Ginger Monkey

4 Baines Cres (at Surfcoast Hwy), Torquay, Victoria, 3228

A vegetarian cafe/coffee house with clearly labeled vegan options. Serves a large and eclectic variety of dishes. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Italian, Western, Juice bar, Asian

First Review by surfergirl

Not really that vegan-friendly - Edit

We came here for lunch on a weekend visit to Torquay. I had already been a bit concerned about vegan options from viewing the menu on line, but when we arrived the menu was different again, with only one breakfast and one lunch item marked as veganisable by removing ingredients. I asked the staff about options and they and the chef were helpful in pointing out a couple of other modifiable dishes. I ordered the tofu burger, which was a decent size, but a little unexciting. Contained in two slices of bread, its only condiments were peanut butter (as stated on the menu, so can't complain) and what seemed to be either a barbecue or sweet soya sauce. My companion ordered the Punjabi curry (vegan by replacing yoghurt with avocado: fair swap), which I sampled, and we agreed it lacked flavour, more like vegetables in a mild sauce. At around $17 each, the meals were not cheap. While staff were helpful, I do not agree that this place is vegan-friendly. Two listed vegan options that involve removing major ingredients (egg) is not a great number. While other dishes could be modified after discussion with the chef, to me vegan-friendly means I shouldn't have to think that hard.

Pros: Friendly and helpful staff

Cons: Food not that good, Not cheap, Vegan options limited/not clearly marked

Chunky Monkey - Edit

Good honest vegetarian food at reasonable prices.The coffee is quite good with a choice of milks.Great salads,just check with the friendly and informative staff as some may contain non vegan mayo or white cheese.
All in all a great new addition to the growing Surfcoast Vego scene.
Seems very popular with the local surf industry crowd and can get quite busy at times.Great music and nice chill vibe.

Pros: great staff, excellent parking, fresh and flavoursome

Cons: More tofu, quite busy at lunchtime

Return to Torquay Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ginger Monkey closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 343 times since Apr 2016.