First Review by veganmanc

a must for vegans! - Edit

Lovely place, there were around 6 soy flavours. I chose strawberry and vanilla every time I visited.
I was not even a wafer, but I'm very glad I didn't as I wasn't sure they were vegan.
The cups were pilled high and I was overall very pleased with both the experience and the product.
This place is a must for vegans fed up with sorbets!

Pros: clearly labelled, cup and cone options

Delicious pistachio, no vegan mint - Edit

We tried the pistachio, hazelnut (nocciola) and cappuccino soya flavours. Pistachio was definitely the best one.

They have half a dozen soya flavours near the entrance, and can serve them in a vegan cone on request (the "normal" cone is not vegan).

Pros: Clearly labelled soya gelato

Cons: Limited vegan flavours: for example, no mint

Delicious! - Edit

I am so happy to find this place. I am a new vegan so I've been missing my favourite pistachio in Italy.. Now I can have all the gelato I want! I had pistachio and coconut and they were both delicious.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap , Wide Variety

Delicious vegan gelato, friendly service - Edit

I went here 2 days ago, and the guy behind the counter was SUPER excited that I asked about vegan gelato. He assured me the soy gelato was vegan but said that the cones are not vegan.

They had 5 vegan flavors the night I went in. I tried 3 of them, and they were all delicious.

Pros: Vegan gelato

not vegan anymore - Edit

Hi. Went there today (8 Dec 2013). Asked which gelato was vegan and the man said none. Very disappointed. Should have read the other review which had also found this.

Cons: no vegan gelato, no soy gelato

No soy gelato - Edit

I went out of my way to go here on a Saturday, and the case was filled with dairy gelato, but I didn't see any soy gelato. I asked the person behind the counter and they confirmed they didn't have ANY soy gelato. Thinking it was just a temporary shortage, I went back several hours later and they still didn't have any. So if you want a sure-fire place to get soy gelato, don't bother going here.

Pros: Lots of dairy gelato

Cons: No soy gelato

Several soy gelato options! - Edit

An easy walk from the colosseum, this gelateria has several soy-based flavors to choose from. No seating inside and can get quite crowded, so walk half a block back down the street to sit by the fountain which, shockingly, seems to be a gathering place for actual local Romans even though it's close to the tourist sites. Recommended!

Pros: Flavor choices, Friendly service

Cons: Crowded

Tasty - Edit

Easy to find from the coliseum (follow on street level) virtually opposite mother India.
We visited in December. There was a sign and though we don't understand Italian it seemed to say they will be shut in January as there is not much of demand. Back open in feb.
We had chocolate and vanilla in 3 euro tubs. Tubs are large,suggest if you are just sampling go for smallest size! Chocolate was nicest.

Lady behind counter didn't speak English and was rather grumpy! Good job the gelato made up for it. Reading earlier comments,we avoided the cone. Thank you !

Pros: A nice treat

Cons: Grumpy staff

a real treat - Edit

il gelatone is a real treat in the Roma heat! we tried these soy flavors: cappuccino, hazelnut, pistachio, chocolate, mixed berry, and coconut. they were all very good, cappuccino was my favorite. very creamy. the prices for soy flavors are slightly higher than regular gelato. it was €2, €2.50, and €3 for the different cup sizes. there is also take away containers for €20 per kilo (or around there). they had no vegan cones.

the location is also very nice, it is near the collesseo and cavour stops on metro line B, easy to walk to, easy to find.

Pros: flavor variety, good location, so tasty

Cons: no vegan cones

Great selection of vegan ice cream - Edit

Visited June 2011 - big selection of soy gelato in the section near the door. There were 8 flavours including pistachio, hazelnut and coconut. It's a small place so only about 5 seats inside and no outdoor seats but its a central location.
Thanks to the Vegan Backpacker blog to alerting me to this place! (http://veganbackpacker.com/blog/rome-italy-vegan-vegetarian/)

Pros: Vegan icecream, Central location

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Il Gelatone closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3509 times since Jul 2011.