First Review by sullivusb

Vegan Muffins - Edit

We stopped by on our way to the airport and grabbed the two pastry items that were vegan, a Banana Macadamia gluten-free muffin and a zucchini muffin. The gluten-free one was a little dry, but had a nice flavor and the zucchini one was moist and delicious.

some vegan options... - Edit

The vegan muffins were amazing and the coffee was great, but we learned that their bread is not vegan which made it difficult to find some lunch here. Cute place, good for a smoothie stop!

Pros: quality coffee

Cons: not fully vegan

some vegan options. great food and coffee - Edit

It's hard to find a good cup of coffee in Hawaii. These guys have a great americano. I had a fallafel wrap and it was AMAZING! Highly recommended. Customer service was really good too for a place that busy they were super friendly.

Great espresso! - Edit

I'm super fussy when it comes to my espresso and I drink it straight over ice and there's is delicious. They have a great selection of vegan and gluten free items which is wonderful. The vegan and or gluten free muffins are the bomb! I'm sure we be there a few more times before we leave the island!

Pros: friendly staff, great espresso, yummy food

Good coffee shop in Kapaa - Edit

This is a decent place to get coffee with a few vegan pastries in the case. The shop coffee has non-dairy milk options (almond, soy, and full fat coconut). Prices are a bit steep compared to what I am used to at home, with an iced non-dairy latte starting at $5 for 16oz, but this seems to be the going rate here.

Yay! - Edit

Just returned from Kauai- ate here twice. The taro burger is definitely vegan! Complete with veganaise... They also have purple potato salad which is also vegan, but they were out of it whilst I was there :-( Guess I'll just have to fly back out to get it! There may have been another bbq taro vegan option, but I'm not sure...

Pros: Friendly staff

An Oasis for Early Risers - Edit

Ate here twice on my last business trip to Kauai, mostly because they were the only thing open at 6 am. I was pleasantly surprised! Exceptionally friendly staff, and welcoming coffeeshop atmosphere. For vegans, however, the menu choices are somewhat limited. As mentioned in the review below, a banana-macnut muffin, tomato hummus bagel (surprisingly good, though a bit heavy on the garlic), a veggie wrap (if I recall correctly), a delicious fruit cup, and a taro burger (did not confirm this was vegan). They also have a variety of smoothies and juices, though about half have dairy or honey. The two I tried were delicious! The food is very tasty. They bake everything onsite every morning. Prices are a bit high (taro burger = $12, tomato hummus bagel = $6), though nothing out of the ordinary for Kapaa.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Food, Consistent

Cons: Pricey, Limited Vegan Fare

Great for breakfast! - Edit

The Java Kai in Kapaa has great vegan smoothies, assorted pastries, and sandwiches. It is a particularly good breakfast option as it opens at 6:00 AM on weekdays, while many other places won't open until after 9:00. Their banana macadamia nut muffins were great and we had these for breakfast several times during our stay in Kawaii. The tomato and hummus bagel sounds basic, but there homemade hummus is amazing, making this sandwich a real treat. We also tried their vegan brownie but found it to be just so-so.

We visited one other Java Kai location during our stay in Kauai but did not find it to be as vegan friendly (although vegan smoothie options were still available).

Pros: open early, vegan friendly, nice atmosphere

Cons: small portions

Return to Kapaa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Java Kai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1272 times since Nov 2011.