First Review by Lynne

Not good at all - Edit

Came here for dinner with my partner. Famished, we ordered the vegetarian starter plate with samosas, pakoras and papads; saag aloo and chana masala, both of which came with rice; and a side order of roti.

Overall the service was great, portions were generous, but the food was mediocre at best. The flavors lacked complexity; everything just tasted a little off. The papads were served already broken into smaller pieces. The chutneys were weak and watery. The pakoras were heavy and had too much batter. Freshly made rotis should come out steaming hot, soft, thin and pliable; what we got was a big piece of flatbread cut into quarters. Tepid, dry, thick and a bit tough. The curries were just passable. Never have I been to an Indian restaurant where no one else but the cook was Indian, maybe that's why.

It was a disappointing meal given the high rating. Obviously it'd be unfair to hold this place to the same standards as Indian restaurants in big cities, so I gave it a three, mainly for the service.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-23

Pros: friendly service, big portions

Cons: food quality

Great Place! - Edit

It's always refreshing for me to be able to go into a restaurant and be able to pick out the veg options right away. I love that they have everything marked (the vegan/dairy free options have happy faces next to them).

The restaurant is very clean and the owner (also our waitress) was super friendly. She was quick to explain dishes and answer questions knowledgably. I felt very confident ordering here.

I'm new to Indian cusine, but thought the food was fresh and was homemade. It was served hot and quickly as well. I will be back!

Pros: Friendly, knowledgeable staff, Clearly marked veg options, Healthy, quality food

Cons: Hot pink painted walls

Best Indian food - Edit

The owners are wonderful and will work with your diet. Not all veggie items are vegan, but they will work with you on what you can eat, and what can be made vegan. They have a range of spice levels. As the other reviewer said 1-10 with 7 being my favorite. The 10 is amazing, but watch yourself. I use to have the great Chai Milk Shake prior to going vegan. Yumm! Chana Malai and Avtar's Benghen Bhartha are my favorites, but everything is good. They started in a very small little place and grew to a good size place due to their reputation for great food.
I spent one week a month in Medford for work for 6 years, and exclusively ate here by choice. A lot of great food for a good price, and amazing owners make this a place I drove 3 hours, just to bring some friends to try this. Thank You, Tammy and Avtar (and kids), for the great food and memories.
Lynn

Pros: excellent food, Variety of choices, Great owners

Cons: none

pretty good - Edit

I felt pretty confident eating here. There is a vegetarian section on the menu with vegan items clearly marked. I also thought it was cool that you can choose how spicy you want each dish from 1-10. Beware though, I love spicy food, and 6 was about as hot as I can handle.

The food was good, friendly service, seemed really clean too. I'll go there again.

Pros: good food, vegan items clearly marked

Cons: not all vegan

Return to Medford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has India Palace closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1849 times since Aug 2008.