Hectors Restaurant

Contact +64-93798553

35 Hobson St (at Wyndham St), Auckland, New Zealand,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Hotel restaurant wit atrium setting under the canopy of native palms. Seats up to 120 diners. Pacific-rim menu with a separate vegan menu for the restaurant and the lobby bar. Mon-Sun 6:30am-10:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by SirEatsAlot

Awesome raw breakfast - Edit

The raw breakfast is served here each day is awesome. The all-you-can-eat vegan buffet provides a range a home made vegan cheeses, kimchi, salads, cashew yogurt and the standards like cereal. Excellent quality. The price is reasonable considering it's all you can eat, the ingredients are fresh and the food is home made.

Pros: Fresh food, Exotic foods not found elsewhere(kimchi)

Cons: A hotel restaurant

5* vegan options - Edit

It was amazing to go to a hotel restaurant with not only vegan options but vegan CHEESY options. I was really impressed with the food, and the service. Would give this 5* if happy cow let me! Definitely recommend. I had arincini rice balls with vegan cheese. Really hit the spot.

Pros: yum!!

Vegans do not trust!! - Edit

For a restaurant that prides itself being allergy aware, and specialists in vegan and vegetarian food, I was shocked to find out that food brought out to me wasn't actually vegan.

I asked at the very beginning to notify the chef just to make sure that everything brought out to me was 100% vegan.

They brought me out some complimentary bread and olive oil as a dip. As I always do just to make sure, I asked the waitress if the bread was definately vegan before I ate it. She went over to the chef who looked at the ingredients to find there was egg white inside. The chef looked over at me, with a sort of 'sorry smirk' and so I decided to leave before the main course came.

The waitress tried to barter with me, telling me it was a mistake but the rest of the meal is definately vegan. I told her I had lost all trust, and I walked out.

Fairly-priced quality vegan dining - Edit

What a great find! With the majority of dishes being veg*n, it's safe to say that this place is more carnivore-friendly than veg-friendly. We ordered three apps, one main, and a dessert. Everything was great and beautifully presented. Though, if I were to nitpick, I'd argue that 1) the macadamia cheese in their signature salad was a bit underwhelming compared to the amazing vegan cheeses I've tasted in the US and 2) the mushrooms in the mushroom tartlet dish were slightly oversalted. The chocolate dessert trio was otherwise stellar and a perfect way to round off our overall enjoyable meal. Including a glass of wine and tax, the bill came to about NZ$100, which I thought was very reasonable given the quality delivered.

Service was friendly and polite, but a tad slow. Décor is relaxing with tables well spaced apart. My only gripe was the 1.5% surcharge they imposed on credit cards. I'd understand if it was a small mom-and-pop food truck, but for an upscale restaurant in a 4* hotel in the city center?

Pros: fine vegan dining, good value

Cons: slow service

Hectors - Edit

Lovely restaurant with exceptional vegan menu for entrees, meals, desserts and drinks
More of a formal occasion type restaurant

Pros: menu selection!, atmosphere

Cons: price, but still reasonable, bookings sometimes required

awesome - Edit

Two of the most beautiful vegan dishes I have had outside USA. The tables are in an atrium inside the hotel. The service was good and the food was tasty. Highly recommended. I would give it 5 happy cows if I could :)

Pros: beautiful presentation, tasty food

Cons: hotel restaurant

Separate vegan kitchen in 4 star hotel restaurant - Edit

When we visit Auckland overnight, we choose the Heritage Hotel in Wyndham St largely because of the vegan menu at Hectors Restaurant. Although it does have a general menu that includes meat, the vegan menu is separate from it and cooked in a separate kitchen. The lunch specials are interesting - a starter, a main and a dessert delivered on a tray. There a choice of three or four such vegan meals. Because of the two menus, Hector's is a food place to rendezvous with both vegan and non vegan friends. It has a comprehensive wine list and good coffee.
For those staying in this hotel, the breakfast buffet is amazing. As well as a broad international buffet selection, it includes a stunning raw food vegan buffet and diners can have the run of all options. My husband is vegan and I am vegetarian, so this allows me my scrambled eggs if I want them, as well as such vegan delicacies as coconut yoghurt.
The hotel itself is four star and very environmentally savvy in its practices.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 16, 2014

Pros: Separate kitchen for vegan menu, Hotel restaurant providing three meals , Vegan bar snacks in hotel lobby

Hector's - Edit

Excellent vegan options (3 main courses and 3 starters). What a pleasure having vegan options, in very pleasant ambiance. Congrats to the owner and chef!

Pros: vegan options, ambiance

Cons: but pricey but you pay for quality

Always amazing food - Edit

I have been to Hectors several times and the food has always been amazing.
I would highly recommend their vegan meals to all, especially if you are staying in the hotel so you do not have to walk too far after stuffing your self with vegan goodness!

Pros: Yummy, Cheap for the quality, OMG Yummy

Cons: none

Herbivorous High Tea - Edit

I came to the Heritage Hotel on a Sunday afternoon for high tea. We were served finger sandwiches - one with hummus & veges, another with macadamia cheese & veges - as well as sweets, including: cranberry scones, chocolate mini-cupcakes, mini cream tartlets, raspberry lamingtons and vanilla macaroons. Lovely ambience, lovely treats. At $32 per person, it was an expensive afternoon tea, but well worth it and filling too. I hope I can stay at the Heritage next time I'm at Auckland - the other menus look fab!

Pros: High tea!, Haute vegan cuisine, Ambience

Cons: On the expensive side

Terrific tapas - Edit

Had tapas in the lobby of the hotel and it was fantastic. 9 choices, all vegan, at $9 each or 3 for $22. We ordered 6 tapas - the cabbage, olives, polenta, mushrooms, tempeh cigars, and the catalan spinach. All were great and the 6 dishes fed us very well and served as dinner. The 3 best dishes, tho all were good, were the catalan spinach which came with sweet corn dumplings, the tempeh cigars and the mushrooms which were very tasty and had truffle oil. All 3 were large portions, especially the mushrooms which could have served as lunch for one on its own. For drinks there were a range of smoothies and juices - the smoothies even had soy yogurt and soy milk.

I will definitely go back and have tapas again there. It was such a nice experience, sitting in the lobby, reading the papers, watching the world go by and eating such tasty vegan cuisine.

Pros: relaxing, value for money, wide choice of very tasty food

Cons: parking can be hard

Hector's Restaurant - Edit

A top quality and expensive restaurant. Serves about 5 each of entrees and mains which are vegan and these are shown first in each part of the menu for convenience. International style of meals with very creative menus by a top class chef. Suit those with lots of money or wanting a really special occasion.

Pros: excellent, creative

Cons: expensive

Exquisite vegan options made with style and flair - Edit

I visited on World Vegetarian Day 2011 (October) and was treated to a special set menu celebrating the day. It's clear that the Heritage takes pride in their vegan range and even has 100% vegan lobby bar. All three courses were reasonably sized and included a range of flavours without ever going too far. Lots of caramelisation, purees and expert food techniques. After a smoked eggplant quenelle I ordered a dish of green pea risotto served with polenta-crumbed artichoke and radish salad. This was all about as good as you'd expect except for the risotto which completely hit it out of the park. My dinner partner and I had several moments of tasting the food and looking at each other... despite being vegan foodie geeks I am happy to say that we were completely outmatched by this kitchen. Her main was a straight-forward but generous portobelo-tofu wrap with a fabulous mango chutney. Then we both had a dessert that included the best mandarin sorbet in town and agreed we would have to come back. At $58pp in a comfortable and stylish environment with excellent service I actually thought our night was very reasonably priced.

If you're in Auckland looking for a stress-free and memorable fine vegan outing, Hectors would be hard to beat. Friendly staff, beautiful food, nothing over-the-top and very easy to recommend.

Pros: Comfortable, Expert food, Only surprises are happy

At last, a place I can take my Mum to - Edit

Fancy restaurant with fancy prices but highly recommended as a birthday/anniversary/family-in-from-overseas treat. Lots of vegan entrees, soups, mains and desserts to choose from. My last visit I had the bread-crusted tofu which was excellent and my partner had the tempeh which was also very good although I preferred my tofu. And for dessert we had the chocolate sorbet with super yummy passionfruit soy cream. Next visit I'll be trying the Red Pepper and Tomato tarlet, the Mushroom Stew, and the Cinnamon Banana Fritter... might have to skip breakfast and lunch that day.

Excellent! - Edit

Very good food. Not cheap, but a good place to go for something a bit nice. A bit like a vegan restaurant with a few meat options, rather than the typical meat restaurant with 1 vegan option. They've recently expanded their menu and it now includes vegan brunch, bar food, lunch, high tea and the usual dinner/dessert. I would highly recommend it.

Pros: excellent food, huge variety of choice, nice ambiance

Cons: bit pricey

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hectors Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3668 times since Oct 2010.