Golden Palate

+91-4427442060

104 East Raja Street, Mamallapuram, Mahabalipuram, India

A vegetarian restaurant in the Mamalla Heritage Hotel in Mahabalipuram. Staff is helpful and will assist in identifying the vegan suitable dishes. Call for hours - tell us.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by Veganswife

Served me meat!! - Edit

I'm only giving this 2 stars because that is the lowest it will allow me to. I ordered the thali, when it arrived it came with several dishes. I strted making my way through them then boticed something odd in one of them. I had assumed it was paneer and perhaps the waiter made a mistake when i asked for them to make it vegan. So i asked the waiter what it was and he said it was chicken, then pointed to something else and said it was fish!!!
I was horrified! I confirmed with them that this was a vegetarian restaurant and they confirmed it was. Despite my repeated asking they were unable to explain how meat ended up on my plate in a vegetarian resturant. They replaced my dish with a vegan one and didn't charge me for anything. However, i believe this is an unforgivable mistake. Luckly i asked and didn't eat the meat, but i could have easily assumed the chicken was tofu and ate it.

Cons: Served me meat dispite being a vegetarian resturan

Lovely Indian vegetarian restaurant - Edit

This restaurant occupies a ground floor location at the Hotel Mamalla Heritage, a quaint older style two or three star hotel in the ancient stone-carving World Heritage town of Mahaballipuram (also known as Mamallaparam). The hotel has a seafood restaurant on the rooftop, but Golden Palate is completely separate. It has a full vegetarian menu (no meat is served) and many of the items are vegan or can be made vegan. We liked it so much that we ate there every night of the week we stayed at the hotel. Most of the guests in the restaurant were Indian - some hotel guests but also locals. The food is genuinely local fare - freshly cooked to order in the basic (but clean) kitchen - and absolutely delicious. Do not expect western luxury or: this is small town Tamil Nadu. Staff are hospitable and were keen to share the their knowledge of the food, culture and the area with us. We loved this town and the restaurant.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 24, 2014

Pros: Vegetarian restaurant with vegan options, Has generator (town power cuts common), Helpful, vegan-savvy staff

Return to Mahabalipuram Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Golden Palate closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.