Godjo

Contact 0140468221

8 Rue de l'Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France, 75005

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cozy little Ethiopian restaurant in the Latin Quarter. Offers a separate vegetarian menu, although it seems to list fish under that menu. Puts butter in most of their vegetarian dishes. Has a traditional vegetarian/vegan platter for four, with extra injera bread. Also has good inexpensive Ethiopian beer. Seems to get quite crowded around 9pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by vegetalien

Vegan- friendly and delicious - Edit

We visited Godjo, near the Pantheon, with a friend and ordered a vegetarian platter for 3 , along with carafe of rosé wine and a beer. The meal was served promptly , with generous sides of injera and we enjoyed it immensely: spicy brown lentils , yellow split peas, spinach , cabbage , lettuce and tomato , mildly spiced lentils. Definitely a satisfying and tasty meal and an option that was clearly vegan.

We had a bit of trouble making the phone reservation & ordering in French ; perhaps English would have been easier for the waitstaff , but it all worked out. I would advise checking a Google map or detailed plan de Paris to locate this destination before setting out. The street is a small one off rue de la Montagne Ste Genevieve, not far from the popular rue Mouffetard, rue Monge & rue des Ecoles.

Pros: Vegan option , Generous portions, Quick service

Cons: Hard to find

Could be better - Edit

Let's start with the objective stuff:

This restaurant offers some vegetarian Ethiopian dishes based on chickpeas, lentils, beans, spinach, etc. It is served in what I think is the Ethiopian way: you get a big plate for two and the food is on some kind of tortilla/crepe. They also bring you 2/3 additional crepes you can use to eat with (I don't think you're supposed to use forks and knives. I can't even remember if we had those.). The full menu with prices is in the pictures or on their website. The food was quite good.

Now, I am not sure I would call this restaurant veg' friendly. You can eat vegetarian but it is not enough to be called veg' friendly in my opinion. Maybe it is me asking too much but as others pointed out, they list fish-based dishes under vegetarian dishes. I also had some pieces of meat in my meal. I don't mind that much but in my opinion, it shows a lack of consideration.

TL;DR: if you wish to try Ethiopian cuisine, go ahead. It is good and filling. But it is not the best veg* restaurant you can find in the neighborhood.

Oh, and also, the place is quite small so if you wish to eat there, you should make a reservation on their website. I think they also have another level for large groups.

Pros: discover Ethiopian cuisine

Cons: not much attention payed to veg* customers

fun delicious hole in wall - great change of pace - Edit

We ordered a great selection of vegetarian (vegan we confirmed) plates "ye tsom" (pas du beurre -and- pas laix). The service was very nice and he brought extra spices on the side as we asked for spicy.

Would highly recommend as an alternative to traditional vegan cuisine in Paris!

Note: if you have a large party (10) you could take over the charming basement

Pros: delicious vegan food, different , nice service

Cons: small place (so could fill up easily), limited selection of vegan options

Delicious! - Edit

We went to Godjo a few weeks ago, and will be going back this week. We got a vegetarian platter which was entirely vegan,* and which was absolutely fantastic. I began to think a while back that I wouldn't be able to find vegetarian Ethiopian food that rivaled my favorite Ethiopian restaurant back in the states (which was entirely vegan), but Godjo comes quite close. You get a large amount of food, all of which is extremely flavorful, and they give you more than enough bread to eat it with. They also have great spiced tea. I did notice that they list "poisson" under the vegetarian menu, so I just asked the waiter for the vegetarian platter "sans poisson," and he seemed just fine with that. It gets quite cramped, especially if you get seated in their (very cozy) basement, but I think that makes it quite fun. It was quite full when we went on a Thursday night (I think we arrived at 7 or 7:30--early by French standards), and was *very* full when we left around 9pm, so reservations might be a good idea. They do serve alcohol. The waitstaff was very friendly and helpful (they seemed to speak some English).

It's reasonably priced (perhaps 15-20 euros per person, plus drinks), given the quality and quantity of the food.

*I recently found out that they put butter in nearly everything. Too bad.

Updated from previous review on Monday June 28, 2010

Pros: Wonderful food, Friendly, Cute

Cons: Fish listed as vegetarian, Not much vegan food

Return to Paris Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Godjo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.