Glut Food Co-op Market

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 301-779-1978

4005 34th St, Mount Rainier, Maryland, USA, 20712

The oldest co-op market in Mt. Rainier/DC-Baltimore area. Has vegan-friendly, mostly organic items, and no meat. Near Rhode Island Ave & Eastern Ave, 1.25 mile from Washington DC. Open Mon 9:00am-7:00pm, Tue-Fri 9:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-7:00pm.

First Review by luperkal

Apparently all-vegetarian co-op from yesteryear. - Edit

Glut- Thanks for banning meat, fish and fowl all these years (I think) and for remaining a throwback to the food co-ops of yesteryear. Thanks for doing your share in keeping Mt. Rainier positively unique.

Pros: All-vegetarian (I think), Nice people, A great community fixture .

In LOVE With This Place... - Edit

As always when I come to D.C., I have to look for some place to get everything I need. When visiting a friend, he told me about this place & oh my goodness. I found everything I needed & then some plus took some things back to Charlotte with me. This will definitely be my staple when visiting D.C. again. ♡♡♡♡♡

Pros: EVERYTHING

Cons: Wished I lived in the D.C. area. :-(

It's a lifesaver - Edit

In a city like DC where many people are transient, GLUT has the right idea. It's structured as any traditional co-op. There's a huge bulk selection - dry and liquid, as well as a great selection of dried fresh fruits. They've got local milk and cheese, which is hard to find in DC. Basically it's all the amenities a conscious eater could ever want, but they recognize that you may bot be here forever and don't charge membership fees. The prices aren't just reasonable for a specialty market, they're also just good for DC in general. Not much parking so ride your bike or take the G8 up Rhode Island.

Pros: Bulk section, well-stocked, Fair prices

Cons: Out of the city

Save a ton of money - Edit

This place is awesome. You have to put a little effort into shopping here, bagging things and finding containers at home for items you're used to getting packaged, but you'll save a ton of money (plus it's environmentally friendly).

I come here once in a while to stock up on pantry items like dried beans, whole wheat pastry flour, vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, nuts, dried fruit, herbs and spices. I'm always stunned by how low my bill is. It's pretty easy to get to with public transportation, metro to rhode island ave and then a short bus ride. If I lived closer I'd come here way more often for things like the fresh local, bulk organic tofu and the insanely good vegan ice cream made at a shop on the same street.

So, shop here! Everyone is really friendly, too - even the other shoppers will smile and greet you.

Pros: bulk items, fresh local tofu, super friendly

Cons: location

Return to Mount Rainier Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Glut Food Co-op Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2440 times since Aug 2007.