Karine's

Contact 416-591-0863

32 109 McCaul Street (at Dundas), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5T 3K5

Serves meat, vegan options available. Extensive menu. Has vegan and gluten free items, breakfast all day, weekend brunch. Open Mon 9:00am-4:00pm, Tue-Thu 9:00am-7:00pm, Fri 9:00am-3:00pm, Sun 10:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Mediterranean, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by nbuchana

Great vegan brunch - Edit

A plethora of vegan and vegetarian breakfast/brunch options. The $5.00 special is huge and the food is good. Great vegan pancakes and vegan crepes. All of my brunch orders came with lots of fresh fruit.

The food court setting did not bother me. I was there for good vegan food on a budget, and I thought the atmosphere created by the mix of students, people with day jobs, seniors and tourists (among others) just made the meal more interesting. It was also fun to watch the interactions between customers (lots of “regulars” greeted by name!) and Karine’s staff.

Lunch and dinner also served, but I have only eaten breakfast/brunch there.

Pros: Delightful staff, Great value, Good coffee, reasonably priced

It's a different place to eat your vegan food - Edit

I've been eating at Karine's for a few years now. There were some disappointing moments when I went into the food court and they were CLOSED and when I inquired they were bemused that they were closed, but when they are open you will get some tasty food that fills you up.
There's always salad and wonderful fruit on your plate.
The new baked goods are cool because they are obviously done by an indie baker (as much as I love Sweets From the Earth they have a monopoly on baked goods in Toronto and that means BORING!)
I never crave the food so much as I crave the cheap prices, but it's made with love and it fills you up like I said.
It's a little weird that they serve meat as well (in the breakfast options) but I appreciate their heart.

Pros: cheap, baked goods, luscious fruit on every plate!

Cons: food court = slim seating , weird times closed?

Don't know how anyone could describe as 'just ok' - Edit

Karine is magic. Unfortunately it's located in an ugly, dingy, windowless food court frequented by often loud and rude students and weirdos, but it's totally worth the visit despite all that.

Order any of the mixed item plates on the menu. My partner and I had the 'vegan tofu beni' and the 'vegan goodness' plates. Fresh, colourful Mediterranean-influenced deliciousness, beautifully plated. Wholesome homemade spreads and multigrain breads. I could eat here every day and live forever in a perfect world.

Viva Karine's!

5 cow even though I can only give it 4.

Just ok.. - Edit

Location is a little odd (being in a food court).

We had the pancakes and the vegan waffles. They weren't bad but they weren't exactly very good either. The portions were decent and I did enjoy my fresh juice.

One major positive is the staff. Very friendly and very positive.

Given the options available in Toronto I'd recommend finding somewhere else if you are vegan.

Pros: Staff, Portions

Cons: Location

Hell of a brunch - Edit

Karine's is a little gem. I liked it as much for the people and atmosphere as the food, actually, though the food was very good, and the portions are fairly ridiculous for the price. What's nice about this place is you can bring your confused non-vegan friends and not get any grief, as there are plenty of options for everyone, and the vegan options are seriously good. My French toast was lovely, and came with tons of fruit and sides. The pancakes were solid (not as good as my home made, but still)... and the $4 smoothie was very fairly priced. I will be back! By the way, be aware that this is in a "mall" and thus seating is "mall style".

Pros: value, amazing staff

Good and friendly - Edit

I got the Super Vegan breakfast. Tofu scrambled up with olives and capers and mushrooms. Served with french fries and salad and fruit. It was fantastic. Unusual take on the standard tofu scramble, but it was good and seemed intuitive, rather than "lets make a crazy dish."
And it was a huge serving. So $10, sorta pricey, but its like two meals. Split it with a friend.
The woman also gave me a mint of gooseberries because I asked what the were.
And there was an old lady helping out wearing a bandanna with a skull on it which is pretty cool

Pros: skull bandanna old woman, Super friendly, Killer tofu scramble

Cons: food court

Fresh food - Edit

Karine's restaurant is friendly, fresh and confortable;) Maggie and Karine are great always smiling and happy.Food is great to.I like the assortment of fresh cut Fruit for the breakfast.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 07, 2011
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 07, 2011

Nice to find vegan food in a food court - Edit

While the quality of the food doesn't extend much beyond it's non-vegan food court counterparts, it's great to find a place like this in that sort of environment. You should go just for the enthusiasm of the owner who treats every customer like an ex love.

Pros: Enthusiastic owner

Cons: Food is average

Disappointing - Edit

"Vegan French Toast" should at least be toasted. Instead, it was uncooked drenched with berries and juice, with some sugar. For over $10!!

Also, this is not really a restaurant. It's part of a food court, with self-service seating. That would be OK, if the food were not so disappointing.

Pros: Vegan choices

Cons: Bad food, High prices

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Karine's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2688 times since Nov 2009.