a lot of construction on the strip mall and I had a hard time finding it. I called several times and communication was a bit of an issue. I definitely worked hard to get there and was well-rewarded. I tried to go back recently but didn't realize they were closed on Monday (what a bummer).

Pros: Great Value, Good food

Cons: Construction on the building, Staff not incredibly attentive

terrible - Edit

The worst excuse for vegan chinese food I've ever had in my life. Everything was stiff or soggy and had disgusting texture. [edited- please see terms].

Pros: i came out alive, i was allowed to leave, i don't need to ever return

Cons: nasty food, cultish atmosphere, did i mention nasty food?

my perfect restaurant - Edit

it is so cheap and so delicious. i have probably eaten here a hundred times. located in a suburban strip mall parking lot, it's a total amazing surprise. i recommend the lunch special, a ridiculously good deal that includes soup, rice and entree. my favorite items are the thai iced tea, general tso's chicken, and the chicken potato curry. seriously, i have never had better vegan chinese food anywhere. desserts are also yummy - the pies are better than the cakes though. the staff is really nice, and the place has a community following and a friendly, casual ambience.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff, usually fast service

excellent oasis - Edit

the environment was underwhelming -- bad 80s music, decor that was halfway between a typical Chinese restaurant and a fast food place, and a wait staff that seemed either distracted or annoyed -- but the food was excellent. the menu features mock meat dishes, mostly typical chinese fare such as kung pao chicken and mongolian beef. the orange chicken was breaded and superbly sweet, and the mongolian beef was grilled, smokey, and would be an excellent choice for meat-eaters or those veg*s who miss meat. the $5.50 lunch special (comes with entree and rice) is the economical way to go while the other entrees were reasonable ($8-$12) with some house specials costing more. suggested appetizer: skewers, which allow you to sample the grilled chicken, beef, and pork "meats" which are all very very tasty.

the desserts sounded good, but i can only attest to the peanut butter pie, which was vegan and not great, tasting like it was mostly blended peanut butter dumped in a pie shell and very little else. overall though, this is an excellent place well worth the detour off of Interstate 10.

yikes!! - Edit

the previous reviewer might be right, this place was awesome. Although ive only been here once, the food was outstanding. Unfortunately do to where i live i may only get to visit this place very very very sparingly. The people in there were nice and the food was full of flavor. It would be cool if the owners opened up another location ..........hmmm maybe closer to LA, if they did, im sure it would do great.

Pros: great food, fast service, nice atmosphere

Return to Upland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - Upland closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6421 times since Aug 2007.