Kattencafé Ditjes & Katjes

+31-704126959

Piet Heinstraat 66, The Hague, Netherlands, 2518 CK

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cat café with a variety of lunch options which are all nut-free but can also be easily changed into a vegan version. Some, like the house-made apple pie, are already a standard vegan option. The owner is happy to provide options/suggestions to change a meal and is aware of what a vegan meal entails. Hot drinks can be made with soy milk and most produce is organic. Open Wed-Sat 10:00am-6:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Bakery, European, Non-veg

First Review by Gudrun

Delicious apple pie, cozy and clean place, cats - Edit

"Ditjes & Katjes" is the first cat café I have ever visited and honestly I had some doubts. Would the cats be OK living in a café with all those guest wanting to pet them? Being a vegan, I am opposed to use animals for human entertainment... And how about the hygiene?

I came here shortly before closing. The first thing I noticed were a few cats (in total 6 I think) who were looking quite relaxed, and no hint of cat piss whatsoever (that typical stench which is often hard to avoid around cats, I guess everybody knows what I mean). In fact the whole place looked very clean, and the bar was seperated from the seating area with glass windows. I saw immediately that the cats had various ways to escape if they wanted to - there were at least 2 cat flaps leading to sections inaccessible to customers, and some cool furniture attached to the walls which allowed them to climb up, unreachable for potentially annoying humans. Also there was quite some space, and several separate seating areas.

Since I was late there was not much food left, but I got the last, small piece of their delicious vegan apple pie (with a good discount, because normally they serve bigger portions) and a soy cappuccino.

I talked briefly to the owner, a very friendly lady and a real cat lover. She told me that the cats came from a local shelter and have been carefully selected together with the shelter's staff. There are some house rules protecting the cats from overenthusiastic customers. I did not see how it all works when the café is crowded, when I was there there were just a few people, but in general I had a good feeling about the place and I will come back for sure and then check for other vegan options (I forgot to ask because I wanted the apple pie anyway, but I think there was at least vegan soup).

Pros: great vegan apple pie, friendly cats + owner, clean

Return to The Hague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kattencafé Ditjes & Katjes closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.