Contact 012-3461677

Plac Matejki 2 (at Basztowa), Krakow, Poland, 31-157

Vegetarian bar located in old town Krakow. Serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Food, fruit and vegetable smoothies, wine. Free Wi-Fi and PC station. Mon-Fri 8:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Czech

First Review by kasia

very good, spicy food - Edit

This place is really cozy and rather big compared to the other places in Kraków. Nice staff, yummy food, cheap and comfortable. good location close to the main station! Will definitely come back!

Pros: great vegan meals , cheap , good atmosphere

Classic veg*an spot - Edit

Glonojad is one of the most well-known veg*an places in Cracow and definitely a must-visit while in the city, especially considering its good location. They offer a selection of fresh salads to go with most (if not all) of the dishes. One of their staples are pierogi (dumplings) with lentil feeling, which are utterly delicious and definitely something you have to try while in Cracow! The place has a relaxed feeling and the staff is friendly too.

Pros: low prices, good location, delicious pierogi

Cons: a lot of the dishes are only vegetarian

Amazing vegan pierogis - Edit

Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff, nice seating area outside. I got the lentil pierogis and as not disappointed - they're tasty and filling, and a chance for a vegan to try a variation of the local cuisine. And what's more, I think they only cost the equivalent of £2.60! Very nice that you get the choice of salads to have with it (some vegan, some just vegetarian). Would reccomend!

Pros: Amazing food, Good choice, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Slightly away from central attractions

OK - Edit

It's a good place to visit if you're either a vegetarian or vegan. The variety of vegan food may not be really big, but there's always someting to eat. :)

Pros: good location, tasty food

Cons: not many vegan options

for the love of pierogi - Edit

I came here solely for pierogis and they did not disappoint! They tasted very freshly made and stuffed thickly with a lentil filling. Amazingly cheap too and nice salads :)

Pros: Good seating, Free wifi

Not a lot of vegan food - Edit

Had a delicious tofu panini but that seemed to be the only vegan option for food. No vegan cakes but the waitress said she could go get one from their other restaurant if I wanted. Good English spoken and menu in English, with vegan options indicated.

Nice and good - Edit

The food was lovely and servings were generous. We really appreciated the different salads (2 at choice with our menu). The atmosphere was nice and the staff were friendly.

The coffee was good!

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-29

Nice vegan pierogi - Edit

There are a few vegan options here, and I was excited to finally have the chance to try vegan pierogi. The lentil pierogi were nice, but could have had a little more flavour. They were served with a choice of three salads from the counter, and the staff were helpful in showing me the vegan options. The salads were really flavoursome - moreso than the dumplings. The cookies were also delicious! This is in a great location near the train station, so it's really convenient for travellers, and worth a visit, even if the food isn't the most exciting for vegans.

read review - Edit

This place was super close to the Greg and Tom home hostel where I was staying. They don't have a lot of options at all for vegans. That said, the soy latte is out of this world and the tofu panino was my daily breakfast. Also, this place is really quiet. Perfect for reading

4 - Edit

mixed feelings. i love dumplings with lentils in this place but every time i'm here stuff forgot about my vegan option and serve food in vegetarian way. in other hand they are always very nice but should be more careful. tried other vegan meals in here and were not so good. prices very low.

Pros: dumplings!, lot of space inside, summer garden

Cons: mixing vegetarian options

fantastic vegan food - polish style - Edit

lovely vegetarian spot in central crakau. They had only 3-4 vegan options on the menu but boy - the stuff i tried was so yummy. I had the traditional lentil pierogi and a vegan lassi. Highly recommended!
instagram: kawaiianni

Vegan paradise - Edit

Wow, i was so happy to walk in. It feels like you enter a world of people that fit your lifestyle :). You can get healthy, vegan and super tasty food. From cakes and juices to soup and salads. Fantastic!!

Pros: Vegan, Healthy, Cheap

Cons: Not

My favourite restaurant in Poland - Edit

I loved this place! I was on the hunt for some traditional Polish food but vegan which had proved challenging until I discovered Glonojad. I tried the pirogues with beetroot and carrot and raisin salad which was a delicious meal. They also have great wifi!

tasty - Edit

Really tasty food. I had a veg burrito and you get a choice of 2 salads, which were delicious. Girlfriend had a curry w/rice & salad. Tasted them too, yum. Was watching other customers and they cleaned up their plates too.

Pros: Reasonably priced and good food.

Cons: Easy to find by the address but sign was pretty sm

Not a Lot of Actual Choice - Edit

At least, there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice - despite the seemingly quite extensive menu - if you go from 8pm onwards, at which point they will have sold out of most things (including draft beer!). I was hoping for quite a lot from Glonojad, as a friend had visited it a few years previously and spoke well of the place, but, in truth, I was a little underwhlemed. The food, of which I had the Russian style pierogies, was fine, but nothing that couldn't be purchased from a million other places. Nice fish logo, though.

Find this little gem! - Edit

We were so tickled to find this place that we went there three times during our short stay in Krakow. All vegetarian with lots of vegan options (I'm vegan). Entrees can be ordered a la carte or with your choice of about six different sides. Tap beer and cider available, good coffee drinks available with soy milk, and large portions. Oh, and did I mention, it's super cheap! Outdoor seating available. Very friendly and helpful staff (mostly college students) who speak English. I told my friend that if this restaurant was in my home town, I would be eating out a lot! WOW! I miss this place.

Pros: All vegetarian with vegan options, Good healthy food, Amazing value

Not enough vegan options - Edit

I thought Glonojad was just okay. There was a lot of choice for vegetarians but not enough for vegans in my opinion. Out of 8 delicious looking salads, only 3 of the most bland looking were vegan (celery salad, grated carrot or roast beetroot). Even though there is a vegan curry listed on the menu I was told upon ordering that they only had non-vegan curries that day. My boyfrend and I shared a burrito and lentil prerogis. The prerogis were delicious (and I was very happy to finally be able to try this traditional Polish cuisine!), but the burrito wasn't very nice. It had a heavy Indian flavour and didn't taste like a burrito at all. I will say the vegan hot chocolate (orange and cinnamon) was AMAZING, but probably not worth going back.

Pros: Good hot chocolate, Nice prerogis

Cons: Not enough options, Disappointing burrito

good food, nice atmosphere - Edit

I had planned to come here,but then decided to go to NovaKrova instead for lunch. Thanks to a thunderstorm I still ended up there - soaked, but still not very hungry. Nonetheless I decided to try the (vegan) Samosas and a fruit smoothie and I am happy about it - super tasty!
Also the location and the atmosphere is good, despite many vegan places, which often look a bit more like fast food snack bars, this one really looked professional and still it was not expensive.

Pros: food, atmosphere, service

Cons: none

Great! High quality and value for money! - Edit

It was a pleasure to find it. Glonojad has a lot of vegetarian and vegan options for good prices. Big and well-prepared portions, tasty desserts and attentive staff. Good fresh salads, pasta (the lasagna was great!), pierogi... You can order also to take away. The local is big and cozy, with nice vibe. In fact, one of our best experiencies in our travel around Poland. We would like to come back again!

Pros: High fresh-food quality, Value for money, Friendly staff

nice place but not many GF and VEGAN options - Edit

glonojad aart of a freidly name has a nice interior friendly staff and is busy (mostly young people). ive been there only once and had chilli with tofu and buckwheat with selection of 2 salads. unfortunately i had a very limited choice - vegan and gluten free were just 2 options in menu. the price was good and food fast.

Pros: good value, tasty food, nice place

Cons: not many GF and VEGAN options

A lovely place to eat - Edit

One of the friendliest vege places I have ever been to. Much more cosy than most bars, it's really nice to linger there over your food or tea (while other bars like that in Cracow are rather canteen-style). It's nicely decorated and they they put some tables outside if the weather is good. Glonojad is situated very close to the Main Train Station, so it's great to pop in before you hit the road ;)

The food is tasty, but servings are rather on the small side.

What's also worth saying, you can get your bike serviced there while you're enjoying your meal ;) Plus wi-fi.

Pros: location, relaxing place

Cons: small servings

Good - Edit

Went a couple of times during our visit in the city. Nice to be able to try "local" food without having to worry about hidden animal ingredients. Enough choices. Would come again.

Pros: Wifi, alcohol, friendly staff

OK - if you're hot, exhausted, hungry and new here - Edit

"Glonojad" is a prime example of what is a class of its own in the Polish culinary landscape - the "bar". It is a painfully misleading term for the many young, male Brits visiting Krakow as a setting for their beer tasting (and expectoriating), since the bar is not the place to get your booze, but rather your orders taken, your food fetched and the empty plates returned to.

Of the ca. 20 dishes offered only 2-4 are vegan, 2-3 more can be "veganized" (i.e. cleansed of animal secretions without any replacement or price reduction). Shakes can be made with plant based milks (which is also true for the vegan "Lassi", since they don't have vegan yoghurt - and therefore no vegan Lassi). Smoothies ("smufy" ;) taste great and fruity. The food is the typical "world" fare (burrito, samosa, chili, dumplings), standard salad selection, nothing special. Solid. Closest veggie venue to the train station, and that's almost the only time I go there: when arriving in Krakow.

Pros: Close to the train station, nice smoothies, affordable

Cons: Poor vegan offer and , unspectacular food and interior

Lovely friendly place to eat veggie - Edit

Having read the reviews on Happy Cow we were delighted that this lovely café was so close to our hotel and we were able to go straight there on our first night in Krakow. A great start to our holiday. Staff were helpful, friendly and spoke English. There is an easy going relaxed atmosphere. Food was tasty and filling with wonderful variety of salads. Loved the vegan chilli with buckwheat and the dumplings. Very affordable. We ended up coming back for another meal the next night and for coffee and cake another time too! It's not too far from the main square and the train station - definitely recommend it!

Pros: friendly staff , menus in English, reasonably priced

By far the best in Krakow! - Edit

We ate there several times and simply loved it! The food is extremely tasty and cheap (around 10-15 Zloty for a main course) and a lot of dishes are vegan or can be veganised.

Pros: great food, perfect location - near the station, free wifi

Cons: not completely vegan

Central & quick but nothing special - Edit

Located just a few minutes from the main station it is within easy reach.
I ate there a vegan curry with tofu, which was ok. You get your meal immediately, without waiting at all. But as in all quick service restaurants the quality cannot be the best. It's still ok, though.

Pros: no waiting, nice ambience

Cons: lukewarm/watery food

Bad day? - Edit

Having read all the rave reviews, I thought I'd give this busy place a try. I knew not to expect a wide range of vegan dishes, so I chose the dish that I had not yet tried: lentil pierogies - the Glonojad version - with two side salads. I'm not sure what the dumplings were meant to taste like, but I was not impressed at all! Perhaps they were half-cooked, perhaps the filling was over-cooked; I don't know, but the dumplings failed me completely. Thankfully the salads were rather tasty. Overall, though, this sort of meal is so light that it cannot be anything other than a snack.

The cafe is very busy at lunchtime and all the staff speak English. Perhaps I was there on an off day for the chef. I was also disappointed to see that there was no vegan dessert choices.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 11, 2013

Pros: Good atmosphere, trained, English-speaking staff, quick service

Cons: Lentil pierogies, no vegan cakes

Would Recommend - Edit

I ate countless meals here while I stayed in Krakow. It was easy to find and the staff was pretty friendly. I really liked the carrot and raisin salad! Also, the smoothies and iced coffee were really good! I just wish there had been more vegan desserts

Cons: cookies were the only vegan dessert

Excellent vegetarian - Edit

We dined there only once and got there by recommendation of our vegan tour guide. Food was served quickly (chili, fava bean curry) and we regret since we did not have time to try more items from the menu, mostly vegetarian. They also had some vegan choices. For dessert we had delicious fresh fruit smoothies that were perfect match with extremely sunny weather in Cracow that time. Price wise it came to 17 euros for dinner for two including coffees, salads, main dishes and smoothies.

Pros: large vegetarian menu, low price, quick service

Cons: crowded

Just Ok - Edit

Not too many options for gluten free. The food was a bit bland and the service wasnt super good. Definitely not the best in town.

Pros: Good location

Cons: Bland, Few gluten free options, Confusing service

little gem - Edit

our first trip to Cracow was made all the nicer by finding the Glonojad on HappyCow.

we stayed in a hotel about 300m away from it and on arrivig o the first night tired and hungry we headed straight there.

the staff were very friendly and relaxed in a professional way and helped us out with the menu and the way things were done.

the food (chilli and buckwheat, green pasta and lentil perogies) was served up very quickly and came in plentiful supply. wholesome and tasty veggie meals at a very good price.

on our second day and after a visit to auschwitz we were exhausted and needed to eat, again we headed straight for glonojad for more excellent food (enchilladas and burritos this time).

we highly recommend Glonojad for vegetarians (or anyone else) who wants good food at a very reasonable price in Cracow.

Pros: great value, excellent food, extensive menu

Great food - Edit

I stumbled on this place by accident, and I was really glad I did. I wound up going here every day while I was in Krakow. Their coffee is cheap, they have new options every day, free wifi, very friendly employees, warm atmosphere (nice change from the cold Krakow winters).

My favorite is the chili served over rice. Definitely check it out. Prices are quite cheap, also.

Pros: Vegan chili, Friendly staff, All-veg

Excellent range of food - will eat here again - Edit

I ate here in January 2013 and was very glad I did as the food was lovely and there were many options. I would definitely eat here again. Wifi also available here which is a plus. There is no table service as is the case with the other places I have visited in Krakow but the staff seem friendly.

Worth going to but not a lot of vegan options - Edit

The staff knew right away what was vegan and would could be made vegan when I asked. I had some delicious lentil dumplings along with a slice of carrot cake. Not my favorite place since there are only a few vegan options, but definitely worth checking out if you get sick of Cafe Mylnek or Momo.

Friendly, fast and filling food - Edit

Nice folks and the food is clean, 100% vegetarian with a good # of vegan options. Polish style cooking, only meatless. Veggie patties nice with choice of grain and sauce. Others liked their samosas. Great deal for a nice lunch in a friendly atmosphere. Wireless Internet too.

Pros: friendly people, fast service, filling Polish veg food

Cons: not super unique

The Wonderful Algae Eater - Edit

Really special place in a fantastic setting right next to the Pomnik Grunwaldzki on Plac Matejki. Excellent choice of mainly Polish influenced food or international food served in a Polish style; potato cakes, sweet and savoury pierogi (dumplings), samosas, curry, salads, lasagne and other pasta dishes. Tyskie beer is available on draught, bottled beers and other cold drinks as well as excellent coffee and other hot drinks are also served. Modern interior, friendly staff and a great place to chill out especially on a sunny afternoon on the outside seating. Vegan choice is OK but could be better. Krakow now has a great complement of vegetarian places and this is a fantastic addition.

Pros: food, staff, service

Cons: vegan choice

simple and filling - Edit

We went here for lunch I just had the somosas with a lovely homemade tomato sauce very filling. My mum had chickpea curry, the chickpeas bit hard but good healthy food definately worth going in a meat filled city

Pros: healthy, cheap, simple

Cons: bit bland

Scrummy! - Edit

This place is awesome for vegetarians. The Memebers of Staff speak English & the Menu is also avaliable in English. The staff know which options on the menu are vegan & they have a nice selection of smoothies at rediculously low prices.
When we visited the Glonojad we had just returned from a tour of Auschwitz & Birkenau & were in need of some nourishment after an emotionally draining trip. The tour company & pick up for our tour was next door to the Glonojad, so a really handy location.

Pros: Low Price, Large Variety, English speaking staff

Cons: Portions can be on the small side

very nice - Edit

I only popped there for coffee and some sweet applecakes with cream (racuchy),which were really nice. Coffee served in beautiful china. The whole place has quite minimalistic deco, but gorgeous. Not much choice in food, but definitely worth coming. I will surely come back. The name in Polish means that little fish which eats seaweeds!

Return to Krakow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Glonojad closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8099 times since Feb 2010.