CLOSED: La Gran Tapa

Contact 619-234-8272

611 B St, San Diego, California, USA, 92101

Serves meat, vegan options available. Authentic Spanish food tapas restaurant and bar, knows what vegetarian diet is. The menu denotes vg for vegan and vgo for vegan optional. Live music in the evening. Reported closed to HappyCow, Feb 2015.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Non-veg

First Review by jrockerqueen

Just OK - Edit

This restaurant seems to have two sauces - garlic aoili and spicy aoili - that they put on everything. Half of the menu is something sauteed with a side of either or both. The polenta dish was deliciuos. The baguettes were toasty and good. The red sangria was not even good enough to get halfway through. The home-made chips were stale and cold but probably are good when hot and fresh. Overall - nothing to write home about and not enough variety for us veg'ns to justify going back for. The service was pretty lacking too and I wondered if that had to do with the fact that the tip is automatically added to the bill and no tipping is allowed.

Pros: polenta

Cons: service, boring options

A wonderful find - Edit

I was desperate for something healthy and not soaked in grease like most Indian and Thai food is (my two usual vegan stand bys). I did a search on happy cow and this restaurant was with in walking distance of my hotel downtown so I decided to give it a shot. I was wonderfully surprised by the amount of vegan food they had available on their menu. Everything we had was delicious especially the gazpacho. I recommend this restaurant if you are a vegan stuck downtown and craving some tasty healthy food!

Pros: DELICIOUS, small and large plates

Cons: A bit pricey

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: La Gran Tapa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2721 times since Mar 2009.