Jimbo's Naturally - El Camino Real

• Health-food-store Health Store
858-793-7755

12853 El Camino Real Rd, San Diego, California, USA, 92130

Part of the Jimbo's Markets in San Diego county. Large size, has a vegetarian-friendly deli, juice bar, salad bar, in addition to fresh organic produce, nutritional supplements and vitamins, herbs, alternative care products, books, bulk food, and more. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-9:00pm.

First Review by mrshmtaylor

Expensive and BAD quality - Edit

I use to shop here all the time until I started going else where and realized that i was paying REALLY HIGH prices for terrible produce. I don't know where they get their produce from but it sucks. I feel like people shop here because they don't know what they could be getting for a better price.

I also have had many times where i ask for a case of something, come home and find that they gave me the wrong case or the right case with all the wrong product inside. (Yes i learned my lesson, i look each time now)

I also was getting gluten free bread there that constantly falls apart, but when i buy the exact same brand else where the bread stays fully intact. They must allow the bread to thaw out and then put it back in the fridge. So that really sucks when i'm paying $8 for a loaf.

I've seen the food display people texting on their phones with their food gloves on and then proceed to hand out samples and cut the food directly touching it, yuck! Thats happened on multiple occasions***

I wanted to love this place but hate myself and them every time I go. :( very very disappointing.

Updated from previous review on 2017-05-27

Pros: gluten free options, vegan options, non product selection

Cons: produce is horrific (multiple staff admit it), Prices are outrageous , rude managers

Best Grocery - Edit

I've been doing my full load grocery trips here for 14 years. I am grateful every time I go. They will go out of there way for you. I even emailed them a large grocery list once to shop for me because I had a severe injury. No problem. Paid over the phone and had a friend pick it up. That was truly a life saver for me. Everyone is very friendly. A while ago I asked if they had truly raw organic rolled oats, they didn't and a couple of weeks later it was on the shelf. They have a great prepared foods area (mostly organic) and a juice bar as well and I usually get lunch when I go. I see Jimbo himself sometimes too. As a whole foods vegan if I only had once place to choose from this would be it. My son loves it too.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 14, 2015

variety and vegan sweets from scratch - Edit

For quick food there is plenty of variety; hot, cold, raw, beverages. My go to is the veggie burger- hot and vegan. It is torture trying to not indulge in all of the made from scratch Vegan desserts. The Coconut Curry is tasty when they have it. And the Veg soup is fresh tasting.

Pros: quality ingredients, helpful service

Cons: too many choices

this store saved this traveler - Edit

I was in La Jolla/Mira Mesa for a wedding and chose this place after a quick review of the Happy Cow iPhone app (THANK YOU COMPLETELY WORTH THE PURCHASE!!).

Instead of having to navigate my way through restaurants (and especially because I was on a budget), I came to Jimbo's, bought a bunch of vegan snacks and staples and brought them back to my hotel fridge so I would not go hungry for the short time I was here. I bought lunch to go, some snacks to leave in my car at the wedding in case there was nothing for me to eat, and snacks to take to the beach and to the airport.

Besides all the vegan grocery staples, they have an extensive deli counter with foot priced by weight (Quinoa Pilaf and Curry Tofu Mirage were delicious), there was also pre-made dishes you can grab to go and there is a sandwich counter with several vegan options. I was there way longer than I needed to be because there were so many choices I couldn't decide what to get. I wish there was a place like this back home, I would shop there regularly.

Lots of raw choices as well. Well done Jimbos. It could only be better if it was exclusively vegetarian/vegan.

Pros: Huge selection, Vegan & Raw, Very friendly staff

Cons: Large meat counter

Beautiful and Friendly - Edit

I was wondering if I'd be able to stay raw on this trip to San Diego, but there was absolutely no problem thanks to Jimbo's Naturally in Del Mar (San Diego). What a beautiful store, friendly staff (I found San Diego in general to be exceptionally friendly), great selection, and they recycle. Unfortunately you can't wash and re-use the plastic containers due to health regulations, but they're offering the next best alternative: biodegradable containers. The only threat to my raw diet was the wonderful smell of the cooked food available in the deli. :) The salad bar had a truly exceptional variety of vegetables even including sunflower sprouts! And there was a juice bar right there so I even got to have fresh wheatgrass juice each day. The first day I bought my fruit for my breakfasts, bulk raisins and nuts for my snacks, and bulk wild rice and quinoa which I sprouted each day (in my hotel dresser drawer in containers I brought) and added them to my salads in the evening. There were also pre-made options labelled "Raw". I felt great all throughout this trip thanks to eating raw and had no trouble concentrating at the seminar as a result. Many thanks to Jimbo's Naturally!

Pros: friendly, great selection, kind to environment

I Love Jimbo's - Edit

I recently started working at a store right next to a Jimbo's Naturally, and just happened to stumble in one day on my lunch break. I LOVE IT! There's a great selection of to-go vegetarian and vegan/raw foods in their deli. I love the hummus wraps :) I've also had the blueberry blast smoothie, it was delicious.
As always, items can get a little expensive, but there are usually some great alternatives near by. Their prices on Ezekiel bread were the best I'd seen in the area.
Definitely walk in and take a look around. I think the one thing I noticed was that they didn't have a huge soymilk alternative selection. I don't drink Soy, I prefer Almond or Rice milk.
Oh, and they have reusable bags everywhere! When you don't get a plastic bag, you have the chance to donate your 5 or 10 cents back to a charity. How neat is that?

Pros: healthy cuisine, very friendly staff, large selections

Cons: prices can be high

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jimbo's Naturally - El Camino Real closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.