Iydea Vegetarian Kitchen

Contact 01273-667992

17 Kensington Gardens, North Laine, Brighton, England, BN1 4AL

Brighton veggie cafe with counter service. Its original cafe. Offers a variety of food including vegan cakes. Vegan lunch on Sunday. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-5:30pm, Sun 11:00am-5:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Fast food, Take-out, British, English

First Review by sussexbunny

Favourite lunch spot in Brighton - Edit

If I ever have visitors from back home this is the place I take them without fail. The food is amazing and the location is great as its in the middle of all the excitement of the north lanes. Highly recommend the smoothies and the vegan cakes are always fab.

Vegan buffet! - Edit

We visited here after hearing some glowing reviews online. The reviews were not wrong and this is definitely the place to go if you want some quick, tasty food. Be aware that this place is very busy though, so if you want a seat get in here early! Basically what you have here is a buffet selection of vegetarian and vegan food (labelled) where you can order one main dish, 2 salads or veggie sides and 2 toppings, all for about £5. They also have specials available. The choice is excellent and the staff should be commended for the speed in which they are able to serve everyone. This place is not where you would go for fine dining but is perfect for lunch. Highly recommend.

Pros: Good vegan food, Good value , Friendly staff

Cons: Very busy, difficult to get a seat

Good hearty food - Edit

Vegetarian with a fair amount of vegan options. Buffet style with plenty of seating.
I had sweet corn cakes in a peanut butter sauce that were served with rice and a choice of two side salads for only just under 8£ it was very tasty, filling and perfect for buffet dining.

Pros: good location , reasonable prices , large portions

Perfect for quick lunch! - Edit

I love the idea of picking my favourite main and sides when looking at them, although it's always a hard job as every single thing looks so yummy. Menu slightly changes everyday, you can check out on facebook what deiciousness they cooked for you each day. Everything's incredibly tasty (my fav-roti, beet chutney /both vegan/, my bf's fav-enchillada /vegeterian/), cakes to die for! Gets veryyyy busy in lunch time so I suggest take away and go to Paviloin Gardens nearby

Pros: cheap, variety of vegan dishes, quick

Brilliant cafe - Edit

Went to Brighton this weekend for the veggiefest and was lucky enough to be walking round the shops Friday morning and a local in the shop told me about this cafe always good to listen to locals so went in and was not disappointed.I had the pie, pots and veg all cooked in herbs. It was fantastic and staff were all very nice and friendly. I liked it so much went back for breakfast on Saturday morning. Must go back to Brighton for this place alone.
Many thanks

Pros: Great food, good position, Lovely staff

Fantastic vegan dishes - Edit

When I lived in Brighton, this was my favourite place to go for a vegan meal, out of ALL the veg restaurants in Brighton. And there is a lot to choose from.

I loved being able to see the food and choose what I wanted - everything looked so delicious and there were so many healthy dishes! I also loved having a slice of their vegan cake for a treat or a vegan cider...so good!

Pros: Delicious food , Healthy options , Nice atmosphere

yummy tiffin :D - Edit

Just a quick review to say I've bought the vegan tiffin a few times and it's really scrummy :D I've tried to stop here for a proper lunch every time I've come to brighton but unfortunately there's never a free table :( food looks delicious though - I'll keep trying!!!!

Very Good Iydea! - Edit

Just lovely place to eat! Good atmoshphere. Very busy! Good selection/ lots of choice. Perfect for a Sunday slap up. Hot bar set up so...everything is ready to eat! : D I had the Nut Roast en-croute, it was delish. Gravy was so tasty I asked for more and was kindly obliged. The service was excellent, as was the Raspberry Vanilla cake! Took a breakfast muffin in the a.m. Very clever Idyea - hot and ready to go which was great as I was running to catch the train back to London. Looking forward to returning!

Pros: Everything

Cons: I don't live closer!

Not impressed - Edit

Got lunch from here today as I am in Brighton for a conference. I got take away as it was cheaper and there weren't any tables free when I arrived. The vegan option was a lasagne, which was very nice and tasty, but none of the side options went with it. In the end I went for potatoes and roasted veg with some beetroot chutney, as well as a cup of tea. The box that my food came in was thin enough that I could feel the hot food burning my fingers through it, which made it very difficult to carry. To make matters worse, the lid on my cup of tea didn't fit properly so I kept slopping hot tea all over my hands as I was walking along. Overall not well thought out and I suspect that this packaging was chosen because it's eco-friendly rather than because it does the job. All of that aside, what I resented most is being charged 20p for soya milk in a vegetarian restaurant!! Won't be eating here again, the food isn't worth the price or the hassle.

Pros: Friendly staff, Generous portion

Cons: Not many vegan options, Hazardous packaging!, Charge for soya milk

my favourite! - Edit

This is one of my favourite places to eat! I get my lunch from here at least twice a week and I'm never disappointed! The staff are always helpful and friendly, there's always a few vegan options, it's reasonably priced and you get a good size portion. I highly recommend this place to everyone!

Pros: friendly staff, lots of choice, reasonably priced

I want to live in this place - Edit

In fact, I nearly did live here the week I spent in Brighton. The food is stunningly delicious, the staff are lovely and there are plenty of vegan dishes, clearly labelled and all the ingredients listed. I came here for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea and loved every one of them. The only slight negative would be how crowded it can get, which can make it hard to get a table. However, overall, this is one of the best places I've ever eaten. Consistently fabulous. Go now.
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 23, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Fantastic value

Cons: Gets very crowded

Used to be A* - standards are slipping. - Edit

Used to be the best place to eat in Brighton, but lately the service has been awful - which is a shame because that was always one of the biggest selling points of the cafe, aside from the fantastic food. Have been ignored by staff and rudely told off by them for unjustifiable reasons.

Perfect for breakfast - loads of brilliant sweet and savoury options. The vegan breakfast muffin is amazing! Their cakes and tiffins are delicious, and their main courses are usually vegan-friendly, although sometimes there aren't too many to choose from. Don't expect a relaxing meal - the cafe is always very busy and turnaround is swift, but well worth a visit.

Pros: Breakfasts are brilliant, Try the chocolate tiffin!

Cons: Recent awful service, Not always vegan-friendly, Quick turnaround

A bit chaotic - Edit

I have been to Iydea twice, and found it a bit overwhelming both times. They have buffets with a wide variety of dishes, but it's a bit much to take in all at once. The staff is helpful in decoding the multitude of dishes though. And the food has been good.
My main complaint is that the place is very noisy and easily feels crowded.

Good Iydea for Breakfast - Edit

Really pleasant place in the North Laine, Brighton with a good atmosphere. Staff were friendly and helpful and the range of options was good. Alot for vegans too as most that wasn't could be made vegan. Had the Big Breakfast and a smoothie and they werent lying on the size, but it was tasty. Only problem we ever have is finding a table as it is often busy, but well worth it if you can get in!

Pros: Good Vegan Selection, Friendly Staff

Cons: Often Busy

Lovely place - Edit

This is a really lovely place... friendly staff and tasty food. Seems really good value for what you get.

There are lots of choices and everything is vegetarian with lots of vegan options. Cakes too, for anyone with a sweet tooth.

If you opt to take out, it is really good value too. I did that, since it was so incredibly full during the lunch time I visited.

Recommended. I would definitely go again and recommend this place!
Updated from previous review on Friday August 10, 2012
Updated from previous review on Friday August 10, 2012

Pros: Lots of choice, value

Cons: Too busy to enjoy lunch time sit down, Not open evenings

Brilliant food and bargain prices - Edit

Having spent a good part of two days exploring Brighton on foot and browsing numerous menus of vegetarian and vege friendly cafes I have to say Iydea seems the best. I have eaten there on two occasions now - once takeaway, once eating in. The prices for take-out are slightly cheaper but sometimes you just want to sit down in the cafe, though it can get incredibly busy around 12:30 so I'd suggest getting there early.

The ingredients are listed above the food and this is very useful for me as I have a lemon allergy and find it difficult ascertaining if it is in food. There are plenty of vegan options, these include the best vegan lasagne I have ever eaten. There is a excellent selection of side dishes and toppings, so much so that you can end up holding up the ever busy queue trying to decide!

Well worth a visit.

Pros: Food selection, Good quality ingredients, Great value

Cons: Small , Incredibly busy

yummy in my tummy - Edit

There is a reason this place is busy - it's amazing. fresh and tasty veggie food, decent prices, great variety. friendly, laidback atmosphere and helpful staff. If you visit brighton, don't leave until you try their gnocci!

My favourite veggie spot in Brighton - Edit

Does great breakfast and lunches but can get quite busy. Everything is labelled as vegan and gluten free and the ingredients are all listed (handy for those with a food allergy). Does a nice range in vegan cakes too. Can get very crowded at times though.

Pros: good range of food, great vegan cakes, friendly staff

Cons: gets very crowded

I rarely say nice, but I like this place. - Edit

I had lunch here quite recently for 6.50 GBP chowing down some yummy Shepherd's Pie, roasted carrots with sweet potatoes, some tomato based salad, and the entire plate topped off with a spoonful of hoummos and salsa. It was quite packed inside so I sat outside on the not too wet picnic benches. Welcoming staff and good value food, there is absolutely nothing weird or unhygienic about this place as other comments might suggest. It is a canteen style cafe after all.

Pros: Close to shopping areas., Good value food, and drinks available., Great décor.

Cons: Might be tricky to get a seat inside.

canteen style food and reasonable prices - Edit

Have been a few times and haven't been that impressed. There are lots of vegan choices and the food is always good value for money which tastes OK but never amazing. You do not choose from a menu but choose either a small or large plate and fill it with whats on offer that day from a canteen style set-up. There are hot and cold (salad) selections with choices of dressings and dips. There is large selection of fresh juices/smoothies which are good. Quite often busy and cramped seating with the possibility of ending up on a table with people you don't know. Good if you want quick food at a reasonable price.

Pros: healthy fast food, good prices

Cons: can be hectic

Best Veggie Cafe in Brighton - Edit

Fab veggie cafe with a great selection of good value, unpretentious but tasty, freshly cooked food. Great example for all the people who think vegetarians just eat lentils, tofu and salad leaves!
It would be nice if it was also open in the evenings though!

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff

Cons: closed evenings

Lots of choice, - Edit

A counter service cafe with lots of selection and choice for vegans. Everything clearly marked with ingredients/suitability for vegans etc. It is quite small and did get pretty busy nearer lunchtime, but good value for money and great to choose what sides hot or cold you want with your main meal

Pros: lots of variety, vegan options cleary marked, tasty

Good idea - Edit

Do you remember Food for Friends in the good old days when you queued out of the shop to get to the counter for a plateful of good-value filling yummy bakes, veg and salads? Ahh, if you just sighed, you will really like this cafe.
We've eaten here a few times and there's usually a good choice for vegans, including the all-important sweet selection. Only had one meal we didn't enjoy - arrived between breakfast and lunch which meant there wasn't much available and the staff could probably have done with a break. Other times we have had great tasting food, good filling stuff in a real cafe atmosphere.

Pros: Vegan choices, Chocolatey-fudgy-biscuity-yummy-thing, Good value

The other reviews are very misleading! - Edit

Had the full breakfast. Each component had been pre-made and it seemed like several parts had been sitting for a very long time. The veggie sausages were completely dried out/rubbery and the mushrooms had also clearly been sitting perhaps overnight. The point is, none of this was freshly prepared.

While the lady serving my food did seem quite polite, I went to this place to eat food, not to pay to see her. So i dont want the people running this place to think they are bad at their jobs, they just need to learn to serve freshly prepared food. I was really honestly horrified when i saw them scooping all this stuff from metal bins behind the counter. I may as well have gone to mcdonalds. Seriously. What is the point of running a restaurant like this [edited by staff-see tos]
So beware folks. That is all i'm saying, beware.

Pros: staff nice, pretty clean, good coffee

Cons: food not fresh, food was slop, food scooped

iydea I'm personally very sorry to here that your expectations of iydea were not met. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we now make all breakfast components in-house as we do with our lunch. We have also radically changed the way we serve breakfast. We now serve a pick and mix, point and get breakfast which has over 25 hot and cold housemade items to choose from. Once again thank you for the feedback but please be mindful that "scooping from metal bins" is actually what we are all about. Kind regards Seb (owner)

loved everything about it - Edit

I was impressed with the many deserts i could choose from. Amazing food, maybe could of had more main meals to choose from but not complaining cos i was happy with what was on offer. Very reasonably priced i could afford it and that means its not expensive! Great atmosphere, had place up stairs too. Easy to find and had friendly staff.

Pros: great desserts, fab atmopshere, tasty and filling food

Cons: can get easily crowded

Yummy - Edit

I had the veggie cooked breakfast. It was very nice, and the portion sizes were great (so much, I couldn't finish it all!). Staff were also pleasant.
The only down side was that I didn't have enough room to try the vegan choc fudge cake.

Pros: Yummy food, Very reasonably priced, Friendly staff

The Best in Brighton - Edit

I have lived here all my life and i would say this is the best veggie place in town. The food is always great with a good mix and selection at all times. Staff are always nice and friendly + i'd say it's good value for your money. i will be going back again... and again... and again.....

Pros: good selection, always tasty, good value

excellent - Edit

I first ate here summer 2006 when they had just opened.

I ate there several times summer 2007.

The food is excellent and offers good value for money.

I like to sit outside, relax and watch the world go by.

One of the places to eat in Brighton.

Also worth trying is Infinity Foods and Bom-Bane's (not veggie, but serves good veggie food).

Iydea is also a BookCrossing zone.

Pros: good food, good value, nice atmosphere

Contributions +87

Good fresh and fast food - Edit

This is a little gem of a place. Although the vegan main dishes is normally limited to one dish the veg and salad to go with it are fantastic and really fresh. I had the Hickory pie with carrots and roatsed parsnips which were great and for a fiver. A good selection of vegan cakes and soya drinks. One of the best veggie places to eat in Brighton and well worth a visit.

Pros: Fresh, Wholesome, Well priced

Cons: Vegan option/mains

As good as it gets! - Edit

More veggie places to eat in brighton than you could shake a stick at (one of the reasons i have moved here from london!)
Iydea is a brilliant cafe that has got everything right. It has fast counter service for take away or eat in. Interesting dishes, different each day with lots of fresh veg & salad lovingly prepared.The staff are a joy, very welcoming and friendly and added to this lunch will cost you around £5.We really look forward to going there.

Pros: happy friendly staff, fresh crisp veg , amazing value

Return to Brighton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Iydea Vegetarian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5066 times since Aug 2007.