Kaffe O

Contact +44-2890642434

411 Ormeau Rd, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT7 3GP

Serves meat, vegan options available. A Nordic inspired coffee shop serving 100% vegetarian soups, stews and salads, some of which are vegan. Also offers a wide range of breakfast, lunch and gluten free baked goods. Always offers vegan dishes made with fresh and whole foods. Drinks include juices and smoothies. Open Mon-Thu 7:30am-9:00pm, Fri 7:30am-6:00pm, Sat 8:30am-6:00pm, Sun 9:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Nordic , Non-veg

First Review by CiaraSlevin

Good but expensive - Edit

I thought I'd give Kaffe O another try after I was underwhelmed on my first visit about 6 months ago (slow service, order mix ups, coffees forgotten and wifi password never given to us when we asked for it numerous times).

I recently heard they are vegetarian and vegan friendly and wondered what I'd possibly missed on my last visit. Luckily tonight's visit was completely different from the last and went like this:

~ Clear sign up stating you wait to be seated, so you know how things work.
~ Asked for wifi password and was given it immediately.
~ Had a vegan stew of lentils and root vegetables with crusty bread which was delicious.
~ Found out their soups and stews are always vegetarian, sometimes vegan.
~ An ethical business who source local ingredients and use Vegware takeaway packaging which is made from recycled/renewable waste and can actually be recycled with your food waste! I'm impressed!
~ Serve Ecuador Dark Hot Chocolate which is vegan. I had one made with almond milk and it was awesome.
~ They offer almond and soya milks.
~ Gent who served me was helpful, advising which items were vegan and checking ingredients.

My only criticisms are:

~ It's expensive, a small bowl of veg stew with one slice of bread, a glass of fruit juice and a hot chocolate cost £11.45!
~ They charge extra for soya and almond milks (this irritates me to no end, I've noticed a couple of cafés jumping on the bandwagon and doing this recently).
~ I'm not keen on the layout, design and furniture in Kaffe O, it's quite a small space and not very comfortable to sit in.

All in all, much better than my previous visit, I probably would return but only if I'm feeling wealthy as I think the menu's very overpriced. However both food and drinks are of high quality and Kaffe O is open until 9pm Monday to Thursday which is always good in my book.

Previous review, April 2015:
Been wanting to try Kaffe O for ages now but it's a small coffee shop - no free seats when I previously passed. Managed to get a seat today so called in with a friend to try it out. A strange experience. We took our seats and had to get the attention of a waitress to ask whether it was table service or not as no one came over to us. It is and we eventually got menus from a different waitress. Then we seemed to be forgotten about again and had quite a wait before our food order was taken. I ordered a tall black coffee and my friend a latte and some toast, almond butter and jam. I also asked for the wifi password - the waitress said she'd write it down and bring it to me. Five minutes later the waitress came back to us to check our order as she seemed to think she'd gotten it wrong. Then we had another wait and my friends food arrived - no coffees though. So we waited some more and had to remind a waiter who passed us that we'd actually ordered coffee - he told us it was on its way. So we waited some more, by which time my friend had eaten half her food as it was getting cold. Our waitress arrived at our table and apologised saying our order docket had been lost and asked for our coffee orders again! Again we waited and the coffees arrived with another apology and we were told we would not be charged for one of the coffees due to the mix up and wait. Both male and female staff asked if our food and coffees were ok and apologised for the delays. I have to say the coffee was good and my friend thought her food was nice if a little overpriced. Others in the cafe had some tasty looking salads and caramel squares. There's not a lot of seating in Kaffe O - it's a bit cramped and not very comfortable - however after my experience today I doubt I'll go in again. All in all it was a bit of a comedy of errors and I never was given the wifi password! I veered between giving Kaffe O a 2 or a 3 rating out of 5 and opted for a 3 hoping that this was just an off day for them and that normally the service is not such a farce...

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kaffe O closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.