Lazy Hippo

• ( 17 reviews )

416 Third Ave, San Diego, California, USA, 92101

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant with a separate vegan brunch menu. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-2:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Gluten-free, Non-veg

First Review by Thirrin

BNowell

Points +235

14 Nov 2021

Operating out of Whiskey bar next door!

Come hungry! I got the baby kale salad and the enchiladas! The kale salad was so good! Apples, cranberries, pecans and a lemon mustard dressing. Mild kale. The tofu scramble was great and the enchiladas were somewhat spicy! Three enchiladas and like a quarter avocado garnish. Pico was fab. Nice roja salsa. Went with a decadent French 75 to drink. Whiskey place but they had some decent gin. This was the meal I needed and didn’t even know it!

Pros: About 5 vegan options, but GOOD!, Outdoor seating , Friendly, competent staff! Fab barkeep!

Cons: Not fully vegan (hubs happy, though), Limited vegan selections

flyingovertrout

Points +59

25 Oct 2021

Solid brunch!

Very clearly marked vegan options; the vegan enchiladas were super tasty! Ultra friendly staff who were happy to point out the vegan menu.

plantbasedgal

Points +357

09 Aug 2021

Great vegan selections

This is where you go for vegan pancakes....The best ever! We had the chocolate, banana, and walnut. It's a huge portion, so share or be prepared to take some home.

S...c..

Points +46

Vegetarian
10 Apr 2021

Very good brunch

Very tasty brunch. We are vegetarian and had the delicious OMG French toast, the vegetarian avocado Benny (very good), and avocado toast (ok). There are also vegan options we did not try. There is a long wait but you can go on a waitlist through Yelp which helps. Nice outdoor patio and good Covid precautions.

SaraHulford

Points +24

25 Feb 2020

Good service/food.

Good options for vegans, mostly tofu and vegan chorizo.

VeganHeavy

Points +108

02 Dec 2019

Great food and better service

Vegan burrito, chocolate chip pancakes, and philly sandwich. To die for. And the service was friendly and accommodating. Ordered a vegan Bloody Mary and the bartender cooked one up.

VeeK

Points +56

29 Oct 2019

Yummy breakfast

I loved the vegan breakfast burrito with a side of golden pancakes!

Macarone

Points +236

23 Sep 2019

Cosy and tasty

I had the vegan enchiladas with the soyrizo with a watermelon and mint drink. The enchiladas were very tasty with just the right amount of kick. Portion size was also just right and left me feeling very satisfied. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area looking for vegan options. The staff were also very attentive and friendly.

Pros: Vegan menu , Fresh and tasty

livielikesthis

Points +85

02 Sep 2019

Excellent breakfast spot

Came here with my SO for breakfast whilst visiting the city. Having a vegan section of the menu meant I could actually choose what I felt like eating. The tofu scramble with soyrizo was a giant portion and super tasty. Definitely recommend.

shlomoarnon

Points +127

15 Jun 2019

Nice breakfast/lunch spot

Had the vegan enchiladas with the soyrizo, which added a really nice kick to it. Just stopped in for a quick lunch before getting back to the conference I was at and left quite satisfied.

They have a separate section on the menu with all the vegan items so it’s easy to see what is available. Wish they had even more vegan options!

KaylenaBecker

Points +320

28 May 2019

AMAZING

We decided to go a little out of our way to try the Lazy Hippo and we were not disappointed! Two of us split the breakfast enchiladas and chocolate pancakes and we were in LOVE! Reasonablly priced. Small, so go early.

kianaavlon

Points +202

27 Apr 2019

Amazing vegan enchiladas

Wonderful vegan enchiladas and cold brew iced coffee.

ehjay

Points +240

27 Feb 2019

A few options, but only ok

The good news is they have a separate section on their menu that is all vegan. Yeah! I ordered the burrito, which was scrambled tofu, spinach, avacodo, and tomato, served with homestyle potatoes. Honestly, I was impressed on how well they sucked any possible flavor out of this. Even the avacodo had nothing. And maybe 1 tablespoon of diced tomato in the whole thing. So kudos for doing the right thing, but a little seasoning (salsa perhaps) would’ve gone a long way.

Not related to vegan, but on the beer menu they had a “seasonally rotating IPA”. I asked the waitress what the rotating IPA was, and she literally pointed to my menu and said “it’s this one” while pointing at the words “rotating IPA”.

Pros: Selerate vegan menu, A few different choices

Cons: Lacked any flavor, Waitress was not very bright

agb82

Points +149

19 Feb 2019

Great Brunch

I had the tofu plate and a vegan golden pancake. Both were very good.

Pros: Good food, Large portions

Cons: Very busy, service a little slow

sjwinn9

Points +85

15 Dec 2018

Food was great

The vegan burrito and the jicama soyrizo tacos were very good. The food came out hot and all the flavors blended well.

Only complaint I have is our server was very slow coming back to refill drinks.

Pros: Small separate vegan sections, Tasty

Cons: Slow service

Jtorvs

Points +109

10 Dec 2018

Good food but be specific

They have a very clearly labeled vegan section of the menu but apparently this is new because my server got gluten free and vegan confused when it came to a pancake. The cook was super nice and came out and talked about it and clarified everything. Just double check your ordering vegan pancake not gluten free! Good food though!

Thirrin

Points +52

04 Aug 2018

Huge Portions. Super Oily

cafe with a French feel. beautiful chic inside seating area with some outdoor seating. my hubby got the pancakes and though he has a huge appetite from his athleticism he could only finish 1.5 due to the heaviness. I had the vegan plate, could finish most but the spinach as it was super oily. we both had a juice and glass of tea, the juice was expensive ($8.00) but it was good. all in all, good place, huge portions, a little oily and nice if you have omnivores in your party.

Pros: some vegan options , delicious juices , large tea selection

Cons: oily/greasey

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lazy Hippo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.