Lacto
Ovo
Japanese
Beer/Wine
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant group operating multiple outlets in Tokyo - this one is in the Asakusa area by Sumida River, a few minutes walk from the station. Edo style sushi bar and sit-down dining. Offers one vegetarian set which comes with handmade cold soba, veggies, and sides. Reported having vegetable tempura fried in oil that's separate from animal products. Specify vegan when ordering. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-11:00pm.

Venue map for Gonpachi - Asakusa Azumabashi
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by AkihiroShugo

TessaMcgilvray

Points +32

19 Feb 2024

Easy to order vegan

They had a vegetarian menu and was easy to ask for a vegan option. Tempura was tasty.

LewisEatsPlants

Points +1344

16 Nov 2023

Good option with Omni friends

Gonpachi is an easy place to take your Omni friends that aren’t interested In explicitly vegan places or a good way to suggest a compromise for a group meal.

There is a limited vegan menu which makes things easier. I had the Soba, which fine. Nothing remarkable, but still enjoyable.

Be careful with ordering any specials, even if they seem vegan. Recommend double checking with staff. I ordered the grilled eggplant special (because how could this not be vegan right?) and it arrived with a whole fish of Bonito flakes in it. The staff were polite and prepared me a new one without Bonito, but I still wouldn’t recommend that special as the taste was strange and underwhelming.

Jessdee9

Points +86

05 Nov 2023

No sushi at this location

I was really excited to try Gonpachi's vegan sushi and then I realised not all the Gonpachi restaurants have the same menu.

This small restaurant has an open grill in the centre which made the atmosphere really hot and smoky. The service was really bad but possibly because they were understaffed that night. I was super uncomfortable so didn't order anything, just left. But writing this post as a warning to others not to come here if you were expecting sushi.

EmilyHeiman

Points +23

07 Sep 2023

Great soba!

We loved it! The soba with tempura veggies was great. Had a couple of hand rolls as well which were nice. Really good atmosphere with good music.

Pros: Great food, Staff speaks decent English

Cons: A little pricey, Cocktails with little alcohol

TofuJess

Points +172

04 Sep 2023

Nice dinner spot

As recommended by other users, we asked for the vegetarian menu when we got there. The kitchen was about to get closed for that day but the staff was very friendly and took our order anyway. I chose the cold Soba noodles but it did not really hit the spot for me. Besides that, the cocktails we ordered were great.

Nalchen

Points +200

29 Aug 2023

Nice drinks and meals

They have a vegetarian/vegan menu card, just ask for it.

The food is really good and the people there are really friendly and try their best to help you out.

When you are on the second floor you will have a nice view on the river.

Pros: Food is really good, Cocktails are refreshing , The staff is really friendly.

Paggans

Points +42

06 Aug 2023

Good soba lunch

They have a separate vegetarian menu in which almost all dishes (including 3 or 4 types of soba) are vegan.
Sadly no dessert was vegan

Pros: Good choice of soba dishes, Separate vegetarian menu

Cons: No desserts

konhi

Points +40

27 Jul 2023

Excellent atmosphere!

I went to this restaurant after visiting Asakusa.

There's a vegetarian menu on a request. The waiter I talked with spoke perfect English.

The food was lovely, and there were some excellent little details, such as free complementary tea at the end and drinking sauce.

I really liked the atmosphere made by waiters and cooks talking, as it was very alive and cheerful!

Pros: Separate vegetaeian menu, Vivid atmosphere, Nice little details

Mangogirl

Points +1638

10 Jul 2023

Decent alternative

We were eagerly searching for something to eat on our first evening in Tokyo (a Monday, on which a lot of restaurants were closes). Luckily we found Gonpachi! They have separate vegetarian menu with clearly labelled vegan options.
I can recommend the soba set with tempura. It’s not especially cheap and maybe not the most special or delicious dish in town but absolutely good enough to give it a try.
A small warning, if you don’t like the smell of meat being roasted next to you, you might consider another place. There is an open kitchen in there.

Pros: Vegetarian menu

Cons: Not especially cheap

AlanaBanana

Points +1640

19 Jun 2023

Good tempura and many veg options

Aks for the vegetarian menu. Many veg options, near Asakusa station

Pros: Tempura

Kate134

Points +189

10 Jun 2023

Relaxed, open kitchen, vegan options

Easy to order, large choice of vegan dishes on a menu with English. Alcohol free beer and good value

Pros: Separate vegan menu , Relaxed atmosphere; I sat at the counter, You can watch the chefs cook

Nissa00

Points +24

08 Jun 2023

Great!

The staff spoke some English and were very kind!! I had the avocado and the yam temaki and the hot soba. It was really good and reasonably priced! Keep in mind that the temaki is one serving when you order!

iris.sophie

Points +19

29 May 2023

BEST RESTAURANT around!!

Super super nice staff with a separate vegetarian menu for an amazing price point and big selection options!! Super super tasty! 10/10

Pros: Good selection , Amazing price , Nice staff

exothermic

Points +204

28 May 2023

Good staff and food, small portions

The staff were very considerate, asked if I couldn’t have dashi/eggs/dairy. There’s a vegetarian menu to order from with vegan marked but best to make sure.

Everything I got was tasty, and the atmosphere is fun, but the portions are small so make sure you order lots of items.

darleen92

Points +110

26 May 2023

Very considerate staff

They asked if I could have dashi / eggs when I ordered the vegetarian soba with tempura. Good thing because I thought it would be vegan by default!

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious non-alcoholic drinks

wincoop

Points +474

11 May 2023

Sitting around open kitchen

Lots of vegan choices. The vegetarian menu is large and completely vegan except for the deserts. Ask for the separate vegetarian menu: see photo’s. Everything with * is vegan. Side note: the Sumiyaki charcoal grilled veggies are grilled on the same grill as the meat.

Pros: Dining while watching the cooking, Speak good English , Large choice of clearly labeled vegan food

Cons: Using meat grill for grilling veggies

Nattata

Points +365

25 Apr 2023

Stay away

Started off good; I asked for the vegetarian menu and the server asked me if I eat egg, fish broth, etc. She said it was fine that I didn't and they were happy to accommodate. Then my meal came out... The tempura was clearly fish. It was a different server who said as he put it down "for vegetarian!" I pointed out the obvious shrimp tail and told him I couldn't eat that, he just shrugged and walked away. After a bit I got the attention on my original server who looked horribly embarrassed when she saw my plate and took it away, promising it would all be remade.

Once I did get my proper food, it was meh. The tempura was good but I'd had better. Soba portion was quite small. I guess I'm happy I got to check off soba from my Japanese food list, but I wish I had done it somewhere else.

Pros: Vegetarian menu, but they might screw up anyway, Some of the staff speaks English

Cons: Served fish to a vegan, Only some staff understands vegetarian/vegan, Small portion

Prady

Points +242

22 Feb 2023

Amazing soba and good tempura

Wish the portion sizes were a little bigger but great food none the less

Pros: vegetarian menu, they ask what is okay for you to eat

Cons: portion sizes, the skewer appetizers are pretty bad

DeanoWilso

Points +50

22 Jan 2023

Awesome food,

Has a vegetarian menu once you ask. Some food has Dashi, but they are knowledgable and highlighted which ones had it in.

Pros: Feels like a genuine Japanese restaurant, Up market

meg_2917

Points +24

09 Mar 2020

Sehr edel

Das Restaurant ist sehr edel. Die Kellner super freundlich. Damit Touristen wissen, wie man die hand rolls, Tsukemen etc. isst, haben sie Videos und Bilderkarten vorbereitet.
Man hat vom Restaurant einen wunderschönen Ausblick auf den Sumida Fluss.

Es Handel sich bei den Speisen eher um etwas hochpreisigere (was mit so einer hohen Qualität völlig gerechtfertigt ist) Tapas.

Auf jeden Fall einen Besuch wert!

Pros: Super leckere Gerichte (hohe Qualität), Toller Ausblick, Auf Touristen vorbereitet

Cons: Hochpreisiger

gazvegan

Points +163

25 Feb 2020

Confirm item is vegan

They have a vegetation menu with items marked vegan. I selected a vegan item then the waiter asked if I eat eggs and milk. So confirm. Tempura was ok.

AliceLBM

Points +41

18 Feb 2020

Great little place

Stumbled across this place pretty late as we went somewhere else but it was closing. So glad we went here! Ask for the vegan menu, we had lots of tasty plates, slightly fancy but really affordable

Pros: Clearly marked veggie/vegan menu in English , Open late

haimlute

Points +16

26 Dec 2019

Awesome restaurant

One of the best restaurants that I've ever been, excellent service, delicious, vegan variety and lovely place.

Pros: Delicious, awesome service, nice vegan variety. , Not expensive

Cons: No dessert for vegans. , Nothing else

wenxuan

Points +43

Mostly Veg
26 Dec 2019

Food is not bad, but quite pricey

Clear vegetarian menu provided and staff was helpful. However, the portions are pretty small and stuff is pricey. One plate of plain cold soba cost us 750 yen.

Oxylz

Points +22

01 Nov 2019

Great place, great food

Great place, ask for the vegetarian menu - vegan options also available. Friendly staff, you can talk to them for details about what's in the food. The restaurant is pretty and you may enjoy a view on the river from the 2nd floor.

Pros: Special vegetarian menu with vegan options, Service

Willsie66

Points +52

31 Oct 2019

Awesome!

Absolutely love this place, so much so we are going again tomorrow night. We found it last night using the Happy Cow app and so glad we did, husband was happy he could get what he wanted and I had a choice of vegan things to eat. The menu even shows what is vegan using asterix on the separately veggie menu. Staff speak excellent English too and really sweet and helpful. Can't wait to go back!

Pros: Separate veggie menu highlighting vegan options, Staff speak great English and super helpful, Great location

JadeYX

Points +76

21 Oct 2019

Good view with vegan choices

Good view. Some vegan choices. Small portion. Friendly people.