First Review by txveg

Super good deal - Edit

They are closed Saturday. Lunch hours are short. This is not a restaurant. The steamed veggies go fast! Get there early. This place only takes cash. The lunch buffet is only $6 and it is worth it. I work down the road. I have only been here once with a few co-workers to try the place out. I found more soy-free food to eat here than at Veggie Garden and Suma's Veggie combined. My co-workers liked the fact that the food wasn't all deep fried and mock meats.

Pros: inexpensive, casual, vegan

Cons: short lunch hours

Yummy vegan food - Edit

I tried this cafeteria out a few days ago. I must say, I agree with the previous post. It is a very, very, very casual school lunch-room atmosphere. But it is only $6 for lunch.

There are two vegan Chinese lunch buffets within a 2 minute drive of the International Buddhist Progress Society Cafeteria, Veggie Garden and Suma Veggie. I have also tried both of those restaurants. And I agree with the previous post, that the lunch buffets contain heavy soy mock-meats. While they go very, very, very, very light on the steamed and raw veggies. I also agree that I liked the B.P.S.C. lunch buffet more because there were no mock meats. ;-) But if you want to enjoy vegan Chinese mock-meat heaven try Suma Veggie. They are less expensive than Veggie Garden, the food is almost identical and the owners are super friendly.

Pros: inexpensive, tasty, filling

Cons: not allergy friendly, light on raw produce, light on steamed veggies

Very Casual! - Edit

I ate here for the first time with my friend and her two children (ages 1 and 3). They chowed down on the wheat noodles. She is not a vegetarian but she told me three times that she loved how flavorful the food was.

About the food:
The cold food bar is not the focus. Today there was only raw romaine lettuce with shredded carrots and raw apples.

The hot buffet bar contained: fried vegan egg rolls, fried tofu, stir-fry with bamboo and mushrooms, stir-fried bean sprouts, stir-fried broccoli stems with tofu, two kinds of vegan soup a lentil bean and a mushroom soup (all with soy ),two savory rice dishes with a sprinkle of vegetables(no soy),two spicy/savory rice noodle dishes with a sprinkle of vegetables, two mushroom dishes and a tofu dish.

I have allergies so I did not try everything but my friend said she like everything. I had a salad and rice. Everything else had an ingredient that I am allergic to in it. I wasn't full. But my girlfriend was. That said, I would recommend this place to those who don't have allergies who are looking for an inexpensive tasty meal. I won't go back simply because the food has too many allergens for me. :-)

I have tried, Veggie Garden and Suma Veggie Garden's lunch buffet and I liked the Buddhist's cafeteria lunch buffet more because there was no mock-tofu meat and not all the dishes had soy sauce! But I won't be going back to any of the three places. Don't get me wrong, all three vegan restaurants mentioned above have delicious lunch buffet. And all three lack a lot of fresh veggies. For those who don't have soy allergies. It is a soy feast!

Updated from previous review on Friday June 15, 2012

Pros: inexpensive, vegan, yummy

Cons: lacks a large selection of fresh veggies

love it - Edit

This is just a very casual place, with great food. Don't expect anything as far as ambiance or atmosphere. It is a buffet with styrofoam plates and plastic forks. But hey it is only $6 per person, and sometimes free if you get there late and they're getting rid of the leftover food. One day they literally kept bringing food to our table telling us to eat it. The food is so tasty, and very authentic and homemade. They always have something different, and tasty.

Contributions +49

Good food, good price - Edit

A simple cafeteria style lunch. Lots of choices from the buffet tables to make you happy. You make your meals here by choosing favorite sauces and favorite starch to put your main food on. It is not a date place, but more of a get away from it place for a quiet simple meal for a good price.

Pros: simple, quiet, good food

Return to Richardson Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has International Buddhist Progress Society Cafeteria closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4977 times since Aug 2007.