First Review by a112

Experiencing Vegetarian Fine-Dinning @ Honzen - Edit

Situated in Little India at Sam Leong Street is Honzen. This vegetarian restaurant was at Bugis area but have moved to Little India. I have been to this restaurant when they were operating at Bugis and when I wanted to visit them again last year, they were no longer there.

Due to my busy schedule, I didn’t really catch up on what’s new in the vegetarian food scene in Singapore. It seems that there are lots of happenings.

If it wasn’t someone who told me about this eatery last December, I would have thought this restaurant no longer exist. Being invited to a dinner at this place by someone, I brought with me the old expectation which I have when I last visited them.

Surprise! When I stepped into this place, the renovation catch my attention - it projected a calm and peaceful vibe. The next surprise was to discover that they moved into a new dinning concept – Vegetarian Fine Dining and on the 2nd level is their tea house. Indeed, this is contributing to a more vibrant vegetarian food scene here. Kudos.

Vegetarians now here have more choices. I believe it would provide another food venue for non-vegetarian to sample different type of vegetarian food.

Here, diner get to choose from few set menu and it will be changed often for the surprise element. The food is delicious and kid menu (Burger with salad and fried, Mushroom Soup) at $10 is available.

As it is of fine-dining concept, so for big eaters, you may need to order some side orders. However, a pleasant place to charm your beloved this Valentine’s day.

Pros: Relaxing & Quiet, Friendly & Cheerful, Tasty Vegetarian Food

It was a good change - Edit

After going through the interesting Chinatown market area, we sought out Honzen. I was a bit surprised that the restaurant is divided into two parts and one of them is vegetarian. The choices are not great. I had the pasta in tomato sauce. I have been getting a bit tired of Chinese and Indian food and although the food was not something to write home about, it was a nice change.

Pros: Clean, Cheap

Cons: Limited choice

peaceful place in busy bugis - Edit

the place inside is very peceful and quiet, despite the general business of the area.
except one raw dish, no choices. but all dishes are vegetarian, no eggs, no onion, no garlic. some come with cream, can be served without.
drinks come with honey and super sweet. mention if you wish without, some of them can be prepared, some are already made. teas are celebrated, nice servings. price ok.
staff is much friendlier than the owner. overall good experience.

Return to Central Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Honzen Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2205 times since Jun 2011.